Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / New Releases & Stuff For Sale / THE MIDWEST BEAT "Gone Not Lost" LP out June 14
Posted: May 26, 2011 12:10 am | Edited by: dustymedical

Dusty Medical Records is proud to present the Wisconsin quartet's second full-length...

THE MIDWEST BEAT
GONE NOT LOST
LP, DMR-27

1. Sister Mary Katherine
2. Bethany
3. Alone Now
4. Obliterated
5. Firefly
6. When She Came To Town
7. Gone Not Lost
8. Crawlin Back
9. Belladonna
10. Spent Love
11. All Night Long
12. Too Late To Care
13. Worried-Scared
14. Furlington
15. Ain't It Strange

Videos:

Ain't It Strange

When She Came To Town

The Midwest Beat have a modest approach: making good music.

Jukebox-ready tunes that are mercilessly concise, relentlessly uptempo, and saturated in vocal harmonies. If anything, the average Midwest Beat song is overstuffed, a smidge too fast, too eager to please, too damn infectious.

Memorable hooks that recall cool and classic 60s garage pop bounce (think Zombies), but are updated with the swagger and urgency of 70s power pop (think Paul Collins' Beat). With a slight twang bend and a thin layer of fuzz draped over the vocals. Their harmonies are delightful throwbacks to retro pop goodness, layered over the jangly twang of their guitars which are delicately laced with bits of psychedelia. Heavy on harmonies but not detracting from cool, clear sounds. Faster and looser than their predecessors (but not careless and sloppy) with spot-on backing vocals.

'Gone Not Lost' expands on the jangles, harmonies, and perky tempos that first endeared the band to local music geeks, but also channels the damn-near-innocent heart of '60s soul singles. The guitar work is bright, and sometimes surfy, the drums are always straightforward. Somewhere underneath all that past-praising there is a serious band trying to make well-crafted songs.

The Midwest Beat
<capellechristopher@gmail.com>
Dusty Medical Records
<kevin@themistreaters.com>

ON TOUR in EUROPE June/July 2011

16/06 THU - Lochness Pub - Riva del Garda (TN)
17/06 FRI - Edon - Bergamo
18/06 SAT- Titty Twister - Villadossola (VB)
19/06 SUN - Offers Welcome!
20/06 MON - White Trash Fast Food - Berlin
21/06 TUE - Komet - Hamburg (D)
22/06 WED - Haus - Kassel (D)
23/06 THU - Waldmeister Club - Solingen (D)
24/06 FRI - PlanB - Munster (D)
25/06 SAT - Epple Haus - Tuebingen (D)
26/06 SUN - Dreiknigskeller - Frankfurt (D)
27/06 MON - Mudd Club - Strasbourg (F)
28/06 TUE - Lio Bar - Brescia
29/06 WED - Spazio 4 - Piacenza
30/06 THU - Cascina Irma - Zan? (VI)
01/07 FRI - Shake Club - La Spezia
02/07 SAT- Festival Beat at Devil's Den - Salsomaggiore (PR)
Posted: Jun 15, 2011 11:05 am

AVAILABLE NOW!!!!

http://dustymedical.com/DMR-27.html

Onion A/V Club review
http://www.avclub.com/madison/articles/the-midwest-beat-gone-not-lost, 57379/

Gone Not Lost B+
The Midwest Beat
by Joel Shanahan June 10, 2011

Don't be fooled by the drugged-up, psychedelic cover art of The Midwest Beat's latest effort, Gone Not Lost; it's still the same mop-topped crew jamming the English beat and British Invasion into rocket boots for record geek consumption. Instead of frequently wandering off into masturbatory binges of reverb-soaked guitar fuzz indulgence (as the cover might suggest), the record has been sledgehammered into 15 concise chunks of concentrated pop that never creep past that dreaded three-minute mark, and they're dominated by an even-handed back-and-forth between lead songwriters Matt Joyce and Kyle Denton.

The guitar-pop spirit of old Beat favorites like "J Man's Blues" and "Girl Gone West" still haunts the high-powered upswing of Joyce's "Sister Mary Katherine," Denton's infectious "Bethany," and bassist Logan Kayne's revved up, Dave Clark Five channeler "Spent Love." But the dynamic Gone Not Lost takes a winning dive into the sweet alt-country balladry of the Denton-lead "Crawlin' Back" (a duet with Sugar Stems' Betsy Heibler) and the organic waltz of "Firefly" without losing much momentum.

Heibler isn't the only pal the quartet enlisted this time around. The Motorz' Kyle Motor and The Low Czars' Bob Koch chip in backing vocals on "When She Came To Town" and "Sister Mary Katherine" respectively, and former-Jaill and The Goodnight Loving member Ryan Adams actually donated one his own tunes?tom-fueled rocker "All Night Long," with a shared lead with big harmonies between Joyce and Denton.

The tunes come neatly gift-wrapped with big hooks, back vocals that actually serve a purpose, and all the little details like bridges and pre-choruses that have somehow slipped through the cracks of modern pop. While the experimentation on Gone Not Lost may be a bit lacking and the strength of the Beat's sonic identity could get lost in the grand scheme of things, the album still finds the band doing what it does best: setting its crosshairs on the fine art of constructing a great pop-rock song and hitting the target.
Posted: Jun 15, 2011 11:17 am

The Midwest Beat's 5 favorite Midwest rock 45s
http://www.avclub.com/milwaukee/articles/the-midwest-beats-5-favorite- midwest-rock-45s,56976/
by Joel Shanahan June 7, 2011

Over the past several years, The Midwest Beat has earned a reputation as "the record geek's band." That's due largely to the mighty songwriting tug-of-war between Matt Joyce, Logan Kayne, and Kyle Denton. On the Beat's upcoming effort, Gone Not Lost, the quartet works together to keep its sonic canoe from capsizing with plenty of focus and tight-knit songwriting, making a surprisingly cohesive record out of a situation that would bring infernal chaos to many other bands.

In anticipation of The Midwest Beat's record release show at Linneman's June 10, The A.V. Club seized an opportunity to chat with Joyce and Kayne about a few of their favorite Wisconsin rock 45s, the beauty of being inept, and just how much an "oompa"-style bassline can add to a song.

Robin And The Three Hoods, "I Wanna Do It"

Matt Joyce: One of my favorite Midwest rock singles. Bob Koch (The Low Czars) played that shit for me, and it's great. It was done by East High School students, here in Madison. Logan, when did that come out? You know more about this shit. I just listen to it.

Logan Kayne: It was recorded at Cuca Records in Sauk City, I think.

MJ: It's got a bitchin' guitar solo; it's kind of "oompa-y." [Makes tuba noise.]

LK: It was originally written by The Strangeloves, these three music producers from New York. They were pre-bubblegum songwriters. They did the original version of "I Want Candy."

MJ: I like that the "oompa" was added.

LK: Yes, there's definitely an "oompa" influence.

The Triumphs, "Surfside Date"

LK: They were either from Sheboygan or Kenosha or Racine, or something. It sounds pre-'60s Invasion. It at least sounds like it. It's just really dumb frat stuff. The bass player is walking. I don't even know if he knows where he's trying to go. It's got an incredible sax solo, the singer is horrible, and the lyrics are dumb as hell. I think it's from '62 or '63. It's about taking ladies on a surfside date. "We're gonna hang out on Lake Michigan and go to a cabin and see what happens," with a nasty sax in the background. It's just full of mistakes; it's great. I heard the drummer [Bruce Cole] ended up teaching at Marquette or something. It's beautifully inept.

Sticks N Stones, "Red Light"

MJ: Our label, Dusty Medical, put out an awesome record last summer by a band that is no longer together called Sticks N Stones. They put out a single called "Red Light." It's awesome. It features John E who plays in Sugar Stems and played in Catholic Boys. It's a great snotty punk-pop song?not "pop-punk," but rather "punk-pop." It's got really snotty vocals. Great melody, great band.

The Shivvers, "Teen Line"

LK: It's power-pop, like power-pop. I like the keyboard outro, how it's, like?what??four and a half minutes long?

The A.V. Club: And it's totally not inept.

LK: No, it's the opposite of inept. They've got their shit together, and it's catchy as fuck, too. The singer is phenomenal. Oh, man. Help me out, Matt. What do you like about The Shivvers?

MJ: Uh, that they have two "V"s in their name.

LK: Yeah, two "V"s are better than one.

AVC: You should just split the "W" in Midwest Beat into two "V"s.

LK: I've heard about people digging this single out of shops in Milwaukee pretty recently. Personally, I would have kept it, but collectors have been flipping that shit on eBay for hundreds of dollars.

The Haskels, "Taking The City By Storm"

LK: That's got to be one of the best Wisconsin singles of all time. People used to find these for a couple bucks at Flipville in Milwaukee. The dude knew what he had, but he'd still sell it to people for as low as five bucks. There were dozens of punk bands in every city when The Haskels put this out, but "Taking The City By Storm" was so brutally good. The drummer is badass, and the same with the attitude; everything about it works. I think the main guy [Jerome "Presley Haskel" Brisch] died. At the time they were a three-piece, and they were one of the few punk bands that had two black guys in the band. I guess Bad Brains was around, but it was pretty rare in the punk scene when this record came out in 1980.
Posted: Jun 15, 2011 11:18 am

Anti-jam band The Midwest Beat keeps it short and sweet
http://host.madison.com/article_b083496f-8c0a-5a13-bbd6-49fd30fc5e1b.h tml

ANDY DOWNING | The Capital Times | adowning@madison.com | No Comments Posted | Posted: Tuesday, June 7, 2011 9:00 am

Midwest Beat singer/guitarist Matt Joyce can easily identify with the opening scene from the movie "Once," where a street busking Glen Hansard gives chase to a man who bolts after stealing his money.

"One time some kids reached into my case (and grabbed my money), so I put my guitar up over my head and chased them down," said Joyce, 31, who still can be found busking solo on State Street on most weekend nights. "They were like, 'We didn't take your money!' And what was I going to do, bash them over my head with my guitar?"

While few nights end with him running down thieves, performing outside amid the drunken catcalls ("Get a job, hippie!" is a constant taunt) has helped Joyce develop a thick skin. This tough exterior can be heard all over The Midwest Beat's latest album, "Gone Not Lost" (Dusty Medical Records), a hook-laden, garage-rock rumbler that finds the quartet blasting through 15 songs in just a shade over half an hour.

"I get out my editor's pen if a song goes over 2:45," said Joyce, who performs with his bandmates at the High Noon Saloon on Saturday, June 11. "We don't get into long jams."

Pressed as to why the band prefers to keep things short, Joyce similarly avoided lengthy answers, responding to each inquiry with a tidy sound bite: "Maybe we have ADD"; "Brevity is the soul of wit"; "I get bored easily."

Many of the songs on "Gone Not Lost," which was recorded over the course of a year beginning in late 2009, deal with women, who appear here as both saviors and destroyers. Witness the back-to-back pairing of the lovestruck "Bethany" (sample lyric: "And my heart it beats with thunder") and the devastated "Alone Now," which twists the steady thump of the human heart into something much more solitary as Joyce sings "The beating of your heart is a lonely sound."

"I don't think I have any of the ?good' woman songs on there," said Madison-native Joyce, who started the band with drummer Christopher Capelle in 2005 on the heels of a bad split from his then-girlfriend. "That's when all the bitter breakup songs started, now I'm trying to get them all out on record so I can move on."

From the onset, Joyce and Capelle shared a similar taste in music, and this DNA can be heard on The Beat's latest, from The Replacements-esque swagger of drinking anthem "Obliterated" (dig the clinking beer bottles that rise near the close of the tune) to the Byrds-ish thrum of "When She Came To Town," which builds around a guitar riff reminiscent of those opening notes on "Turn! Turn! Turn!"

"Oh yeah," agreed Joyce. "That song starts with a Roy Orbison tag, then goes into a Byrds riff and then into The Who. I figure if there are five or six mash-ups on there you can call it an original, right?"

The band isn't afraid to mix things up, either, judging from the campfire folk of "Crawlin' Back," a solitary acoustic ballad that stands out amid the clutter ? the sound of the bandmates catching their collective breath.

"We're all about diversity," said Joyce. "Someone wrote a review once that we were genre-jumping so much that it was like we were trying too hard. I don't get that. I like lots of different kinds of music, so I see no problem putting an acoustic song on an album as sprawling as this."

Joyce's musical history proves his point. The guitarist got his start in Chemical Imbalance, a noise-rock band that sometimes punctuated shows by smashing fax machines, before moving on to the more straightforward indie-rock of The Shivers. But it wasn't until forming The Midwest Beat that Joyce really found his voice.

"The three songs I wrote on that first EP are the first songs I felt really proud about," he said. "There was just this tangible feeling to them. I don't know. They just seemed more real."
Posted: Jun 15, 2011 11:25 am

AVAILABLE NOW!!!!

Onion A/V Club review
http://www.avclub.com/madison/articles/the-midwest-beat-gone-not-lost, 57379/

Gone Not Lost B+
The Midwest Beat
by Joel Shanahan June 10, 2011

Don't be fooled by the drugged-up, psychedelic cover art of The Midwest Beat's latest effort, Gone Not Lost; it's still the same mop-topped crew jamming the English beat and British Invasion into rocket boots for record geek consumption. Instead of frequently wandering off into masturbatory binges of reverb-soaked guitar fuzz indulgence (as the cover might suggest), the record has been sledgehammered into 15 concise chunks of concentrated pop that never creep past that dreaded three-minute mark, and they're dominated by an even-handed back-and-forth between lead songwriters Matt Joyce and Kyle Denton.

The guitar-pop spirit of old Beat favorites like "J Man's Blues" and "Girl Gone West" still haunts the high-powered upswing of Joyce's "Sister Mary Katherine," Denton's infectious "Bethany," and bassist Logan Kayne's revved up, Dave Clark Five channeler "Spent Love." But the dynamic Gone Not Lost takes a winning dive into the sweet alt-country balladry of the Denton-lead "Crawlin' Back" (a duet with Sugar Stems' Betsy Heibler) and the organic waltz of "Firefly" without losing much momentum.

Heibler isn't the only pal the quartet enlisted this time around. The Motorz' Kyle Motor and The Low Czars' Bob Koch chip in backing vocals on "When She Came To Town" and "Sister Mary Katherine" respectively, and former-Jaill and The Goodnight Loving member Ryan Adams actually donated one his own tunes?tom-fueled rocker "All Night Long," with a shared lead with big harmonies between Joyce and Denton.

The tunes come neatly gift-wrapped with big hooks, back vocals that actually serve a purpose, and all the little details like bridges and pre-choruses that have somehow slipped through the cracks of modern pop. While the experimentation on Gone Not Lost may be a bit lacking and the strength of the Beat's sonic identity could get lost in the grand scheme of things, the album still finds the band doing what it does best: setting its crosshairs on the fine art of constructing a great pop-rock song and hitting the target.
Posted: Jun 20, 2011 10:41 am

color vinyl copies are gone.
Posted: Aug 10, 2011 10:15 am

http://bullcityrecords.com/wnng/2011/08/10/new-music-the-midwest-beat/

I first stumbled across the Midwest Beat by way of an ambitious 27″ on Dusty Medical Records a few years back. Through 7″s and LPs by The Goodnight Loving, Thomas Function, Black Lips, Mistreaters, Tuff Bananas, Hunches, etc., I'd gotten to know Dusty Medical as a trustworthy label for hook-laden garage.

At first I was confused by the unconventional release method (why not just put it on a 12″?) and might have even scoffed a little bit, but I figured the label knew what they were doing. That double 7″ ended up delivering better than most powerpop full lengths did back when it was released in 2008. I became addicted. I understood the release method the tracks were all too good to risk losing any to the middle of a full length. The tracks were all single-worthy.

Now Dusty Medical has returned the band to us in full length form by way of Gone Not Lost and they're still kicking just as powerful as they were then. This Milwaukee powerpop group is pulling influence from classics along the lines of the Kinks, Big Star and Paul Collin's Beat (or the Nerves), but still keeps the songs modern, urgent and just loose enough to compete in today's overflowing streets of garage rock. If you don't carry the potential to fall apart right at the hinges at any given moment, then you might be doing something wrong. Well, as far as I'm concerned I guess.

If you're a fan of fellow Milwaukeeans, Goodnight Loving or Atlanta's Gentleman Jesse & His Men, then this is 100% up your alley. Get ready.
Posted: Mar 25, 2012 11:05 pm

new Midwest Beat stuff available online here:
http://www.etsy.com/people/chopperchioda

* Bring the Water 7"
* Hosehead cassette
* Kind Turkey cassette

http://www.etsy.com/people/chopperchioda
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®