Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / New Releases & Stuff For Sale / STAAGS! Adult Brigade EP available now
Posted: Aug 15, 2008 10:18 am

Nerdy hardcore punk for the masses. Post-grad angst mixed with professional bitterness and steeped in Memphis. Recorded during a snowstorm with borrowed equipment and short a player and it still comes across as a coherent record. Not bad for a bunch of drunk jerks that are too lazy to live up to their potential.

There are allegedly 100 red copies (I can only find 90 so far) that come with a pin. 20 are up at Goner.

$6.50 ppd in the US. Would prefer to stay away from individual international orders and just do distros but if you just can't wait email me and we can discuss it.

Paypal is dhrrecords AT gmail.com All other inquiries can be directed here as well.
Posted: Aug 15, 2008 10:57 am

Rats, I wish this would've been up when I placed my Goner order yesterday.
Posted: Aug 15, 2008 11:20 am

You're a rat.
Posted: Aug 15, 2008 12:12 pm

Posted: Aug 16, 2008 4:01 am

THREE! Count 'em! THREE inserts for the red copies (because Karl doesn't know how to copy on two sides of one sheet of paper; FUCK YOU, EARTH!)

Tips on project management included.
Posted: Aug 17, 2008 12:21 am

sorry, out of town for goner cart insertion (yes, i'm the man.)

monday!
Posted: Aug 18, 2008 10:41 am

Hooray!
Posted: Aug 18, 2008 6:28 pm

Hey!

It's in the cart now!
Posted: Aug 20, 2008 4:28 pm | Edited by: Jack Stands

Posted: Aug 21, 2008 10:17 am

oooohhhh....i want one!
Posted: Aug 21, 2008 5:07 pm

I bought TWO!
Posted: Aug 21, 2008 5:22 pm

Then I realised I bought one too many.

ONE Staags! rules!
Posted: Aug 22, 2008 12:06 pm

Give one to Guy (wherever the hell he is, these days)!
Posted: Aug 22, 2008 2:07 pm

Posted: Aug 28, 2008 8:50 am

Makes an excellent stocking stuffer.
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 10:12 am

Anybody gotten theirs yet? I went to a different post office branch this time.
Posted: Sep 2, 2008 1:38 pm

Cart says "not found". Do y'all need some more?
Posted: Sep 4, 2008 7:23 pm

Officecore.
Posted: Sep 7, 2008 3:05 am

Red is just about out.
Posted: Sep 10, 2008 12:14 pm

Goner still has a couple and I know Florida's Dying got some, but Cameron is close to being out of the red ones. If anyone else wants one, or if another store needs them, contact Cameron at DHRR.

Also, I know most got the CDR promo, and DHRR did send some of the 7" out for review, but I think most went to hardcore places. If you need one, holler.
Posted: Sep 26, 2008 3:31 pm

Posted: Oct 1, 2008 4:26 pm

Not back in the cart yet, but Goner has some more up there. Also got a big box of 'em from Cameron before his big trip.
Posted: Oct 1, 2008 4:49 pm

Robin, you gave me a copy and I forgot that I had just bought one at Goner. I'm giving the extree one to Dutch. He'll be stoked.
Posted: Oct 17, 2008 10:56 am

Posted: Nov 6, 2008 4:49 pm

Really great review from Terminal Boredom:
Staags! "Adult Brigade" EP
Staags are some elderly Memphis gents kicking some real shit to show the fucking kids what the fuck is up. I really liked the tape they sent in earleir in the year, but I really don't remember it being this fucking fast. You know what this fucking sounds more than a little like? When the Beastie Boys recorded that hardcore record, 'Aglio y Olio', remember that? It was a great little record. This has that same semi-sloppy and blown-out hardcore-punk vibe, with real prominent kinda fuzzy basslines, I swear they even steal part of the breakdown from "Nervous Assistant", but I'm totally okay with it. The one-two opening salvo ("Forfeited My Youth" and "Get Off My Lawn") on this thing is impossible to follow, but the "solo" on "batshit Crazy" does a really great job of trying. Retardedly good! When you listen to this with other people for the first time they look at you like "Are they really doing that?". Ballsy and hilarious. The B-Side isn't quite as good, but maintains the humorous yet deadly attack. This thing starts off so blazing though, I love it...fucking punk as hell. I play the shit out of the A-Side, it'll have garagers and hardcores both nodding their heads in unity...Scum stats: 100 on red vinyl with a button, maybe 500 total, with a bunch of neat inserts.(RK)
(Don't Hit Record Records // myspace.com/dhrrecords)
Posted: Nov 6, 2008 4:52 pm

And another good one from 7-inch Slam...

As for the Staags, this record threw me for a loop. You might know their bassplayer by his internet psuedonym Jack Stands and his stellar live recordings for all your Memphis and Gonerfest darlings. I checked out a few songs live when Rot Shit played with these gents down in Memphis at Murphy's in January and was duly impressed, but this record separates them from the pack with its pure hardcore sentiment. Sometimes live hardcore can have an off-night, but a 7" record is ALWAYS its truest test. Regardless of whatever hip jams may get you laid these days, raging hardcore punk was never on that Top Ten list, but I couldn't care less. The Staags attack, charging headlong into pounding 80's template rhythms which will always work as long as young, white men are mad about something, however ridiculous. This record carries my highest personal recommendation if you want to turn your brain off, drink ten beers, fight your friends, and pretend you're Matt Coppens for about seven minutes, and that's just long enough for me.

Cool cover art and simple basic hardcore pounding make this a winner, and the songs on their Myspace also show off some great catchy rock n' roll chops, so they are firing on all cylinders... check out "Noise Ordinance Rock"! Hopefully we get another EP in the pipeline, and I'd say the Staags could call it a day and be remembered fondly on Killed By Death: The Termbo Years (which Aaron Lefkove needs to get on comping RIGHT NOW, got it pretty boy?). That being said, I'd roadie for these guys.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®