Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Sep 25, 2007 6:41 pm

The Yolks have released their four song, self released EP "Introducing The Yolks" this summer, and they are available for purchase today. Out of the original 300 pressed, there are maybe 100 left, so don't sleep on this one. You can check out two of the songs on our myspace page, www.myspace.com/theyolks. To order the record, either paypal us at theyolks@gmail.com to the tune of 5.50 ppd, or click on the blog on our myspace page and hit the buy now button. Also, you can find it at www.rocketreducer.com. Three reviews of the record are below.

VICTIM OF TIME:

The Chicago three-piece known for their enkindling of 60s-style rave ups, The Yolks have self-released their debut four song 7" EP, Introducing The Yolks, this past week and is available directly from the band, or through Rocket Reducer Mailorder. This four song platter comes in a very limited pressing of 300 and is enhanced with a risky design that includes silk screened labels, but with a such an analeptic platter as this, you won't be falling sleep at the needle anyway, so quit worrying about your precious stylus and spill your beer already! The Yolks' songs filter nostalgia through a sieve of modern audacity that conjures the same brilliant approach to the ?good enough? production values that made bands like Supercharger and The Mummies so refreshing in the 90s. Though their sound is generally more jaunty than the latter bands, they pull it off with the sort of underhanded and insolent attitude that enthralls the ladies, and makes waking up on a cold kitchen floor with a bottle top stuck to your face a respectable occurrence. In the opening track, ?I Do What I Do? which can be heard HERE, their cocksure approach to song writing is evident as they proclaim "You don't have to hold my hand / I don't have to be your man..." I'll bet she called him everyday after that, and we should all take note. Pick this up HERE before you're sorry you didn't, and don't miss The Yolks along with a great VoT-sanctioned Summertime lineup next week at Cals' Fest Party outside in Chicago's South Loop for a guaranteed hell of a good time.

Smashin' Transistors:

Garage rockin' fun out of Chicago. Now, just because you see the words garage and Chicago in that sentence don't be instantly thinking some kinda 'HOZAC' influenced scuzz-n-blastfest. This is much more pop and..well nerdy (as in putting on a clean shirt before going out for a night on the town instead of wearing the same grease stained, cigarette reeking one that looks like ya slept in it for the past 4 days...BECAUSE YOU DID) than something those two words might make a preconceived conjuring of. "My Baby Ain't High Class" and "I Found Love" are your standard Nuggets type redeux with handclaps, organs and 'Yeah, Yeah' backing vocals that could use a tad more OOMPH in the mastering department (the record itself sounds kinda flat.) I do dig how the singer's delivery is like a cross between a second tier 50's teen pop idol croon and a spit 'em out spat like Elvis Costello when he was still in his 'angry young man' phase though. I know from the sound of that you might be thinking it's something to pass on without even a second thought and I don't blame ya but on the other two songs "I Do What I Do" and "Somewhere New", both more along the lines of that teen jangler blow-out thing meeting pre-punk power pop, it totally works. "I Do What I Do" is the standout track on the record for sure. Kinda reminds me of one of the Libertines song I liked (but I don't why it does...there's just something about it. Way more American and no way as dingy though.There's something in 'the hook' maybe. A great hook though and I damn well know the Libertines didn't come up with it first anyways). I will be playing that song alone more than a couple times more before autumn sets upon this great midwestern region. If the band aims for more tunes in that vein down the road and move more away from the standard "garage rock" thing their batting average might become the talk of the town.

Now Wave:

You just have to love The Yolks' debut 7". It's everything a "garage" record is supposed to be: fun, energetic, and zestfully derived from '66 teen beat, the British Invasion, and the American R & B that started it all. And yet this Chicago trio has far more than copyism going for it. While "My Baby Ain't High Class" and "I Found Love" are pedestrian yet robust rave-ups straight out of the Nuggets/Back from the Grave playbook, the record's other two offerings put an enticingly fresh spin on the good old garage style. The upbeat opener "I Do What I Do" may push the Black Lips' "Oh Katrina" for the "best rock n' roll song of 2007" distinction. It's really poppy yet totally rockin', and it zips along with an energy that cannot possibly be resisted. This is one of those songs that comes right out and infects you: within seconds you're dancing around your room and whistling the melody with great gusto. And in the playing, there's a real spark that makes this song feel so alive and fun and thoroughly enjoyable to hear. B-side opener "Somewhere New" is not quite as frenziedly paced, but similarly blurs the lines between fuzzed-out teenage trash and hook-laden powerpop. Once again, the melody is freakin' irresistible, and certain to stick in your head for hours or days after you've taken the record off your turntable.

All in all, a dandy debut! Something tells me that The Yolks are gonna be Now Wave favorites for a long time to come.

The Yolks
Posted: Sep 26, 2007 2:50 pm

worth pickin up for the a-side. surprised it hasnt sold out already/
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®