Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / New Releases & Stuff For Sale / Taking a stab at eBay selling
Posted: Jun 5, 2007 5:14 am | Edited by: Theresa K

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=006&sspagename=STRK%3 AMESE%3AIT&viewitem=&item=160124467861&rd=1&rd=1

That's the Joan Jett / Billy Idol Party photo....

advice from experienced eBay sellers is WAY appreciated.
Posted: Jun 5, 2007 1:28 pm

Theresa
Best way to see what sells a print is to look at the completed sales of high-dollars photography and copy their formatting, wording, details, etc.
Those are the people who are pandering to the tastes of the weirdos who pay more for items than they should.

I sell dirty jeans to people in California for $200. Trust me.

Liz
Posted: Jun 5, 2007 1:53 pm

I sell dirty jeans to people in California for $200.

huh? Now THIS I gotta hear.
Posted: Jun 5, 2007 5:43 pm

thanks liz.... i have no idea how to do this. can i change my post listing while the auction is still up?

pandering to the tastes of the weirdos who pay more for items than they should.

this is a skill i need to develop!
Posted: Jun 5, 2007 6:03 pm

after liz's slightly sleazy tip, here's some insight into secret ebay lingo:

"contact seller for details"
- swings both ways

"matte finish"
- happy ending c/o seller

"limited, numbered edition"- only available a few days a month

"uncorrected proof"- pre-op transsexual

"torn corner" - a young male homosexual

"slight odor"- a middle-aged + male heterosexual

"taking a stab at ebay selling"
- you don't wanna know.

hope that helps decipher some of the "items" posted for auction!
Posted: Jun 5, 2007 7:44 pm

I sell dirty jeans to people in California for $200.

huh? Now THIS I gotta hear.

yes, do tell!
Posted: Jun 5, 2007 8:06 pm

eric, you made me laff like you don't know how!
Posted: Jun 5, 2007 9:46 pm

uhhhhh........

so anyway, yes you can change any of the wording in the listing up until there are 12 hours left in the auction.

People are pretty stupid (even the smart ones) and want to feel like every aspect of their purchase is special. The paper, the ink, the envelope it comes in.

And, for your information, not THAT kind of dirty jeans. Just actually old and unwashed.
Posted: Jun 5, 2007 10:00 pm

want to feel like every aspect of their purchase is special.

ha! that's why i noted that celebrity collectors who have the photo include joan jett and billy idol... cuz they do have it.

thanks liz. actually, i have a levis denim jacket that i can't fit and want to sell rather than give away... what are the magic demin words?
Posted: Jun 6, 2007 3:45 am

Answer a few questions for me and I'll tell you if it's worth it
Brands to bother with: Levi's, Lee, Wrangler
If Levi's, what color tab and how big is the brown tag at the back (if it's gone you can still measure the remaining stitching).
If it's LEE does the small LEE have a registered mark by it
Wrangler - is the word "Wranglers" on the buttons in script or in regular type

We'll go from there.

Jeans freaks are quite possibly worse than record collectors. But they have more money, thank god.
Posted: Jun 6, 2007 6:58 am

ah liz, you are too kind

mine is a Levi's denim jacket (men's). red tab. do you mean the brown tag inside the back? its there... i'll measure it. i bought it in or around 1983... if that matters. its got a nice patina....

thank you
Posted: Jun 6, 2007 10:40 pm

here's some insight into secret ebay lingo...

Eric knows all that as a "buyer," not a "seller," if you follow me.
Posted: Jun 7, 2007 4:37 pm

not following you. anywhere.
Posted: Jun 7, 2007 5:49 pm

i'd worry more about getting followed
Posted: Jun 7, 2007 7:14 pm

ahem.........

hey liz --- the brown tag in the back of the jacket (inside) is 2 1/2 wide and 1 1/4 inches high. you can read about 90% of the stuff printed on it too!

this is good, probably, right?
Posted: Jun 7, 2007 7:33 pm | Edited by: CrucialDude

i'm the current high bidder - lucky pierre
Posted: Jun 7, 2007 8:04 pm

ahem.........

hey liz --- the brown tag in the back of the jacket (inside) is 2 1/2 wide and 1 1/4 inches high. you can read about 90% of the stuff printed on it too!

this is good, probably, right?

Gulp, well no, not really... the desired jacket has a 2"x3" tag. When you said you got it in the 80s I was hoping you got it USED in the 80s - it's a little too new to be worth much; you could sell it on ebay with a picture of you wearing it standing next to the Go-Go's and it might get some provenance bids...

:) Sorry. $20 tops on a good day. Maybe more if you do the photo angle.
Posted: Jun 7, 2007 9:51 pm

i wasn't planning on getting rich off the jacket. it doesn't fit me anymore, otherwise i'd still be wearing it.

its just that when we had a garage sale, someone offered me $1 for it, thinking they were being generous.

i would actually rather GIVE IT to a friend who needed a denim jacket than get hosed.

but now i know what the desired jacket tag is... maybe next time i'm around these part trolling a garage sale... someone won't know what they're tossing out. its a good tip! AND i know what it mighth possibly go for. thanks.
Posted: Jun 8, 2007 2:01 am

Just look for a capital E on the levi's tab. that's your biggest clue.
http://www.levistrauss.com/i/heritage/redtab.jpg
Posted: Jun 11, 2007 6:13 pm

Jeans freaks are quite possibly worse than record collectors.

You've GOT to be kidding! I pretty much quit selling records on there because those record collectors are just freaking wacko!! (My biggest sale ever was $800 for a first state Butcher Cover, though.)
Posted: Jun 13, 2007 3:53 pm

"torn corner" - a young male homosexual

I'm starting a band called the TORN CORNERS!
Posted: Jun 13, 2007 11:01 pm

well.... my first ebay auction was quite a success.
my item (joan jett/billy idol photo) sold on ebay for what i'd sell it for in my own "store" - so i'm happy.

thanks for the tips.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®