Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / New Releases & Stuff For Sale / new SUSPICIONS 7" out now
Posted: Apr 9, 2007 6:36 pm

brand new SUSPICIONS 7" out now, called "First Love" with two songs. It's their third release, after the self-released "We're all wrong" 7" and the full lenght on Rip Off Records. listen to one song on

www.mypsace.com/bachelorrecords

cheers!
www.bachelorrecords.com
Posted: May 15, 2007 10:21 am

here is a review from NOW WAVE MAGAZINE

The only possible knock a reasonable person could have had against the Suspicions' LP was that it didn't quite manage to top the Seattle trio's debut 7". When you're following one of the best singles of the '00s, sometimes even a a completely terrific album is a perceived comedown. Oh, what a great problem to have! Walk on water one day, and the throngs just aren't overwhelmed when all you do the next is a heal a few lepers.

Single #2 from The Suspicions is right on par with the first. Who knows? Maybe this is one of those groups that will always fare best in the 7" format. The style remains a letter-perfect synthesis of chiming powerpop and lo-fi garage rock, and Karen's vocals sound better than ever. In terms of writing a truly great pop melody, "First Love" is the band's finest composition yet. Wow - talk about catchy! I have seriously been whistling this melody all weekend. It's absolutely lovely, and the nice "ooh" and "ah" backing vocals complement it well. As usual, the tuneful elements create an effective contrast to the raw guitars and bare bones rhythm playing. Karen's an outstanding singer, her voice richly expressive and slightly off-key in a wholly appealingly way. The subject matter dictates an earnestly sentimental air, and she renders it beautifully. To me, you should always be able to feel a love song like this. This one you can truly feel. The final winning touch is a really simple guitar solo in the early Beatles mold.

B-side "Teenage Heartache" is along the same lines, but sad and slower in tempo. I love it! While adhering to their charmingly amateurish garage-band aesthetic, The Suspicions seem to be raising their game as a pop band, crafting gorgeous melodies and carefully honing the nuances of the genre (harmonies, guitar solos, etc.). If you're a pop guy like me, you've gotta be excited about what's still to come from The Suspicions!

Hands down, one of the best singles of the year. Snap to it before it's sold out!

Lord Rutledge
May 6, 2007

http://www.geocities.com/nowwave/records/suspicions2007.html
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®