Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / fucking around with brisket
Posted: Mar 28, 2018 11:33 am

smoked one a few weeks ago that turned out as close to perfect as i've ever gotten. i've been thinking about the BBQ fads with all the crazy variation on rubs, marinades, etc. so i decided to combine a marinating method with a "quick curing" method.
for the marinade i went with a store bought brand, clydes. i set the brisket in a deep casserole and poured the marinade in and turned it every few hours for about 12 hours (obviously covered, that marinade is fonky). after washing the marinade from the cut i used the same casserole dish and filled the bottom with table salt and brown sugar, set the brisket in and packed salt and brown sugar around and on top and left it to sit out for about an hour. after washing the "quick cure" off i patted the brisket dry and made a very simple rub of s/p/g/o/paprika/chili powder. i've been going lite on my rubs lately, i'm finding if you really cake on the rub with brisket and shoulder it really just becomes char with not much flavor. i smoked it like i normally do at around 225-250 and it was finished within 8 hours. i introduce woodsmoke (hickory) about 2 hours in with heavy smoke for 3-4 hours, flipping the cut about every 2 hours. after smoking i wrapped it then let it rest in a cooler for an hour then placed back on the grill, with temp at 175-200 for one more hour tightly wrapped in aluminum foil. i slice mine crossgrain. please do not shred my brisket. for sauce i used that famous daves shit with some apple cider vinegar mixed in.
fuckin YUM
Posted: Mar 28, 2018 11:34 am

this is using indirect heat on a little shitty barrel smoker.
Posted: Mar 28, 2018 12:06 pm

Great. Now I'm hungry. I never thought to marinade a brisket. Kind of like brining? I usually do the opposite and apply a dry rub overnight and then do a mop sauce during the smoke - which, upon reflection, seems stupid, but I always eat everything.
Posted: Mar 28, 2018 12:42 pm

The Troll:
Kind of like brining?

yeah kinda. i'm one of those jackasses that doesn't let sauce touch the cut til it's off the grill, unless its ribs.
by wrapping the cut in foil and turning it while it rests/after its rested seems to help keep the bark moist while darkening, but not really charring.
Posted: Mar 28, 2018 12:44 pm

And gets you over the stall
Posted: Mar 28, 2018 12:54 pm

yeah, a sleep deprived motor-function stall
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®