Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Schaefer Beer In Memphis?
Posted: Aug 1, 2011 12:38 pm

My favorite cheap/old man beer for decades has been Schaefer. I haven't been able to find it in my area for years. Last Gonerfest, I found some Schaefer Light in the dearly departed Piggle dy Wiggle dy. Does regular Schaefer Beer still exist in Memphis (or anywhere for that matter)?
Posted: Aug 6, 2011 9:25 pm

Dave, Schaefer is alive and well in Columbus Ohio. Not that it does you much good... At pretty much every carryout. Not that that does you any good either, since no one from other state's seems to know what I'm talking about when I say carryout.
Posted: Aug 6, 2011 9:34 pm

I think SuperLo carries it.
Posted: Aug 8, 2011 12:40 pm

all I know is, if you're havin' more than one, Schaefer is the one beer to have.

doesn't it taste the same as Black Label?
Posted: Aug 8, 2011 1:18 pm

Thanks everybody. In my opinion, Schaefer is superior to Black Label (another long missing favorite from years gone by). Granted, much of my fondness is from nostalgia but it's still nice to know it's still around somewhere although not in my neck of the woods (Southern Illinois). I'll check out the SuperLo when in town for Gonerfest. Until then, I'll content myself with Stag and Stroh's for my cheap stuff.
Posted: Aug 8, 2011 4:36 pm

I stopped by SuperLo and saw that they do carry Schaefer's Light. There didn't seem to be an empty spot for the regular, so I assume they don't carry it. Not that I asked or anything.
Posted: Aug 9, 2011 1:17 pm

it's hard to find a decent cheap beer in NoCal now. just a bunch of overhopped "craft" beers ... even Mickey's is scarce, and I just love that nice clean sharp taste of malt liquor
Posted: Aug 9, 2011 2:01 pm

Posted: Aug 9, 2011 7:01 pm

Wow, Donkey. Thank you for that almost useless link that lets me find the Memphis distributor. They don't sell sixers off the dock.
Posted: Aug 14, 2011 11:26 pm

Saw a box of this @ Ike's (Union & Cooper).
Posted: Aug 15, 2011 8:07 pm

still around somewhere although not in my neck of the woods (Southern Illinois).

Thats a tragedy. When I was in Cdale (82-86) Schaefer tallboys were always the drink of choice and if I remember right, they were about $1.65 a six pack. Old Town liquors sold more Shaefer than any other place in the country.
Posted: Aug 26, 2011 1:25 pm

Carney - You nailed it. I started SIU in fall of '85. It's the end of an era. Thanks to Ants and Wire. I'll give Ike's a priority when I hit town and keep the Light at SuperLo as an emergency backup.
Posted: Aug 26, 2011 5:18 pm

Back in the 80's my circle of friends were plagued by a notorious beer leech/thief named Earle. Earle would show up at every party,cookout or camping trip with a six pack that he jealously guarded . Usually it was only about 3 cans - he had downed the other 3 on the way to the event . He would put his 3 in with everybody else's and then guzzle beer after beer all night. I guess he didn't think we would notice his tally ,usually 12 -16. Finally we thwarted him by buying nothing but Schaefer Light which we had heard him disparage on many occasions , claiming it was pure pisswater. He still stole a few but not near as many.
Posted: Aug 29, 2011 9:27 am

DD, I think we've discussed this at some time before, did we ever meet in Cdale? I played in EMG and lived over on Walnut in those shacks they tore down to make the giant convenience store.
Posted: Aug 29, 2011 12:53 pm

Yes, I remember now. We never met that I recall but we talked about C'dale. I think it was a few years ago on the old version of garagepunk.com.

In case you're interested, they're having a Lost Cross House reunion in October:

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=254963084523749

It's still going after 25 years!
Posted: Aug 29, 2011 1:25 pm

Yeah, Patrick Houdek and James Ricks both invited me, I'd love to come to that but I don't think my work schedule will allow it. I miss Carbondale especially in the fall when the weather's nice.
Posted: Aug 29, 2011 1:29 pm

That crazy about Lost Cross still going! The first show had my buddy Brent's band, Brain Dead from louisville. We used to play across the street at Cafe Flesh and way back there was trench Bar. Huge tradition of basement shows.
Posted: Aug 29, 2011 5:30 pm

Nobunny is playing at the Ski House in Sept!
Posted: Sep 26, 2011 2:58 pm

No regular strength Schaefer so I settled for the Light. Thanks for the tip on Ike's. I picked up a case and a half of Yuengling, case of S.Light, and a 12 of another traditional brewer lager that I'd been wanting to try that is unavailable in SoIL - Genesee.

I drank enough beer this weekend to float a battleship!
Posted: Sep 27, 2011 6:29 pm

Genessee hit the Portland area about a year ago. For a while a couple of stores had 24s for a buck!
Posted: Oct 1, 2011 8:54 pm

Genessee is terrible.
Posted: Oct 3, 2011 12:28 pm

anything is better than "Buttwiper" or "Swiller's"
Posted: Oct 4, 2011 1:39 pm

Genessee is terrible.

Ah, I dunno. Tastes like beer. Cheap beer. Not the best and not the worst I've had. I bought it as a novelty to say I'd had it. Would I buy it again? Maybe, depends on the price.

When I went to the Hi Tome for Gonerfest, I was glad to see Stag available as an alternative to Bud, PBR, Miller, etc. I felt very exclusive because it was not on the menu and they kept it in the back like "wait, let me go get the good stuff." Ha Ha.
Posted: Oct 6, 2011 5:28 pm

They have Schaeffer in bottles at The Lakeside Lounge in NYC. Also best jukebox in town.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®