Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Carney, what did you have for dinner?
Posted: May 30, 2011 7:36 pm

Just askin
Posted: May 31, 2011 9:54 am

I was at the beach in Port A all weekend. Lots of shrimp. And beer. Did stop in Lockhart (bbq capital of TX) and got brisket and sausage from Blacks. Very good, but I wish somebody in TX would do some pork that is not pork loin.

Thanks for askin.
Posted: May 31, 2011 12:20 pm

Lots of shrimp.

nice.
Posted: May 31, 2011 12:52 pm

I vote for carney to update this regularly.
Posted: Jun 5, 2011 6:51 am

Carney is a kind of redneck connoisseur. I'm interested.
Posted: Jun 5, 2011 1:46 pm

Carney is a kind of redneck connoisseur.

That could go on my tombstone. No sunday dinner this week. Going to a Chaos in Tejas crusty hardcore show that starts early. Dilinger Four, Fucked Up, Toys that Kill.

FYI, On the redneck front, we are remodeling our one full bathroom, so I rigged up a shower outside for the next three weeks. My grandfather was a sharecropper who didn't have indoor plumbing until the mid 70's. It's only taken a little over 30 years to devolve backwards.
Posted: Jun 5, 2011 2:27 pm

After my last post I got inspired an whipped up two different things for my wife to eat for dinner tonight and lunch tomorrow. She's not feeling well, so I went quick and just grabbed stuff in the pantry and refrigerator.

Ham steak and potato augratin casserole. Cooked a hamsteak, diced it and added it to box of augratin potatoes. (just like her mom used to make).

Mediterranean chicken breast with artichokes, roasted red peppers and green olives in a tomato sauce. Sauted chicken breast with garlic and onions. Deglazed with white wine and added a jar of artichoke salad (artichokes, red peppers and green olives) and crushed tomatoes. Serve over whole wheat penne.
Posted: Jun 5, 2011 3:24 pm

See, that's the kind of hard-hitting journalism I was after
Posted: Jun 5, 2011 3:51 pm

Ironically, I studied journalism as my major in college.
Posted: Jun 5, 2011 4:12 pm

Posted: Jun 12, 2011 11:33 am | Edited by: carney

Despite having my entire downstairs (sans kitchen) in the middle of remodeling hell, I am frying some chicken tonight. Updates later.

Here's the eternal chicken frying question, plain flour vs. flour plus a wet ingredient. I go just flour and salt, black pepper and cayenne. No marinating, no buttermilk, no corn flakes, no egg wash. Pan fried in a black iron skillet.
Posted: Jun 12, 2011 5:06 pm | Edited by: bazooka joe

how much oil do you use, and what kind? or do you use shortening? do you get a crunchy, breading-like skin from a dry fry, guy?
Posted: Jun 12, 2011 5:13 pm

Joe, I use about 1.5" of vegetable oil in the skillet. My Mom always used crisco, but I don't use shortening. Yes, very crispy. The oil has to be between 350-375 or it will be greasy. The flour makes the skin nice and crispy. I think using a batter type breading or a milk/egg wash just makes a doughy mess that tends to burn.
Posted: Jun 12, 2011 5:35 pm

will give it a shot like that. thanks! what are your fave pieces to fry? i'm a leg/ thigh guy.
Posted: Jun 13, 2011 8:09 am

do you prefer vegetable oil over canola? i hear canola is slightly healthier.
Posted: Jun 13, 2011 9:54 am

I know this is Carney's thread, but I think I can field this one. Canola is way healthier. And I can never see any distinct difference in cooking performance. Just use canola.
Posted: Jun 13, 2011 4:36 pm | Edited by: carney

I am a breast man. Canola is fine. Canola is healthier. Canola oil used to be called rapeseed oil. Wonder why they changed the name?
Posted: Jun 14, 2011 12:11 pm

Frying is all about the right temp, yes?
Posted: Jun 14, 2011 12:29 pm

Yep, 350-375 is the key. don't fill the pan past halfway up you will have a crisis on your hands. Don't crowd the pan, the chicken shouldn't be touching.
Posted: Jun 14, 2011 3:07 pm

I fry my chicken the same way as carney, but I have a vague recollection of getting my fried chicken recipe off goner years ago, and it was probably carney's... In any case, it's the best way I've found to do it.
Posted: Jun 14, 2011 3:10 pm

i really need a cast iron skillet and a cooking thermometer.
Posted: Jun 14, 2011 3:30 pm

Except, our recipe does use hot sauce, so it's not completely dry... Now I want to try just putting the hot sauce on afterwards.
Posted: Jun 14, 2011 3:59 pm

our recipe

Who's the one making the fried chicken, huh?

I've left the hot sauce off about 50 percent of the time, and only used cayenne. Haven't done it all for a long time, though. It's fine both ways, as I always blot the hot sauce off before coating it with flour so it isn't too wet.
Posted: Jun 14, 2011 4:26 pm

Who said you could come out of the kitchen?
Posted: Jun 14, 2011 6:35 pm

You're Gay!
Posted: Jun 19, 2011 5:54 pm

Tonights dinner: Swiss steak or sauce piquant with beef (same difference sorta). Brown round steak dusted with flour. Once browned, add yellow and red bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, garlic and canned whole tomatoes. Stir to loosen crusty bits form the pan. Simmer for a couple of hours and adjust seasonings (salt, garlic powder, hot sauce). Sauce will thicken and reduce. Serve over rice.
Posted: Jul 2, 2011 1:38 pm

carney, what's up?

For tonight's USA!!! celebration I'm makin' homemade whole wheat goat cheese + andouille ravioli with a sundried tomato pesto. need something blue to go with... maybe I'll make up a recipe for blueberry gin+tonics. Suggestions?

On my way to talking nick into buying a croquet set. We are already set with dog poop obstacles.
Posted: Jul 2, 2011 1:55 pm

I am still working on what to grill for the 4th. I also need to cook something up for the finale of Treme tomorrow. I am anticipating a giant hangover tomorrow, my band's 20th anniversary show is tonight at emos. I also just realized I have not fried any zucchini yet this season:

Fried zucchini
Slice zucchini into this slices, 1/8 to 1/4" thick. Make an egg wash with eggs and milk and season some flour with salt, pepper, cayenne. Dip the zuchinni in the flour, then egg wash , then flour. Fry in vegetable oil at 350-370. Cook in small batches and strain out the crispy bits of batter that fall off. I usually cook three or four batches and keep them in a warm oven (170) on paper towels. Even better if you have some zucchini blossoms to fry as well.
Posted: Jul 2, 2011 6:43 pm

you should change your name from carney to cayenney.
Posted: Jul 2, 2011 8:28 pm

Fried zucchini

That sounds so good, dude. Thanks for the hook-up.
Posted: Jul 3, 2011 5:04 pm

For tonight, I am frying zucchini tonight and making okra and tomatoes, corn and some smashed red potatoes. I am craving vegetables today, tomorrow I will celebrate by cooking rib tips and sausage.
Posted: Jul 3, 2011 5:13 pm

i just got handed a big bag of fresh picked zucchini and i'm making that fried recipe on thursday when one of my best friends, more of a brother really, mr. red eyed willie, shows up in my town to party with me.

thanks dude!
Posted: Jul 12, 2011 8:47 pm

I'm holding out for a carney report, but I had prime rib, a baked potato, some kinda lovely mushrooms, and a salad. All cooked by someone who can cook.
Posted: Jul 12, 2011 11:46 pm

I am out on the road on a school of rock tour. Tonight we had a potluck after the show in West palm Beach. Homemade ziti, meatballs and fried chicken. At todays lunch stop ate at a pizza place that had crazy slices: lasagna slice, french fry slice and the the prize goes to the bacon cheeseburger slice with beef, bacon cheese and topped with ketchup. I had the lasagna slice, it was awesome.
Posted: Jul 15, 2011 11:55 pm

Roast beef po boy and a meat pie. Hello Baton Rouge!
Posted: Jul 16, 2011 8:57 am | Edited by: bazooka joe

i made the zucchini last night. shouldn't have used kosher salt. yuck.
Posted: Jul 22, 2011 5:06 pm

San Diego burrrito at Super Burrito: carne asada, french fries, cheese, pico, sour cream. Wife had the gyro al pastor burrito, it was mindblowing.
Posted: Jul 23, 2011 5:25 pm

Carney.....what's your go to recipe? Someones coming over that you need to impress.....give it up, man.
Posted: Jul 31, 2011 2:40 pm

Go to is probably either grilled/smoked pork loin or chicken/pork/whatever meat I have sauce piquant.

http://www.goner-records.com/board/index.php?action=vthread&forum=5&to pic=15003#msg221584

or

Tonights dinner: Swiss steak or sauce piquant with beef (same difference sorta). Brown round steak dusted with flour. Once browned, add yellow and red bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, garlic and canned whole tomatoes. Stir to loosen crusty bits form the pan. Simmer for a couple of hours and adjust seasonings (salt, garlic powder, hot sauce). Sauce will thicken and reduce. Serve over rice.

Tonight its clean out the freezer time. pork loin, chicken quarters and beef short ribs all going on the grill. With green beans, dressing and macaroni and cheese.
Posted: Aug 21, 2011 5:10 pm

Tonight: BBQ! Smoking 1/2 a shoulder. You cannot buy respectable pork bbq in Austin. I did have Live Oak bbq for lunch and tried their pork steak. It was good, but not really true pork bbq. Most places here do loin. Loin is great, but not slow smoked.
Posted: Aug 29, 2011 9:34 am

Pulled out an old midwestern favorite last night: Italian beef! Basically just a potroast with italian seasoning that you shred and serve on a roll with giardinera and sweet or hot peppers.

3 pound pot roast, make small slits and insert whole cloves of garlic. Season with favorite italian seasonings, salt and pepper and brown in olive oil. Once browned, add one beer and enough beef stock to cover. Braise with the lid on until the meat is falling apart. Remove meet and reduce au jus to desired potency. Shred meat and add to au jus. You can add some pepperoncinis or other pickled peppers to the broth if desired. Can also be done in the crock pot, but the au jus won't have the same depth of flavor.
Posted: Sep 4, 2011 2:42 pm

Tonight: Jambalaya stuffed cornish hens. We have an OK cajun style specialty meat store about 20 miles away and they do make a really good andouile. I made the jambalaya last night and will stuff and smoke the cute little birds today.
Posted: Sep 4, 2011 10:56 pm

carney, how handy are you with indian food?
Posted: Sep 5, 2011 12:11 pm

Not so much, more of a neophyte. Whataya looking for?
Posted: Sep 12, 2011 11:26 am

Last night pork chops and some whole wheat gnocchi. Not too inspired, getting ready for a solid month of 70 hour weeks.
Posted: Sep 19, 2011 9:52 am

I worked the ACL fest all weekend (Stevie Wonder, Kayne, Arcade Fire) and catering fed us breakfast/lunch/dinner for 3 days. I am always amazed how they can feed thousands quickly and still serve decent healthy food: pad thai, seared ahi tuna, roast beef, bbq shrimp, smoked chicken, lasagna, etc.

The best part was the open bar in the artist village and free bourbon in the press area.
Posted: Sep 19, 2011 2:08 pm

free fuckin' bourbon.
Posted: Sep 20, 2011 10:16 am

They had like 6 kinds, I was drinking some new makers mark stuff. Very good. They handed me a 12 0z cup of bourbon and ice.
Posted: Sep 26, 2011 6:24 pm

Last night: chipotle marinated pork loin with chipotle cheddar yukon gold mashed potatoes and grilled asparagus.
Posted: Sep 26, 2011 11:39 pm

Last night: reheated chicken wings (flats only, fuck drummies) and some bread.
Posted: Oct 9, 2011 3:32 pm

Tonight is Side Dish Dinner: Rice dressing. collard/mustard greens. Ratatouille with zuchini, eggplant, mushrooms, peppers, tomatoes. Green beans. Might add another starch...
Posted: Oct 17, 2011 9:36 am

Went to Festivals Acaidein et Creole in Lafayette: Cracklins, pork chops, boudin balls, pulled pork from Cochoun, smoked sausage po boy, roast beef po boy, and gumbo.

On the way home stopped at a couple of specialty meat places to stock up. Made a new discovery at Don's in Scott LA: Ribeye sausage! OMG that shit is good!
Posted: Oct 24, 2011 10:36 am

Oktoberfest in ATX: brats, kraut, german potato salad and Sierra Nevada tumbler. Even though its still in the 80s, I just pretend its fall.
Posted: Oct 30, 2011 5:51 pm

Fall is finally here! Tonight pot roast that will become vegetable beef soup tomorrow! Easiest thing in the world to make.

Season and brown a 3-4 pound chuck roast in vegetable oil on very high heat. Remove meat and add roughly diced onion, celery and garlic. Saute ove high heat until vegetables get a little color. De-glaze with stock or good red wine (i use both) and return meat to pot and cover and simmer. Once meat begins to get tender add potatoes, carrots and more onion or other root vegetables. Cook until meat falls apart.

You can also coat the roast in flour when you brown it to make a thicker gravy. Or you can remove the meat and vegetables when done and thicken the gravy with a roux or cornstarch. You can also add the vegetable earlier or later depending on the texture you like.

For soup, I take the leftovers and add a bunch of canned and or fresh vegetables: cabbage, corn, green beans, lima beans, peas and tomatoes (usually canned). Sometimes I add stock, if not plain water. Another trick is to add a can of v8 juice or tomato juice to round it out. Use whatever you have on hand or like.
Posted: Oct 31, 2011 10:15 am

2 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and some mixed nuts. I think Carney wins again.
Posted: Nov 13, 2011 11:36 am

Clean out the freezer day: chicken and andouille gumbo and some pork bbq. I made the chicken stock last night and I am starting the charcoal right now. I will update the gumbo recipe as I go...
Posted: Nov 13, 2011 7:09 pm

Prime rib, deviled eggs, fingerling potatoes, black cherry pie with vanilla ice cream.
Posted: Nov 14, 2011 10:04 am | Edited by: carney

Here's the gumbo recipe:

Make stock, I did this the night before. Put a 3-4 pound chicken in a stock pot , cover with cold water. Add a quartered onion, 3-4 ribs of celery, and a head of garlic sliced in half. Season with a few peppercorns, a bay leaf and a couple of sprigs of fresh thyme. Slowly bring to a gentle simmer, skim off and fat and foam that floats to the top. Simmer for 45-60 minutes until chicken is fully cooked. Remove chicken and remove meat from the bones. Set meat aside and refrigerate. Return the bones to the stock and reduce liquid for 30 minutes. Should yield about 3 quarts of stock. May be refrigerated over night, remove any fat that solidifies on top.

Chop one bell pepper, one onion and 3-4 ribs of celery, set aside. In a heavy cast iron pot (if possible) heat 1.5 cups of vegetable oil to ALMOST smoking. Whisk in 1.5 cups of flour, BE CAREFUL, you have just made cajun napalm. Turn heat down to med high and whisk like crazy. If blck specs form, start over. If you are not sure of your roux making abilities, use a lower heat and whisk away. High heat=roux in about 15 minutes, low heat may take 30-40 minutes. It should be a deep brown reddish color. Set aside about a quarter of the roux and save in case you need some extra thickening power.

Heat stock up and have ready. Add chopped celery, onions and bell pepper to the roux and cook until vegetable soften. Add chopped garlic (as much as you like) and a pound of good anouille sausage cut into 1/2 inch slices. Cook for another 10 minutes or so.

Add a quart of the hot stock to the roux/vegetable/sausage mixture and whisk like crazy. Once its incorporated, add hot stock a few ladles at a time while you continue to whisk until all the stock is added. Bring to a boil, roux does not reach its full thickening potential until it reaches a boil. At this point, you should have a nice gumbo consistency: not thick, but velvety smooth and rich. It should be thinner than gravy and just thicker than soup. Simmer for about an hour then add the chicken meat. Simmer another 30 minutes. Serve or rice or potato salad and top with chopped green onions.
Posted: Nov 14, 2011 11:17 am

Note: Strain stock before cooling.
Posted: Dec 12, 2011 8:55 am | Edited by: carney

Chicken and noodles.

Make stock with 4-6 chicken pieces, onions, celery, carrots and whatever herbs and seasoning you like. Go easy on the salt. Simmer for 30-40 minutes. When chicken is done, remove, cool and reserve meat and veggies from pot. Return chicken bones to pot and simmer stock and reduce to about 3-4 quarts. Strain and reserve stock.

Bring stock to a boil and cook egg noodles to about half done. Add chicken and veggies and continue cooking until noodles are done. If you need more liquid add water or additional stock.
Posted: Dec 14, 2011 4:01 am

Roux = parts fat and flour. I have also spread flour out on baking sheet lined in foil , baked in oven til brown and then used for Roux , its saves a grip of time and gives yr. gumbo or whatever color.
Posted: Dec 15, 2011 1:46 pm

A lot of restaurants do their roux in the oven, sometimes overnight.
Posted: Jan 23, 2015 11:16 pm

Cauliflower crust pizza? I demand a recount.
Posted: Jan 29, 2015 11:49 am

"whisk like crazy"
Posted: Feb 8, 2015 10:46 am

Ha. According to this thread, I used to have free time!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®