Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Dec 23, 2010 5:12 pm

I've been wrestling this thing for three days soaking and changing the water. Tomorrow I cook the bastard! Any Goners have any cooking tips for a dry cured ham?
Posted: Dec 23, 2010 5:30 pm

sounds wet to me
Posted: Dec 24, 2010 11:09 am

I'm in the same brine, myself. Trying to juggle three, conflicting recipes. What's your pig weigh?
Posted: Dec 24, 2010 11:28 am

Hell I don't even know. After soaking for three days it looks pretty weird. It's in the oven,bathing in Dr Pepper. Gonna cook it till its falling apart. Some say boil it, some say braise it, another recipe said to boil it for an hour and then wrap the pot in a blanket for 24 hours?
Posted: Dec 24, 2010 12:16 pm

I think they want you to boil it if you haven't already soaked it - it helps to get some of the salt out.

I think you're just supposed to score the flesh, do whatever for the skin, wack in a 325 oven for about 18 - 20 minutes a pound. Where I get conflicting reports is if you cover it with foil; pour liquid in; put veggies in (like onions and such); when to score it; if you turn it up at the end to make cracklin or not. I dunno. Mines about 20 pounds and I'm supposed to be serving it tonight, so, I gotta make a decision in then next hour.
Posted: Dec 24, 2010 12:24 pm

I don't think mine is going to be as falling apart as yours. I'm still figuring out how the hell to carve it, since it's the whole ham thingo. Oh, well. It'll probably end up like all my other dinners: everyone is drunk because I'm behind schedule and are too grateful to finally eat to notice.

Report on your success and Merry Xmas!
Posted: Dec 24, 2010 1:38 pm

Prepare yourself for the particular perfume that comes with the cooking process. It's a little funky. One blogger called it wet dog smell, mine's not quite like that, but its definitely strong. Happy Festivus to you, too!
Posted: Dec 24, 2010 2:56 pm

Hmmm, maybe I'm doing it wrong. I put some cloves on before and dumped a mix of bourbon and cider, along with some herbs and it smells like a weird mix between pizza and something musty. I'll try and take a picture at the next basting moment. I believe I'll have to start drinking, right after my nap.
Posted: Dec 24, 2010 9:48 pm

Turned out great, very salty and rich. I am soooo full, but I must drink more water.
Posted: Dec 24, 2010 10:56 pm

That's great! Mine came out wonderful as well. I couldn't stop picking at the fatty bits and everyone had to come into the kitchen and yell at me to carve. I feel a bit ill, full as a tick and sleepy. Still have to do all the presents and stockings. Sigh.
Posted: Dec 27, 2010 6:04 pm

you're a country ham
Posted: Jan 3, 2011 3:42 pm

Holy pig, east tennessee is the best country ham country. Had some of these ham & biscuits for the holidaze.... Highly recommended.
http://www.thehamery.com/home.html
Posted: Jan 4, 2011 1:32 pm

Leave it to the foodies in SF to get upscale with country ham:

http://www.hogandrocks.com/

the tasting plate with a choice of 5 different hams is only $30.
Posted: Feb 11, 2011 2:31 pm

sherman...many thanks to you. I ordered the ham'n'biscuits (6 doz) on Thursday and had them delivered to Memphis on Friday....tasty.
Posted: Feb 11, 2011 10:51 pm

Man, oh, man...wish I had some right now!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®