Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Dec 14, 2010 12:15 pm

who's made one? Apparently one pricey little bird will only feed TWO PEOPLE? Is that true?
also, good traditional method? i hear it involves a lot of pricks to the breast.
Posted: Dec 14, 2010 12:25 pm

You're a lot of pricks
Posted: Dec 14, 2010 2:20 pm

i just bought one ($15) and i was just about to post asking about the very same thing. i've prep'd a couple; both times on the grill. once with an andouille sausage stuffing and the other just the duck. that's all i got.
Posted: Dec 14, 2010 5:16 pm

i hear it involves a lot of pricks to the breast.

To render the fat you should peirce the skin in different areas. You'll get a crispier skin and tastier duck, plus you can save the fat for cooking frites or for red beans or anything that you want to make that much more delicious. I like duck with sweet sauces.

Look up a basic simple praline sauce, like the kind you would make for a bread pudding. Peaches are good also.

Banging!
Posted: Dec 14, 2010 11:45 pm

I've never eaten duck. How does the taste differ from other poultry?
Posted: Dec 15, 2010 9:23 am

water fowl have their own taste; it's more akin to dark meat turkey in that fatty/gamey way. it's a pretty strong tasting meat.

alton brown has a fairly straighforward method for the oven that involves steaming then searing. think i'll try that.
Posted: Dec 15, 2010 1:45 pm

and they say goose is even less productive, guess I'll duck duck that one...
Posted: Dec 19, 2010 4:07 pm

duck is the bees knees...been wanting to do some red curry duck action on my grill out back.maybe next saints game....
Posted: Dec 20, 2010 9:30 am

red curry duck

whats the prep on this? sounds tasty.
Posted: Dec 27, 2010 6:58 pm

steam/fry duck was a success. fucking awesome.
Posted: Dec 28, 2010 11:34 am

mine turned out lousy, but leftovers went into a cassoulet and are now indescribably delicious
Posted: Dec 30, 2010 8:59 am

how did you prepare it? give yourself another chance at it with steaming then roasting. it really did turn out great, though it would seem to make a huge difference to somehow get a fresh and not frozen bird.
Posted: Dec 30, 2010 9:43 am

Carrie made a duck with orange sauce last week. It was goo-ood.

Cole, I always just thought that duck tasted like richer dark meat chicken.
Posted: Jan 6, 2011 1:30 am

pillarofsalt and i have been talking about smoking one on my new smoker here in the next couple of weeks. i am SO stoked.

i've put roasted duck in a red curry before and it was divine. i followed some crazy recipe that had lychees, pineapple, and pumpkin in it. sounded kinda weird to me at first, but it was SUPER tasty.
Posted: Jan 6, 2011 1:34 pm

smoking one on my new smoker here in the next couple of weeks

let me know when....
Posted: Jan 6, 2011 4:56 pm

Foie gras? Heard it tastes like pâté. Never had duck nor foie gras.

Anyone?
Posted: Jan 6, 2011 11:03 pm

foie gras is smooth and buttery.
Posted: Jan 11, 2011 9:50 am

Foie gras is quite tasty. My favorite part of the duck is the breast and a good way to cook it is to sear it in a skillet fat down (I like it rare) and carefully remove the fat every minute or so to reuse in a reduction sauce. The reduction is made first by cooking chopped scallops (lots) then a half bottle of red wine or so, raspberry jam, fresh raspberries, duck fat and reduce it down until its pretty thick (about 30 mins). Then take the sauce and poor it onto the breast.
Posted: Jan 17, 2011 4:06 pm | Edited by: elle

The reduction is made first by cooking chopped scallops (lots) then a half bottle of red wine or so, raspberry jam, fresh raspberries, duck fat and reduce it down until its pretty thick (about 30 mins)

we made a raspberry reduction kinda like this at this restaurant that i used to cook at (not with scallops though. we used shallots.) and put it over a grilled duck breast. it was so damn good.

let me know when....

will do.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®