Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Gonerfest Eating Experiences
Posted: Sep 26, 2010 10:12 pm

Had CKs steak and Eggs Jr. (piled all that shit up on toast and ate it as a sandwich) on the way home from the show last night. Carrie and I haven't been to a CKs in at least a decade, but it was pretty fucking satisfying.

I'm sure you out of towners had some good food this weekend. What did you love???
Posted: Sep 26, 2010 10:30 pm | Edited by: bruce

jerk chicken soup, roasted turkey, poached pears in honey walnut sauce breakfast burrito's all at my house thanks to all the awesomeness that was visiting or lives here all the time. i grilled some hamburgers etc.. as well
Posted: Sep 27, 2010 8:08 pm | Edited by: Womb Raider

Jack Pirtle's steak sandwich: Not sure if that was actually food or not. The best thing I can say about it was that I didn't have severe gastrointestinal distress after eating it. I thought it was going to ruin my day, but it didn't.

Pizza at the Hi-tone: very decent. made the mistake of ordering two slices, which was like half a pizza.

Interstate BBQ: good sides, pretty good ribs. went here to escape midtown for a bit. this place is always dependable.

Lavoro's: Italian place in Bartlett, in a former fast food joint. This place seemed promising, although they were out of a whole bunch of stuff (parmesan cheese, for one). Got a pretty bland dish because I didn't feel like downing a bunch of meat and red sauce before another drunk night at the high tone. seems like a place I'd go to a lot if I lived there. draft beers are $1 and the food is cheap.

sadly this is all I got to eat in memphis. need to come back and visit soon.
Posted: Sep 27, 2010 10:44 pm

Pirtle's steak sandwich got me. And broke my car, somehow.

Bbq at the Hi Tone was not as good as I thought it would be when I saw it being brought in. Ran over to grab some before it was wolfed down by others. Of course, it was frozen. Didn't stop me from eating it.

Pizza at Hi Tone always good.

Interstate BBQ ribs were solid. Payne's smoked sausage was perfect as usual.

Central BBQ's wings were all right. Wing King's wings at the Sunday show at Goner were the bomb!
Posted: Sep 27, 2010 10:45 pm

I dug my fried pickles at Gus'.

Did not agree with the Rendezvous recommendation at all.

Also enjoyed a morning bout of CK's despite the not-welcome feeling.

Did not enjoy getting followed and hustled post-show at Tops.

Absolutely enjoyed a plethora of appetizers at the Beauty Shop (mmmm, grilled peaches)

For some reason, drove all the way over to Corky's and, despite the fact I felt like I was in TGIBees hell, enjoyed my overly spiced ribs.

I regret missing Paynes but I blame that on the folks I was waiting to wake the fuck up.

I really wanted to try some Bahn Mi as well. Oh, well. Next time.
Posted: Sep 28, 2010 10:46 am

Did not agree with the Rendezvous recommendation at all.

Man, the Rendezvous is REALLY inconsistent. I've been there a few times, and it wasn't that great. The last time I was there, however, it was AMAZING.

Sorry your experience wasn't good. We only go there when we have an out-of-town visitor who is dead set on going there. Otherwise, it's Cozy's ribs for me.

Womb Raider, how did you end up in Bartlett?
Posted: Sep 28, 2010 10:52 am

Womb Raider, how did you end up in Bartlett?

just guessing, but i bet he drove out summer
Posted: Sep 28, 2010 11:43 am | Edited by: The Troll

Sorry your experience wasn't good.
Well, they did have cheap pitchers and I got to try Ghost River or whatever it's called. The ribs were super over-cooked and it seemed like they decided, just before plating, to dust them with 3 tablespoons of dry rub - like they forgot to put it on before killing them on the grill.

I just wish I had more time to eat more!
Posted: Sep 28, 2010 10:34 pm

Cozy's

I can't believe this is the only mention of this wonderful valhalla of meats. Second to the bands (some of them) this is the foremost reason I will travel to Gonerfest again as soon as I am able (haven't made it since #4).
Seriously...I want to call you all lots of lousy rotten words...
Posted: Sep 28, 2010 10:47 pm

troll, sorry i didn't see you again, would have warned you away from rendevous to cozy. we usually have a growler of ghost river at the house and the metal museum, gus' at the museum next time you're in town
Posted: Sep 29, 2010 10:26 am

I really wanted to try some Bahn Mi as well. Oh, well. Next time.

They don't have this in Portland?
Posted: Sep 29, 2010 10:56 am

Yeah, but I read about some place in Memphis that I wanted to try. Where are you at these days? I was just reading about this Salt book some guy here put out and thought of your pa.
Posted: Sep 29, 2010 11:17 am | Edited by: tim

agreed on cozy, the best. and the nicest people working there(they gave us extra ribs!).
gus's, fried pickles @ the YAD, & a pert sandwich in the rufus thomas booth all good.
little italy pizza was meh.
was bummed to drive to deja-vu after reading the good things in the gonerfest program and the weekly paper, and find it not just closed, but totally closed down.
Posted: Sep 29, 2010 2:50 pm

I'm in Chicago, but moving to California (LA or SF, likely LA) in January. Was it the guy from the Meadow?
Posted: Sep 29, 2010 3:12 pm

Was it the guy from the Meadow?
Yeah, that was it. Saw a mention in Sunset about his book, 'Salted'. Crazings.
Posted: Oct 4, 2010 4:31 pm

Deja Vu is closed??!! Bummer! I took my LA vegan friend there a few months ago and we loved it.

Cozy is the best.
Thank goodness you guys had JP steak sandwiches...they are the pinnacle of Memphis eating I think...even more than BBQ. Get some livers while you're there too.

CK's is awesome ALL THE TIME. But I only go to the ghetto ones. Troll, I can't imagine ANYONE who would feel not welcome at the one on Summer, or at Poplar and Belvedere. The clientele there is nuts, and they're used to LOTS of nuts. I always get the cheese omelette with extra cheese. I don't know what the hell they do with those omelettes to make them that way, but they are fluffy and and nasty cheesy as all get out. I think they put the eggs in a milk shake machine before they make the omelette.
Posted: Oct 4, 2010 5:34 pm

deja vu is not closed jeannie ate there last night, maybe it was a sunday, when they are generally closed(private party last night)
Posted: Oct 5, 2010 9:33 am

is deja-vu @ 936 florida street, south of the arcade and gus's?
we went there saturday right before murphy's day show, and there was a closed sign, plus a bigger warning sign on the door, and no cars around.
it was around 1pm when we went.
did we go to the wrong one?
Posted: Oct 5, 2010 9:39 am

sounds right, i don't know the street number
Posted: Oct 5, 2010 11:24 am

CK's is awesome ALL THE TIME

My favorite is the one at Park and Mt Moriah near the CircleK and Marquette Park; the late night shift ladies make the best cheese eggs I've ever had. Ever.
Posted: Oct 5, 2010 11:38 am

Deja Vu man is recovering from a stroke. East restaurant is closed now but original location is open erratically.
Posted: Oct 5, 2010 2:26 pm

(is deja-vu @ 936 florida street, south of the arcade and gus's?)

this is the original location. Amazing food.

Best wishes to the Deja Vu folks.
Posted: Oct 9, 2010 2:41 am

Had BBQ Shop ribs and nachos, and have been experiencing pork burps all night. I sort of want to die now.
Posted: Oct 9, 2010 9:58 pm

Went to Deja Vu's on Thursday (Florida St location) and had a great lunch. Went to Lavoro's this evening and it was pretty tasty. I had the chicken alfredo, the fried zucchini, the fried mozzarella and the tiramisu with $1 draft Yuengling. Their own creamy Italian dressing was a bit sweet but not too bad. The tiramisu needed more coffee liqueur or marsala wine and lots more cocoa. The cannoli was better, and the chocolate ravioli interesting. I tasted the tortellini with pomodoro sauce and it was nice. We're not talking haute cuisine but worth a quick trip out Sam Cooper to Barlett.
Posted: Oct 11, 2010 1:46 am

Hoppe told me Quick Check ( i think..) was good, but i never very hungry in the morning...LATER i wen to Soul Fish and ate it in the alley next to GONER...i love feeling homeless!! The cheeseburgers from Miss Ann at Lamplighter were damn straight!
Posted: Dec 1, 2010 2:53 pm

Rendezvous was pretty good.

Paynes was just plain AMAZING !

Irish Pub in Cooper Young was sexy waitress and good food and great beer.

A huge Asian feast (we way over-ordered) across from Murphys

Bruce's home grilled burgers were very tasty.

But the I think the best thing I ate was early on Sat afternoon (super hungover after leaving some sleazy all nite bar at 6.30am) was the 3 pieces of Gus's fried chicken Brian from the Golden Boys gave me - we have fried chicken here is Australia but it's KFC & other fast food shit so I won't eat it on principal, so it's been a long time since I ate fried chicken - think I'll make the next time I eat in Memphis - Gus' will be the first place I visit next Gonerfest !!
Posted: Dec 2, 2010 5:24 pm

mmmmmm Gus's
Posted: Feb 25, 2011 3:20 am

the late night shift ladies make the best cheese eggs I've ever had. Ever.
if i could ever get over the nostalgic aspect of nana's cheese eggs, i might want to try those.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®