Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Sep 7, 2010 2:10 am

This is my 1st attempt at "homemade" steak tacos. Got some steak, chopped/cut into smallest pieces i could get, added re-fried beans cilantro green sauce white cheese onions..etc...just need some tips on the right kinda beef..??
-Duh.
Posted: Sep 7, 2010 3:07 am

well if you want authentico shit use a skirt steak...marindae that shit in lime juice and cilantro and some cumin and some herdez

if you can't find the herdez use this shit

http://www.bigoven.com/recipe/54209/casera-sauce-salsa-casera
Posted: Sep 7, 2010 5:14 pm

nice!
Posted: Sep 8, 2010 11:34 am

marindae that shit in lime juice and cilantro and some cumin and some herdez

With the exeption of the Herdez, I would add the juice from one orange, some fresh garlic, some vinegar, and salt and pepper along with some jalapenos to everything Mark list above. That's a traditional Mojo. Marinate and cook your skirt whole. Let it rest for at least five minutes before slicing.

Never marinate for more than five hours. The mojo will break the meat down and mush it up. If you're cooking on a grill, lay your tortillas over the meat during it's final minutes of cooking. It'll warm up your tortillas and they will absorb the smoke and flavor of the meat and fat.
Posted: Sep 8, 2010 11:58 am

i'm not sure if or with what my favorite LA PASADITA marrinade with but they chop the skirt steak when they through it on the grill. use corn tortillas for tacos. flour for burritos and only cilantro and onions (cheese is extra). green sauce on the side.
Posted: Sep 8, 2010 12:38 pm

buy some bolillo rolls cut em in half and butter em and throw em on the grill

spread some avocado on it and throw a good portion of the steak on there for a torta

i like it as one big piece instead of all cut up for this

and yeah the herdez is just a quick fix....make the mojo if you got time
Posted: Sep 8, 2010 2:19 pm

Yeah, I've seen people cut it up first also. The benefits of preparing this at home is that you can use the grill, which makes a world of difference, and you can cook it to temp a lot easier if it's whole. Plus, it keeps really juicy cooked whole. Med rare tacos are crazy good. I've also had steak that was cooked with a dry rub of chilis and spices and served on tacos with cilantro and shredded radishes.

My grandmother used to do this thing when she didn't feel like firing up the grill- she would pre-heat the oven on broil, then she would heat an iron skillet on the stove until it was smoking hot and then toss in the meat and sear both sides. Just sear not cook. During the searing it was like somebody sprayed mace in the kitchen it was so spiced. Then she would throw the whole thing, pan and all into oven for about ten minutes or until temp. Remove. Let sit. Slice and serve
Posted: Sep 8, 2010 6:34 pm

i have lots of extra verder from la pasadita and most went on the ny strip steaks i'm grilling tonight.
Posted: Sep 10, 2010 10:36 am

yes.
Posted: Sep 10, 2010 11:27 am

best thread on goner in ages.

If you're cooking on a grill, lay your tortillas over the meat during it's final minutes of cooking. It'll warm up your tortillas and they will absorb the smoke and flavor of the meat and fat.

this is my favorite part.
Posted: Sep 13, 2010 12:48 pm

are the Amish any good at making tortillas?
Posted: Sep 13, 2010 1:40 pm

doubt it

maybe tortillas de harina but definitely not maize

something to do with the lime water, I don't think the Amish even know about that
Posted: Sep 14, 2010 12:42 pm

dang, stungun knows his shit.

buy some bolillo rolls cut em in half and butter em and throw em on the grill

spread some avocado on it and throw a good portion of the steak on there for a torta

and this!

If you have a Mexican market in your 'hood, go there and have them cut the skirt steak for you. Always better. Serve with limes, cilantro, onions, of course. Definitely do not overcook that meat.

Posted: Oct 11, 2010 1:43 am

skirt steak..!! yes the Wood Bro's hooked it up once with skirt steak..i couldnt remember the name of the beef..!!
Posted: Oct 11, 2010 9:06 am

i'm making beer battered mako shark tacos tonight and heating the tortillas on the grill. look out!
Posted: Oct 11, 2010 5:51 pm

Nick started grilling chicken "under bricks" or some such shit, and it is awesome for tacos. His marinade is lime, olive oil, cilantro... I think. He grills jalapenos and flour tortillas at the same time. Wraps bricks in aluminum foil to weigh down the chicken? Very Weird. He probably learned it from an asshole like Bobby Flay.
Posted: Oct 12, 2010 1:00 pm

I have a sneaking suspicion I'm the only person here who considers "room temperature" to be slighty overdone.

Stop cooking beef. You ruin it that way.

Raw, cold, sliced into slivers along the grain and dipped in sauce; that's the way steak should be eaten.

However, for the vegetable portion, I make this awesome stuff where I just dice two roma tomatos, a whole onion, a whole yellow squash, 2-3 pickled jalapeno peppers (replaces the acidity of lime/orange juice while adding spice) and an entire head of crushed fresh garlic, season with black pepper and cilantro, then slap the whole thing in an oiled cast iron skillet over a bed of coals until the onions go clear. It actually helps the flavor if you let it sear just a bit, then take it off the hot part of the coals and let it simmer.

It's like eating magic.

Also, try peeling two heads of garlic and taking a little pat of butter, wrap the whole thing in tin foil like a hershey's kiss, and sitting that on the grill until the garlic gets soft. You can also use the foil technique with the vegetable recipe if you don't have a cast iron skillet.
Posted: Oct 19, 2010 7:55 pm

Also, try peeling two heads of garlic and taking a little pat of butter, wrap the whole thing in tin foil like a hershey's kiss, and sitting that on the grill until the garlic gets soft.

love this

will have to try the vegetable mix...I do enjoy raw steak but I pretty much only eat that when I'm at a friend's ranch. Quality control
Posted: Oct 20, 2010 9:05 pm

Dipped in sauce? Steak? Burn in hell, sinner.
Posted: Oct 22, 2010 1:10 am

meh. i like a very slight bit of cooking to the steak just enough to get some of the grill flavoring. other than that, i prefer it to moo.

the awesome grocery down the street from me has the skirt steak already chopped up perfect for tacos, ready for purchase in the butcher case and fresh, but i live in a neighborhood with a hella lotta mexicans.

i pretty much only eat tacos these days with meat, cilantro and onions on corn tortillas. squeeze of lime. green sauce on the side, as arman stated before. no cheese, no sour cream, no nothing else.
Posted: Oct 24, 2010 10:09 am

Who puts dairy on a taco?

GROSS
Posted: Oct 24, 2010 10:23 am

me, but i like 'em without just as much.
Posted: Oct 24, 2010 10:06 pm

LA PASADITA

Is that the bright yellow joint near Dusty Groove?
Posted: Oct 25, 2010 9:03 am

yes, one of 3 next to and across the street from each other. the one on the northside of ashland is the better.
Posted: Oct 25, 2010 11:14 am

GROSS

I know cheese on a taco is kinda like ketchup on a dog, but why?

Cheese is usually in burritos and tostadas (with the same meat, garnish and cilantro).

Why are tacos different?
Posted: Oct 26, 2010 8:05 am | Edited by: Tango Fistula

tacos are all about simplicity

steak (or..?)-chopped onion-cilantro-lime-fresh tortilla

good luck on the fresh tortillas hunt
Posted: Oct 26, 2010 9:45 am

Why are tacos different?
We as gringos assume they are all the same, but they are not. Sometime it comes down to regional styles, but the mexican dudes that I worked with ate very simple tacos. They never put cheese or sour cream on a taco. Usually meat and grilled jalapenos on corn tortillas. Onions, lime and cilantro on al pastor. Cheddar and jack cheese are strictly Tex Mex. And authentic quesadillas are on corn tortillas, too.
Posted: Oct 26, 2010 9:48 am

Stop cooking beef. You ruin it that way
My mexican friends would also look at me in horror if the meat wasn't cooked WELL done. When you are used to eating questionable meat, you are going to want it cooked to death. Just in case.
Posted: Nov 11, 2010 12:55 pm

for the love of all that's holy, just make sure you cut it against the grain. I made that mistake one time, and chewed on one taco for what seemed like 3 hours.
Posted: Nov 11, 2010 4:46 pm

go maiz or go home. also, it's healthier.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®