Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Ardbeg Single Malt Scotch Whisky
Posted: Jun 4, 2010 5:10 pm

has anyone had this shit? i tried some last night and it tasted like chloraseptic and made my tongue numb even. i'm not a scotch fan but i've had good scotch so i know what to expect, but this shit was seriously god awful. can't see how liquor could go "bad" so is it SUPPOSED to taste like that?
Posted: Jun 4, 2010 5:16 pm

Not sure if I've had that brand, but I've definitely had scotch that tastes exactly the way you describe. The kind of shit that makes Laphroaig taste like Jack Daniels.

I dunno, I don't hate it but it's certainly not worth the pricetag to me. Might be better if I smoked cigars.
Posted: Jun 4, 2010 5:45 pm

ah, ok. so there's a "style" of scotch that tastes like the gulf oil leak?
Posted: Jun 4, 2010 5:47 pm

so it tasted like a Scottish gal's armpit?
Posted: Jun 4, 2010 5:58 pm

Yes, it's characteristic of Islay scotches, from the isle of Islay. They all taste that way with varying levels of "peatiness" which is the chloraseptic / band-aid taste.

What you prefer would be the "highland" scotches.
Posted: Jun 4, 2010 6:03 pm

also, did you drink it straight up? a couple ice cubes or even some water makes that peaty scotch much more drinkable.
Posted: Jun 4, 2010 11:43 pm

ah ha. thanks for the clarification on that. it was a taste. like, 1/2 a shot glass. i'm aware that "good" scotch (the ones that taste like fresh band-aids) require a splash of water. i did have some laphroaig and it was WAY more tolerable. like a leather band-aid.
Posted: Jun 6, 2010 7:23 pm

Yes, it's characteristic of Islay scotches, from the isle of Islay. They all taste that way with varying levels of "peatiness" which is the chloraseptic / band-aid taste.

Yeah, I had a sample of some Scotch recently. Forget the name, maybe it was Laphroaig. It tasted exactly like something that came straight out of an autoclave, but yet, still tasted like something from a swamp. And that shitty antiseptic taste stayed in my mouth. I don't see how anybody could acquire a taste for something like that. Especially when you could just as well drink Jim Beam or even Clontarf.
Posted: Jun 16, 2010 9:29 pm

June 16 (Bloomberg) -- A Scotch whisky matured for more than six decades sold for 25,200 pounds ($37,245) at an Edinburgh auction today as collectors vied for rare malts.

The bottle is one of 61 produced by the Glenfiddich distillery and the whisky has matured for 64 years, host Bonhams said in its catalog. It was bought by an unidentified purchaser over the telephone. Bidding started at 10,000 pounds.

The price, which includes the auctioneer's fee, compares with a presale estimate of as much as 20,000 pounds at hammer prices -- and a world record of 29,400 pounds for a bottle of Scotch set in Glasgow in 2007.
Posted: Aug 27, 2010 5:23 pm

Ardbeg proudly represents itself as one of the peatiest malts out ther, for which there is a small but rabid fan base. I like it a great deal myself but it ain't for everyone fo sho. It is however quite cost effective. Drink half a bottle of that and you will still be savoring it 3 days later. If you like the peat but don't care for the medicinal characteristics try Lagavulin. It's got all the smoke but much less brine.
Posted: Aug 28, 2010 6:22 pm

for which there is a small but rabid fan base

there is also a small and rabid fanbase for having one's scrotum nailed to a window pane or eating ridiculously hot thai food just to get your name on a "wall of fame". at a certain point you cross that line and just become a parody of "extreme" taste. lagavulin is good. still hate scotch overall though.
Posted: Sep 1, 2010 12:18 pm

maybe get a Food Channel TV series out of it? "The Peat Master"? "Feats of Peat"?
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®