1. Srircha
2. Crystal
3. Tapatio and it's ilk
Posted: May 19, 2010 12:59 pm

Pico Pica
Posted: May 19, 2010 1:05 pm

Mrs. Renfro's Hot Salsa or Habanero
Posted: May 19, 2010 2:56 pm

I was on a Marie Sharp's kick after coming back from Belize, but I done ran out.
Posted: May 19, 2010 2:57 pm

1. Valentina
2. Sriracha
3. Crystal
Posted: May 19, 2010 5:12 pm

1. Ernie K-Doe's Hot Sauce (Red or Green) - available at Mother-In-Law Lounge, N.O.
Posted: May 19, 2010 5:23 pm

Crystal
Pepper Vinegar
Sambal Olek
Posted: May 19, 2010 8:28 pm

killer local brew: http://www.oldgrumpymarks.com/

this guy makes and bottles it in the back of a burrito shop right up the street from me. all i've been using for the last year and a half. the texas hold 'em bbq hot is killin!

http://www.roburritos.com/
Posted: May 19, 2010 10:35 pm

Sriracha for a lotta stuff.
Franks on fried chicken, cuz it's cheap, or a custom sauce I make by cutting Eaton's Scotch Bonnet sauce with cider vinegar.

I've had fried chicken with Sriracha on it, but it just ain't right. Might as well go sauceless if the rooster's all you got.
Posted: May 20, 2010 12:25 am

Just got some Fred Meyer hot sauce. 99 cents for 12oz!!!

Unfortunately not the best sauce. It reminds me of Trappey's.
Posted: May 20, 2010 11:52 am

Sambal Olek

I forgot about this one. Have you ever heard of/had black Sambal? I only learned of its existence recently, but haven't tried it.
Posted: May 20, 2010 12:08 pm

Sambal Olek
Is that the garlicky Sriracha that comes in a jar? I likes that. Also Panola Chicken Wing Sauce is great -reminds me of Tiger Sauce but milder and sweeter. Valentina is a new favorite . When you want less heat , that's the one.
Posted: May 20, 2010 5:31 pm

I was on a Marie Sharp's kick after coming back from Belize, but I done ran out.

Marie Sharp's is thee best. The classic red and the green habanero are my all time favorite bottled hotr sauces.

Sriracha is good for Asian dishes, and Tapatio/Cholula are good for Mexican, but Marie Sharp's kills on any kinda food.

Melinda's is about the closest off-the-shelf hotsauce to MS's available outside of Belize*.

If you find yourself in Heppner, OR there is a coffee shop on the main drag run by missionaries that sells Marie Sharp's. Every summer, I pass thru there on a motorcycle trip and pick up as many bottles as will fit in my tank bag.

*available online here.
Posted: May 20, 2010 8:42 pm

Louisiana Hot Sauce
Posted: May 21, 2010 9:20 am

Melinda's and Crystal, for different things.
Posted: May 21, 2010 9:24 am

Posted: May 21, 2010 10:04 am

If you find yourself in Heppner, OR there is a coffee shop on the main drag run by missionaries that sells Marie Sharp's. Every summer, I pass thru there on a motorcycle trip and pick up as many bottles as will fit in my tank bag.

Cool. Thanks for the tip! Now I have a reason to ride to Heppner.
Posted: May 21, 2010 10:17 am

Andre's Rouge, RIP.
Posted: May 21, 2010 3:24 pm

Dang, Marie Sharps only comes in tiny bottles that last about a week to a month also. C'mon people, we need some pint jugs of the shit.
Posted: May 21, 2010 4:32 pm

Marie Sharps. Fell in love it in Belize, also. Bought the 6 pack assortment of flavors on the way back to the US. Long gone now. But I hope to be back in Belize next spring.
Posted: May 21, 2010 4:40 pm

1. sriracha. (love the hell out of it and put it on nearly anything that isn't sweet.)
2. crystal.
3. ? dunno. i usually just use the aforementioned two.
Posted: May 21, 2010 5:03 pm

Really? I find Sriracha unpalatable on eggs, fried chicken and clam chowder, and a several other things.
Posted: May 21, 2010 7:47 pm

Aardvark......more localish here i think, supplanted Cholula for my egg spicin'...also this Bad Monkey stuff ain't bad either...but other than local, Cholula, Valentino, Louisiana, and that garlic Sriracha paste shit...all good
Posted: May 21, 2010 8:13 pm

Yeah, Matto, Secret Aardvark is damn good.

Dumb name, great sauce.
Posted: May 25, 2010 5:49 pm

Steve's Red Hot... is one I likes.. it's a lot like Louisiana and Cholula. Tapatio is OK. Had too give up the Secret Aardvark b'cuz of the sugar and tomatoes in contains (allergic, boo!)... but that shit is unparalleled.

Sambal Olek!!
Posted: May 25, 2010 7:11 pm

Steve's Red Hot

S'cuze me... FRANK'S Red Hot..
Posted: May 26, 2010 12:14 pm

can we say hot sauces adhere to one of three categories?

1. Tabasco/LA style
2. Asian
3. Mexican/chili pepper style
Posted: May 26, 2010 2:36 pm

Sambal
Tobasco
That chinese shit with the rooster on the bottle.
Kroger X-tra hot ($ .49)
Posted: May 27, 2010 2:03 pm

Another favorite of mine, in the three ingredient category (peppers, vinegar, salt) is Arizona Gunslinger, a damn fine jalapeno sauce. They got other varieties too, but never tried 'em.
Posted: May 27, 2010 2:40 pm

Secret Aardvark

RIP dude who made this sauce but who's name escapes me. terrible musican. great hot sauce maker.

Crystal extra hot
Crystal
Sriracha
Sambal
my homemade prik nam pla
Texas Pete
Posted: May 27, 2010 3:15 pm

The "Chipotle Tabasco" tastes good, but it's VERY mild.
Posted: May 27, 2010 3:18 pm

The adobo sauce that chipotle peppers are packed in is fuckin' hot!!!!
Posted: May 27, 2010 10:46 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

Secret Aardvark

RIP dude who made this sauce but who's name escapes me. terrible musican. great hot sauce maker.

Damn, I wasn't aware of that.

The Aardvark works well in clam chowder and oysters on the half shell. I'll have to get some to try on other stuff, cuz the only place I've seen it is at my favorite local fish and chips joint.
Posted: May 28, 2010 11:12 am

Scott Barr Moritz: He was the frontman for Scotland Barr & the Slow Drags. And founded Secret Aardvark.
Posted: May 29, 2010 10:43 am

not completely on topic. but the BBQ shop's hot BBQ sauce is the bestest in the realm of hot ass BBQ sauce
Posted: May 30, 2010 11:56 am

I find Sriracha unpalatable on eggs

really? i use it on huevos con chorizo all the time.

The "Chipotle Tabasco" tastes good, but it's VERY mild.

i like to use this stuff in black beans.
Posted: May 30, 2010 2:05 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

Not a fan of Mexi-eggs. Except when they're sunnyside up on top of some enchiladas.

Don't care for scrambled eggs with a buncha crap in 'em. Just a little feta or parmesan, and that's it. Vinegary hot sauce on top.

Sriracha's too damn sweet for eggs. It ain't right!
Posted: May 30, 2010 5:53 pm

Sriracha's too damn sweet for eggs. It ain't right!

no no no!!
I'm addicted to egg&potato in a flour tortilla with siracha . It's wrong without the siracha!
but I also like pickapeppa (with cream cheese), which is kinda sweet-

I'll admit siracha gets old. When I can't settle on a hot sauce I just add cayenne pepper.
Posted: May 30, 2010 7:27 pm

I love pickapeppa on cream cheese on crackers too. And jalapeno jelly and cream cheese on crackers. Sweet hot works there, but not on my eggs.

I had eggs and taters for breakfast. Sugar free hot sauce is what got the job done.
Posted: Jun 2, 2010 2:08 am

Sambal Olek- just tried on fried chx.
Posted: Jun 3, 2010 12:08 am

i had some hot as hell mexican green sauce that i bought at my local vietnamese grocery a couple of years ago. Had a huge bottle of it for about a year... a couple of shakes would heat things up perfectly but still tasted great. Bright green flecks of some infernal pepper ran through the thing.

Didn't survive some fridge defrost / cleanout session and I don't know what it was. Grocery doesn't carry it any more. Shoulda written it down. Shoulda bought backup bottles. Dang.
Posted: Jun 3, 2010 12:15 am

no, not el yucateco.
Posted: Jun 4, 2010 4:16 pm

Sirache is ok. I like it sometimes.
Cholula has always been a favorite.
Chipotle Tabasco is good on crackers. Well, at least when I am drunk it is.
Sambal Olek is sneaky. I love it. We used to put it in chili.
Tapatio is probably my favorite overall.
Posted: Jun 6, 2010 5:57 pm

Poblano (thats the brand) Hot sauce...4 varieties...tucson only...ooohhh its awesome
Posted: Jun 16, 2010 7:19 pm | Edited by: VUVUZELA

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Posted: Jun 18, 2010 4:32 pm

I was just eating valentina on its own. I don't even think of it as hot sauce. It's just food.
Posted: Jun 18, 2010 7:29 pm

Valentina is good, and it's so cheap!

I really like that habanyero hot sauce that the Kwik Chek on Madison makes. Gyro just don't taste the same without that stuff on it.
Posted: Sep 1, 2017 4:43 pm

New fave is the green Picamas Salsa Brava. It's thick like Sriracha, but not sweet. Tons of flavor. Especially incredible on eggs and fried chicken.

I'm not much for Tabasco, but I heard if you're losing your erection, you put a little on your finger and diddle your b-hole and you're good to go.
Posted: Sep 15, 2017 1:12 pm

best taco sauce:

http://www.lapreferida.com/products/salsa-taquera16oz/

Last bottle I got wasn't a hot as the first, but still delicious. I love everything I've tried from this brand. Best enchilada sauce too.
Posted: Sep 15, 2017 3:09 pm

I've been on a grilled chicken wing kick lately. I like to take about a 1/3 cup of Franks, a whole stick of butter, splash of Worcestershire and a bottle of mexican coke, simmer that up until it thickens and then toss the grilled wings.

By the way, if you are in Portland, the I<3Belizean restaurant sells Marie Sharpes.
Posted: Sep 16, 2017 10:17 am

They still make Tequiza?
Posted: Sep 16, 2017 2:04 pm | Edited by: bazooka joe

The Troll:
1/3 cup of Franks, a whole stick of butter, splash of Worcestershire and a bottle of mexican coke, simmer that up until it thickens and then toss the grilled wings.

sounds great. do you season the wings at all before they hit the grill? and how many wings with that coat?
Posted: Sep 17, 2017 12:35 am

I dry brine the wings the day before. I do 1 tsp baking powder and 1 tsp kosher salt per pound tossed and then put them on a cookie sheet. Then I cook them over indirect heat for around 40 minutes.
Posted: Sep 17, 2017 9:52 am

No seasoning, just the dry brine. The sauce is for around 3 pounds of wings.
Posted: Oct 30, 2017 1:58 pm

surprised there isnt more love for louisiana "one drop".
that crystal and valentina black label are my jams
Posted: Mar 7, 2018 4:07 pm

Eaton's Crushed Peppers from Jamaica is the shit.
Posted: Mar 7, 2018 5:02 pm

I made wings last night, still good.

I tried some Nando's Peri Peri sauce I had a coupon for but it was shit. I miss eating at the actual restaurant so, the sauce was kind of a let down.
Posted: Mar 8, 2018 1:04 pm

Nando's flavor is ok at best, but it is rather hot.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®