Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Anyone ever roast a pig in the ground?
Posted: May 10, 2010 7:30 pm

Advice?
Posted: May 10, 2010 8:30 pm

ARMAN DID! I asked him and he said, "build a box"...pffft!
Posted: May 11, 2010 9:54 pm

Get one of those China Boxes.

La Caja China or something like that.
Posted: May 12, 2010 7:44 am

ARMAN DID! I asked him and he said, "build a box"...pffft!

what more do you want? to cook it for you??? fuck you in your nose.
Posted: May 12, 2010 9:37 am

I second the ease of the box. I think you can rent them, too. Here's what mine looked like that a friend lent me that he built. There's a tray lid that you put the coals on and you can chuck aromatics inside with the swine.

I have to say, I must've done something wrong because my pig was kinda just blah. I preferred how pork comes out on the smoker or sauced. I'm sure it's just my fault, but a whole pig just seemed like so much pulled pork that hasn't had anything put in it.

Be sure you have plenty of people on hand to help you eat it.
Posted: May 12, 2010 9:59 am | Edited by: skank police

I am telling you, you don't need a damn box. The Hawaiians have had this shit dialed for 200 years. I'm no expert, but I've seen it done a few times. Use a separate fire pit to heat the stones (takes a couple days), hot stones go in the hole, the pig is wrapped in chicken wire for ease of lifting in and out, then the pit is covered with banana leaves to seal in the heat:

http://z.about.com/d/gohawaii/1/0/K/z/3/princeville_luau_06.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalua

...ever had Kalua Pork? RIDICU-LICIOUS!
Posted: May 12, 2010 10:03 am

Posted: May 12, 2010 10:33 am

I am telling you, you don't need a damn box.

well, alo-fucking-ha, i'm building one anyway!
Posted: May 12, 2010 11:09 am

the hole is already been dug and i'm doing it differently than any one here has suggested. and i'm going to do it drunk. and i'm going to record it for posterity.
Posted: May 12, 2010 11:12 am

Make sure you've got a big table to work on, or some plywood and saw horses. Gloves, linesman pliers, splitting hatchet or maul and knives, Knives, KNIVES!!!!!
Posted: May 12, 2010 11:12 am

WHHOOOOOOO! Happy Birthday, Seamus!
Posted: May 12, 2010 11:45 am

and i'm going to do it drunk.

that's an assumed given.

big table to work on

i've got an old hospital type table with enameled steel top. hygenic and perfect for hacking of meat.
Posted: May 12, 2010 12:41 pm

Sauce soaked Burlap!
Posted: May 12, 2010 3:21 pm

how about a good, not to salt based brine? anyone?
Posted: May 12, 2010 5:33 pm

Oh, there will be brine. Piggy comes home tomorrow.
Posted: May 12, 2010 5:42 pm

Brining a pig? I prefer dry rubs on fatty pig and leave wet brining for leaner cuts, like loin. Sorry, I don't have a recipe, either, other than kosher salt, maybe some brown sugar and water.
Posted: May 13, 2010 1:54 am

I spit-roasted a lamb on the beach when I went camping once. Basically, you've got to get a feeder fire going... a big fire that you keep roaring and produces coals that you can use to slowly cook the animal.

We were camping, so had no problem drinking all night, tending both fires, and rotating the lamb. Your milage may vary.
Posted: May 13, 2010 1:56 am

Took about 18 hours, all told.
Posted: May 16, 2010 1:45 pm

44 pounds of swine, 20 heads of cabbage and a bunch of molten rocks in the ground. Nothing left to do but wait and hope.
Posted: May 16, 2010 10:35 pm

pictures!
Posted: May 17, 2010 12:19 am

that shit was killer..Seamus almost gagging on the eyeball was also killer...people have pics that should be up soon...
Posted: May 17, 2010 2:11 am

I still dont believe that method of cooking is viable in the least but that is some of the best pork I have ever eaten.

Crazy fuckin Hawaiians. Salutations to your cooking methods!
Posted: May 20, 2010 5:34 pm

Yes!
Posted: May 22, 2010 7:59 pm

just got done building the smoker box. all it needs is a grill grate and handles (its pretty heavy) and its ready to go. going to put it over a shallow, brick lined pit for the fire. the cap is a (conceivably) sort of sliding induction device that will suck cold air in one side and vent smoke out the other to regulate the amount of heat. we'll see how that works out next week.
Posted: May 22, 2010 9:21 pm

just made a round of cubano sandwiches with some more of our pig... so much pig... feeling slow lately...
Posted: May 25, 2010 4:24 pm

we'll see how that works out next week.

i'm sad i have to miss. damn wftda meeting. :P pig roasts should take precedence over derby business. hahah.
Posted: May 30, 2010 2:21 pm | Edited by: arman

here's what i got so far: photobucket.com/albums/ee144/armangedon/strong%20like%20bull
Posted: May 31, 2010 2:27 pm

Posted: May 31, 2010 9:15 pm

what were the results? was succulency maintained? what sort of flavors did the grill impart?

enquiring minds want to know.
Posted: Jun 1, 2010 8:08 am

what were the results?
fucking meat falling off the bone awesome. the skin was the only thing holding it together.

was succulency maintained?
HERE.

what sort of flavors did the grill impart?
used hickory. let it smoke for about 8 1/2 hours.
Posted: Jun 1, 2010 8:35 am

oh, the curse of our porcine brethren... to be so delicious and succulent... i will post pics as soon as my lazy ass figures out how to...
Posted: Jun 1, 2010 8:50 am

didn't get an eyeball shot though. one had burst and the other popped when i was trying to dig it out. cursed indeed!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®