Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Hate to do it, Best BBQ in Memphis? Lately and Legend
Posted: Mar 6, 2010 7:07 am

Lately, I don't know I haven't spent enough time in Memphis lately. Is this horse beaten dead enough? I don't think so , even if you dedicated a righteous masters thesis to Memphis BBQ I think alot more could be said.
So here's my legend list
RIBS-Rendevous
SHOULDER- The Commisary
Best Spag. and Pork Plate- John Wills
Best BBQ Pizza- Italian Place on Park that's in the U of M area.
Best Fast Reg. Sandwich- Tops
Posted: Mar 6, 2010 12:15 pm

Best BBQ Pizza-Coletta's Restuarant
Posted: Mar 6, 2010 2:11 pm

sounds like blasphemy, but we ordered the pulled pork nachos for our rendezvous visit...holy shit...insanely awesome...
Posted: Mar 6, 2010 3:14 pm

i actually like pulled pork nachos, which is weird considering it has that nasty nacho cheese sauce on em, but i don't care. they're delicious.

i can't stand bbq pizza though for whatever reason, so i can't answer you that question at all.

best ribs? cozy corner.

best pulled pork sammich? i like payne's.
Posted: Mar 6, 2010 3:52 pm

best ribs? cozy corner.

I concur - my favorite overall is Cozy Corner.
My favorite BBQ pizza was always Broadway Pizza. I still like it, even though it's weird as all get out.
If my Seattle friends don't get their fill of BBQ with Cozy Corner and Paynes, I'm going to suck it up and go to the Rendevous. I don't think I'll be eating nachos though. They do have those lamb riblets on the menu that are mighty good.

I have a stake in all this. My grandfather opened the first counter BBQ joint (ala Tops) in Memphis - called the Pig Pen. His obit called him "Barbeque Man"! Tops took over the Summer Ave. location...so I have a soft spot for Tops. BBQ sandwiches are nothing special, but god, those cheeseburgers! I do appreciate that Tops has been operating here for a really long time.
Posted: Mar 6, 2010 11:30 pm

Matto, this joint in portland called Spints has a pretzel with your name on it. Sunday last day, tho:

Tomorrow is the last chance to get Nacho dirty pretzel, topped with pulled pork, black beans, jalapenos, cheese and sour cream. New pretzel to be announced on twitter on Monday.
Posted: Mar 7, 2010 8:47 am

best sandwich/shoulder: morris grocery
best ribs: central bbq or jack's rib shack
best value: shoulder pack at 3 little pigs
Posted: Mar 8, 2010 10:48 am

best ribs? cozy corner. AGREE.

DISAGREE, but its still good.
Posted: Mar 9, 2010 6:51 pm

They do have those lamb riblets on the menu that are mighty good.

whoa. when did they do that??? i haven't been to the rendezvous in a long time. probably not since i took my dad to cozy corner and he started becoming a believer in the ribs there. he used to be a rendezvous fanatic, but that's all changed. i do like some lamb.

DISAGREE, but its still good.

so what do you like best?

as long as you don't say central bbq, i may be able to listen to what you have to say. :) hahah.
Posted: Mar 9, 2010 11:49 pm

best BBQ nachos - fat larry's
his brisket is some of the best i've had too.
his ribs - pretty good
poke samwich - pretty good
Posted: Mar 10, 2010 7:16 pm

Ahhh, come on dcr! Aren't you just a little bit biased?? I do concur with you.
Posted: Mar 11, 2010 4:25 pm

elle, they've had those lamb riblets on the menu forever! They are awesome!

I've got a friend coming in from L.A. and bringing her old, rich parents from Asbury Park, NJ in June. I mean, her folks are a HOOT! I've seen pics of her mother's living room with the white grand piano and the signed pic of Liberace on it! Her mom wants to do the Elvis thing for her birthday. Of course I told her to go to the Rendezvous. Although that's the last BBQ place I'd take real guests, it's perfect for (daughter described) "classist, rich people". They'll have a good time there.
Posted: Mar 11, 2010 6:20 pm

I created a post about who sells the best BBQ about 2 years ago.
Not because I have any intrest in BBQ, well not as mush as you folks.
But just to see how many people would comment about it. Over, &, over, and over again. You people are CRAZY!

Crazy about BBQ.
Posted: Mar 11, 2010 6:56 pm

Crazy about BBQ.
Fuckin A!
Posted: Apr 7, 2010 11:16 pm

I really liked paynes but loved A&R.
Posted: Apr 17, 2010 5:00 pm

Sandwich--Paynes
Ribs--A&R and Roadside (Lehi, AR)

Will be stopping in Craig's in DeValls Bluff in early June...finally.
http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Reviews/2453/craigs
Posted: Apr 26, 2010 5:58 pm

Posted: Apr 26, 2010 7:14 pm

I had a dream about hangin' out with the Neely family last night.
Posted: Apr 27, 2010 12:56 pm

the problem with travelling 1500 miles to Memphis to eat BBQ is that then you need to go to KC as well
Posted: Apr 28, 2010 7:08 am | Edited by: Tommy Trouble

Why Cozy Corner has the best ribs on the planet: Texture.

The flavor is great, but texture is the key to CC's ribs' greatness.
I hate fall-off-the-bone ribs. Cozy has a density that makes eating their ribs seem more substantial.

the problem with travelling 1500 miles to Memphis to eat BBQ is that then you need to go to KC as well

LC's is my favorite BBQ in KC. I like the sandwich better than Payne's in Memphis (plus you can get a combo pork/beef sammy). I also love Bryant's and Gate's. I'm wishing I had some BBQ right now.

Haven't found ribs I love in KC, though...
Posted: Apr 28, 2010 8:23 am

well if were goin to KC then we goin to North Carolina as well!
quick someone hire some grantwriters!!
maybe we can apply for Goner's Southern Folkways blah blah blah scholarship to finace these operations? Eric?
Posted: Apr 28, 2010 9:47 am

KC is good (I like Bryants, haven't had LC's yet) but Memphis is superior. Sure KC has brisket, but TX brisket is better. Carolina BBQ is good, but having eaten all three styles several times, I'll take Memphis.
Posted: Apr 28, 2010 10:28 am

maybe we can apply for Goner's Southern Folkways blah blah blah scholarship to finace these operations? Eric?

Do some legwork, figure out who to apply to, I'm all for it.

Also interestedin any documented solo missions for upcoming Goner Cookbooks/ Culinary guides.
Posted: Apr 28, 2010 12:20 pm

Haven't found ribs I love in KC, though...

Bryant's ribs went downhill once Arthur passed on. The nephew is good with the beef, but can't handle ribs.

In KC I like "brownies" (burnt ends) but it's got to be a place with good sauce.

Best ribs is a toughie. I had CC's but then my mouth was spoiled with the BBQ baloney.
I do prefer the way cooked version. Got to be hot off the brick smoker loaded with hardwoods.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®