Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Food Oddities!
Posted: Mar 4, 2010 3:00 pm

This kid is actually a pretty good food critic (of weird stuff)

Posted: Mar 4, 2010 3:01 pm

Has anyone ever heard of Balut?
Posted: Mar 4, 2010 3:08 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

Had some on my dining room table once, but sure as hell didn't eat it.

That kid's gonna have nightmares!
Posted: Mar 4, 2010 4:25 pm

when i first moved to california i was working at a record store in the little saigon section of fountain valley. on my lunch break i decided to be adventurous & went into the vietamese restaurant next door. first thing i see is jars of balut all over the counter. kinda freaked me out, so i order a can of coke & got the hell out of there.
Posted: Mar 4, 2010 5:21 pm

Has anyone ever heard of Balut?

heard of, but never had..
Posted: Mar 4, 2010 8:08 pm

Who ever thought of hard boiling an egg right before the thing hatched was one sick foodie!
Posted: Mar 12, 2010 1:05 pm

I worked with a lady from the phillipines who used to love balut eggs. She talked me into trying one. I thought I was the man, and I would be able to handle it.
Eating it was no big deal, but the thought of what I had eaten really messed me up for the rest of the day.
Posted: Mar 12, 2010 4:04 pm

I imagine that the taste wouldn't be that bad. cross between a chicken & egg i suppose? but the look & texture would get to me.
kinda like when i attempted to try another "food oddity" Cabeza (cow head).
ordered a plain cabeza taco once. got it home & picked up one on the chunks of meat to taste it on its own... every time i touched it i had to drop the piece, it was so spongy & slimy, that i couldn't even bear having it between my finger, let alone make it all the way to my mouth.
Posted: Mar 12, 2010 6:31 pm

I eat cabeza all the time. It's primarily cheek meet.

I dig the lengua too. Never went balls out for the sesos (brain), however.
Posted: Mar 12, 2010 6:36 pm

ok, real challenge, shrimp from taco bell!
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 12:13 am | Edited by: Joe

I ate confit baby pig brain a week or so ago. The taste was great (pork fat!) but the texture was so gross... like milky, fatty, really creamy chalk. I like preserved eggs, but balut would be tough.
Posted: Mar 14, 2010 1:45 am

Ive had Hákarl, which is fermented shark. godawful.
Posted: Mar 15, 2010 1:15 pm

I dig the lengua too.

Me too. I still prefer to order asada, but the Lengua is fine. Don't think I could do brains. but next time I may get brave & try the Buche .
Posted: Mar 15, 2010 3:39 pm

Eating it was no big deal, but the thought of what I had eaten really messed me up for the rest of the day.

That happened to me eating turtle soup. It tasted great, but I couldn't finish the bowl once I started thinking about it. Turtle is not even that strange of a thing to eat.
Posted: Mar 16, 2010 5:12 pm

Moroccan dinner.
Balls were best...brain was excellent...didnt like the kidneys.
Posted: Mar 16, 2010 5:39 pm

confit baby pig brain

who does this?! I've never seen that on a menu (that I know of)!

I'm not good with the gross, bizarre stuff, but was hired to help test recipes for a cookbook on Spain low country cooking. I was excited to work with whole sections of a pig, like it's head, but when it came to the chopped-pig ear pilaf dish, I got the willies. I tried telling myself the ear-bits were same as slivered almonds, but it did not work. Blech!
Posted: Mar 18, 2010 10:57 pm | Edited by: Vinyl Ritchie

brains are awesome...like scrambled eggs but brainier.

Cabeza tacos are the best tacos.

whale(minke) is pretty badass...although I probably wouldnt eat it again unless some inuit dude killed it with a homemade spear, as commercial whaling is pretty damn barbaric and whaling on a commercial scale isnt sustainable...but my curiosity kicked my conscience in the nuts when I saw whale steak on the menu, I had to have it. Imagine a combo of a rib eye steak and toro...pretty kick ass.
Posted: Aug 22, 2010 7:12 pm

What about grasshoppers? Is that odd enough? I ate a taco back in southern Mexico. I think it was decent.
Posted: Aug 23, 2010 12:05 pm | Edited by: Mark Beef

Cabeza tacos are the best tacos.

lengua

less greezy
Posted: Aug 23, 2010 12:42 pm

I'm always up for tongue, but prefer jewish-deli style. I have gotten sick once too often on a lengua taco.

Calf brains lebanese style are truly delicious.

Can we talk about eating bugs now? I've only had grasshoppers and it depends on what kind of grease they're fried in...
Posted: Aug 23, 2010 6:03 pm

confit baby pig brain

who does this?! I've never seen that on a menu (that I know of)!

The place I work has a zero-waste policy when it comes to whole animals, so the cooks were playing around with different weird bits. That suckling pig brain went towards thickening and flavoring a sauce.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®