Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Thanksgiving specialities '09?
Posted: Nov 17, 2009 4:29 pm

I'm thinking cornbread stuffing with pecans, shallot and red peppers. no pork sausage owing to semitic style eaters at the table this year.

and i was considering an orange juice glaze for the bird.

???
Posted: Nov 17, 2009 4:58 pm

I would skip the glaze. Brine your bird and roast upside down (breast side down) so that all of the juices that cook off tap the parts that usually tend to be a little dryer. Baste with juices. You'll have a super moist flavorful bird that's only second to frying.
Posted: Nov 18, 2009 9:15 am

You'll have a super moist flavorful bird that's only second to frying.

having my first deep fried turkey this year, and i'm going to las vegas to get it. can't wait.
Posted: Nov 18, 2009 12:26 pm

Brine your bird

NOT brining! I read somewheres that brined birds cannot be stuffed! the horror.
Posted: Nov 18, 2009 12:37 pm

I have a feeling I'm going to be having cheesesteak for Thanksgiving.
Posted: Nov 18, 2009 3:33 pm

NOT brining! I read somewheres that brined birds cannot be stuffed! the horror.

Just a recommendation. I've learned that stuffing a turkey results in a drier and uneven cooked bird because of extended cooking time. Stuffing cooked in your bird does nothing for the stuffing or the bird, it's strictly presentation. Cooking each one seperately has yielded better results in my experience.
Posted: Nov 19, 2009 3:50 pm

Posted: Nov 19, 2009 9:47 pm

i needs a cheesecake recipe
Posted: Nov 20, 2009 11:43 am

I am meeting my girlfriends Dad for the first time for thanksgiving.
He is a non drinker and is a very religious person.
My speciality is going to be sneaking whiskey shots outside.
Posted: Nov 20, 2009 12:13 pm

I'm making blue cheese green bean casserole, collard greens, cornbread dressing but I NEED a good recipe for a whipped sweet potato casserole, pref. with maple syrup and a caramelized pecan topping...anyone have this recipe???
Posted: Nov 20, 2009 12:56 pm

I am going all in: Turducken. I don't have the time to bone out three birds, so I bought a Tony Chachere frozen pre-stuffed. I usually fry em, but I have a crazy schedule this year and don't really have the time or inclination. I just did all the pantry shopping today, I'll get some fresh veggies on Wed and knock out the sides.
Posted: Nov 20, 2009 4:12 pm

I bought a Tony Chachere frozen pre-stuffed.

jesus, dude, why don't you just go to Marie Callender's? Or Denny's.
Posted: Nov 20, 2009 5:17 pm

Tony's stuff is good, its packed in Oppalousas (sp?) and not overly processed. Its not a giant McNugget. You up for boning out a turkey, duck and chicken?
Posted: Nov 20, 2009 6:00 pm

Saispas -- from the Gonerboard Thanksgiving 2 years ago:

this is probably too late for you, but here's my mama's amazing recipe for sweet potato casserole. dunno if it's a bonafide Louisiana thing or just a southern thing, but it's goooood! too rich for more than just once a year!

3 cups mashed sweet potatoes
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 T vanilla
1/3 cup milk
1/2 cup butter

beat until smooth. pour into greased 2 qt casserole.

then: combine
1/3 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup butter
1 cup chopped pecans

sprinkle over potatoes, then bake at 350 for 30 minutes
Posted: Nov 20, 2009 6:27 pm

Just a recommendation. I've learned that stuffing a turkey results in a drier and uneven cooked bird because of extended cooking time. Stuffing cooked in your bird does nothing for the stuffing or the bird, it's strictly presentation. Cooking each one seperately has yielded better results in my experience.

totally agree...plus it's easier to give it a good cavity suck..
Posted: Nov 20, 2009 6:54 pm | Edited by: Jesse Garon

c'mon. dry stuffing is a bummer.

it's gotta be soaked with bird juices. you may as well make a "stovetop" mix in your microwave, you heretics.

the indians would stuff their turkeys with acorns.

next you'll be saying giblet gravy is bad, you should just buy a jar of Heinz and heat it up.
Posted: Nov 20, 2009 7:13 pm

You'll have a super moist flavorful bird that's only second to frying.
unless you cook it in a trashcan.
Posted: Nov 20, 2009 8:40 pm

no brining...dry salting the bird this year
Posted: Nov 20, 2009 9:10 pm

c'mon. dry stuffing is a bummer.
Stuffing a bird creates a dry bird and stuffing is for yankees. It's called dressing or it sucks.
Posted: Nov 20, 2009 10:49 pm

I got a 12 lb turkey and 9.25 lb brisket. going to deep fry the turkey and smoke th' brisket. was thinking about trying to stuff the pulled apart brisket into the cooked turkey's cavity, but I dunno
Posted: Nov 20, 2009 11:32 pm

I got a 12 lb turkey and 9.25 lb brisket. going to deep fry the turkey and smoke th' brisket. was thinking about trying to stuff the pulled apart brisket into the cooked turkey's cavity, but I dunno

i hear stuffing with white castle burgers is awesome.
Posted: Nov 21, 2009 7:55 am

do krystal burgers work?
Posted: Nov 21, 2009 9:47 am

Andria!

Thanks so much. I found a couple off Epicurious, but this sounds exactly like what I had last year that I loved. I'll try it this year, so again, thank you so much!
Posted: Nov 21, 2009 11:47 am

you're welcome! i thought i'd typed it out a few years ago and was too lazy to go digging thru my recipe box just yet... it is GOOD! my mama's arriving tomorrow, we will be cooking all week!

Oppalousas (sp?)

Opelousas. when my folks got married in Lafayette in the early 60s, my dad hid the car in Opelousas so his groomsmen wouldn't be able to decorate it. they flew from the reception @ the Petroleum Club to Opelousas in a little plane my grandpa had, and then my dad realized he'd left the car keys on his dresser at home! doh! the honeymoon was further complicated when my folks got to NOLA late that night and were told by the staff at the Monteleone that their reserved suite was already occupied... after much arguing they spent the night at the Thunderbird on Airline Hwy...
Posted: Nov 21, 2009 12:33 pm

is this thing on?

stuffing
Posted: Nov 21, 2009 12:50 pm

do krystal burgers work?

i assume they would. http://www.recipesource.com/fgv/stuffing/white-castle-turkey1.html
Posted: Nov 21, 2009 12:52 pm

white castle have "pulled pork" burgers now. just think about that as a stuffing...
Posted: Nov 21, 2009 7:37 pm | Edited by: saispas

Mom just ixnayed the blue cheese green bean casserole; oh well, I'll make her the recipe off the can of soup...and I know I will eat the hell out it!
Posted: Nov 21, 2009 10:59 pm

Think I'm gonna either butterfly or quarter the bird before roasting this year.

This months Sunset looks like it has a pretty good recipie.
Posted: Nov 22, 2009 4:51 pm

Never heard of this, but just did some googling and this trick looks fucking delicious. Any method that makes your bird collapse into a pile of meat and bone..........Have you done this?

no brining...dry salting the bird this year

No doubt! I dry-brine chickens before roasting. A hell of a lot easier and just as good if not better. Extra crispy skin. Thanksgiving is the one time a year I get to do a wet brine though and I dig the way it makes the house smell like juniper berries. You can still start your bird off breast side down with a dry-brine.
Posted: Nov 22, 2009 5:19 pm

it's gotta be soaked with bird juices.

I buy extra giblets, chop them shits up and add it to my stuffing. Giblet juicy!

next you'll be saying giblet gravy is bad

Heretic? YES. Unenlightened? NO! Is there any other gravy to be had? Your menu sounds awesome. The idea of a stuffed bird leaves me just as ravenous. You should still try a wet or dry brine sometime. I'll think you'll dig it.
Posted: Nov 22, 2009 7:59 pm

Never heard of this, but just did some googling and this trick looks fucking delicious. Any method that makes your bird collapse into a pile of meat and bone..........Have you done this?

I have and have helped my dad make several, including one filmed for a tv spot. (If only I could find that and get it on youtube)

It's really easy and a low maintenance way to cook your bird. I imagine that it would give you a great excuse to stand outside and drink beer.
Posted: Nov 23, 2009 1:20 pm

green bean casserole;

I am tempted to drop the mushroom soup/green beans/fried onions thing, but the hue and cry from the table would no doubt be extreme.
Posted: Nov 23, 2009 1:24 pm

Hmmmm ... this is the only glaze recipe I've found so far....

# 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
# 3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
# 3 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
# 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, softened
# 2 tablespoons olive oil
# 1/2 teaspoon salt
# 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
# 1/4 cup orange juice
# 1 teaspoon orange zest
# 1/3 cup dry white wine
Posted: Nov 23, 2009 5:01 pm

My contribution will be Gruyere Potatoes au Gratin. om nom nom
Posted: Nov 23, 2009 7:43 pm

I am tempted to drop the mushroom soup/green beans/fried onions thing, but the hue and cry from the table would no doubt be extreme.

It would only be extreme until they started eating it. I don't care what anyone says, that stuff is goodness. But I really wanted to try the blue cheese version, but my mom's "hue & cry" was pretty pathetic!
Posted: Nov 23, 2009 8:05 pm

I can vouch for this. Krystals are the same thing. it sounds sick but it's pretty amazing. my old chef makes it every year. throw some whole grain bread in so it's not too greasy.
Posted: Nov 25, 2009 8:06 am

Smoked Pork Ribs for Thanksgiving.

Fuck Turkey.
Posted: Nov 25, 2009 9:05 am

stuffing is for yankees

Hey, win a civil war before you open your mouth. You're probably not even from the south anyway, poseur.
Posted: Nov 25, 2009 10:21 am

Stuffing is for Yankees, if there's not some cornbread in it, it ain't dressing.
I'm as much as poseur as someone living on Long Guyland espousing the merits of Manhattan. Happy Turkey Day, turkey!
Posted: Nov 25, 2009 1:10 pm

no pork sausage owing to semitic style eaters at the table this year.

Allow me to recommend using ground turkey with fennel seed and course ground black pepper instead of pork sausage for dressing.
Posted: Nov 25, 2009 3:35 pm

some cornbread in it,

i baked a skillet load, not going to use the Mrs. Cubbison's this year. But I dunno, it seems too moist and crummy.

Isn't stuffing vs. dressing just a question of semantics?
Like the difference between "war between the states" and "civil war"?

Just quit feuding and give thanks already, Goners! Yayyyyyyyyyy
Posted: Nov 25, 2009 5:10 pm

But I dunno, it seems too moist and crummy.

Toast it in the oven to dry it out.
Posted: Nov 25, 2009 7:23 pm

fifth o jackdaniels....party.
Posted: Nov 25, 2009 7:39 pm

fifth o jackdaniels....party.

what's your recipe?
Posted: Nov 25, 2009 7:47 pm

$21.99 bottle o whisky, bag o ice, 2 liter bottle o soda.

It's simple really...
Posted: Nov 26, 2009 10:44 am

hard-corn pudding

1 Jiffy corn bread mix
2 eggs
1/2 pint sourcream
1 small can whole kernel corn
1 can cream corn
(sometimes I mix in about 1/2 cup shreaded cheese)

Mix together and bake in 400 over for about 25 minutes (until golden on top)
Posted: Nov 26, 2009 1:04 pm

Spatchcocking!
Posted: Nov 26, 2009 1:12 pm

pork ribs a smoking'.. bbq sauce is done... six pack of tall boys chilled...

lesson learned: always include bacon in any bbq sauce meant for pork.
Posted: Nov 26, 2009 1:17 pm

Turducken almost done, then its time to load the oven with sides: dressing, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, broccoli cheese rice casserole, mashed potatoes and gravy. My only dilemma is the Cowboys and the Longhorns play at the same time!
Posted: Nov 26, 2009 2:08 pm | Edited by: andria

I spatchcocked yesterday and it is delish!
Posted: Nov 26, 2009 2:31 pm

It's simple really...

you really "complicated" (i.e. fagged it up) that recipe with the ice and soda water
Posted: Nov 26, 2009 2:33 pm

for years i've been trying to get my cornbread to turn out like my great aunt alda's but have failed every single time. i'm getting close, but its still not the same.
Posted: Nov 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Sometimes its the pan.
Posted: Nov 26, 2009 5:42 pm

spam casserole is in the oven
Posted: Nov 26, 2009 6:58 pm

i managed to dodge the thanksgiving cooking bullet this year magically, but unfortunately it meant bland old people food. the pecan pie and cranberry sauce were awesome though.
Posted: Nov 26, 2009 9:42 pm

I got the gluten allergy blues...but damned if I didn't make a real fine dressing/stuffing out of brown rice, cooked in broth...lotsa butter, slivered almonds, granny smith apples, pork sausage, all the same flavors...I even ground my own poultry seasoning blend in my mortar and pestle........FUCK YOU BREAD!!
Posted: Nov 26, 2009 9:51 pm

you could always do the cornbread dressing thing! :) but your dressing sounds really tasty as it is.
Posted: Nov 26, 2009 11:08 pm

It was all about Prime Rib Roast here today.
Posted: Nov 27, 2009 12:01 am

fucking hell, just found out i'm allergic to nutmeg, of course i put it in both of the pies i made
Posted: Nov 27, 2009 12:26 am

It's simple really...

you really "complicated" (i.e. fagged it up) that recipe with the ice and soda

If i was "faggin it up" i'd be gettin alot more dates.......trust me...

this ass says exit only!

HAWW!
Posted: Nov 27, 2009 12:54 am

you could always do the cornbread dressing thing! :) but your dressing sounds really tasty as it is.

Cornbread is bread too, made with both wheat flour and corn meal...unless it's made from a specified "gluten free" mix.....aaaaand I'm allergic to corn too, and a million other things, basically food in general....it totally fucking blows...but with a lot of research and planning, I managed to prepare an entire Thanksgiving dinner within my limitations...and my guests were pretty happy too, I do believe!
Posted: Nov 27, 2009 5:01 pm

HAWW!

indeed!
Posted: Nov 27, 2009 10:07 pm

We had pizza and chili. Happy Thanksgiving to me.
Posted: Nov 27, 2009 11:45 pm

TOTINOS PARTY PIZZAS!!!!!!
Posted: Nov 28, 2009 3:09 am

I may be missing something, but this year for the first time I had sweet potatos with pineapple. I was a little scared, but I was at the in laws for the first time and I had to make a show and try everything. So, I did. Man, those potatos were killer. I had two helpings and felt like a dick becuase there was only one pan of them and about 20 people eating, but fuck it. Later in the night, I was so full I could only manage to put down one bourbon on the rocks and one beer. Twas a good night.
Posted: Nov 28, 2009 2:36 pm

i had about a half a bottle of argentine malbec. and some turkey and cornbread dressing etc etc etc. no green bean casserole though, very disappointing. also made a coupla pecan pies with a touch of wild turkey for irony's sake.
Posted: Nov 29, 2009 3:23 pm

Cornbread is bread too

No.
Posted: Nov 23, 2010 12:40 pm

Whoo-hoo! Who has learned what from last year???

We got a pineapple! gonna try that sweet potatoes thing.

this year's "stuffing" --- cornbread mix with red peppers and pecans. may add some vodka.
Posted: Nov 23, 2010 2:13 pm

Frying two turkeys and a turkey breast for good measure. Gumbo on Sat!
Posted: Nov 23, 2010 7:53 pm

Frying two turkeys and a turkey breas

geez that's a lot of turkey! Are you hosting a football team???

cornbread mix with red peppers and pecans.
I've been incorporating pecans into a lot of dinners lately .. not sure what to put them in for T-day.

I'm going to make a couple pies and the dressing. If I make anything else it will be off-the-wall, and good I hope!

I've got a persimmon tree and the fruits are mostly ripe, not sure what to use them for tho.
Posted: Nov 24, 2010 1:01 pm

brining the bird as we speak
to be covered in a bourbon barrel porter pecan glaze...
sides and peanut butter pie

plus a bushel of oysters
Posted: Nov 24, 2010 1:47 pm

brining the bird as we speak
to be covered in a bourbon barrel porter pecan glaze...
sides and peanut butter pie

plus a bushel of oysters

yuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmm!
Posted: Nov 25, 2010 8:25 am

Never got the smoker or deep fryer I promised myself by this Thanksgiving so we just picked up a cajun turkey from Gus's.

Sides.....cornbread stuffing(not dressing), greens, pan roasted brussel sprouts with Alan Benton Bacon, roasted fingerlings also with bacon, green bean casserole. We will also pour copious amounts of gravy on everything.

Dessert....bourbon pecan pie and xanax

Drinks....Mimosas, cheap Malbec, bourbon

There's a lot of football on but I think my family might enjoy watching me play the new Tiger Woods game on the Wii instead.
Posted: Nov 25, 2010 8:45 am

Posted: Nov 23, 2010 7:53 pm Quote Frying two turkeys and a turkey breas

geez that's a lot of turkey! Are you hosting a football team???

We'll eat about 1 1/2 birds today, freeze the turkey breast for later and make gumbo with the rest.
Posted: Nov 25, 2010 10:58 am

Sounds damn good y'all!
I can't wait, cuz we're going to have three kinds of gravy, YUMMM
Posted: Nov 26, 2010 5:14 pm

plus a bushel of oysters

Last year we took all the meat off our leftover turkey. I made a stock out of the carcass and then used the meat and stock to make a turkey and oyster gumbo. Delicious!
Posted: Nov 29, 2010 1:02 pm

hmmmmm .... leftovers gumbo sounds GOOD!
but I might do paella instead --- that's kind of the Spanish gumbo, I guess.
Posted: Nov 29, 2010 10:51 pm

Leftovers potpie!
Posted: Nov 30, 2010 5:19 pm

I might do paella instead --- that's kind of the Spanish gumbo, I guess.

It could be Spanish Jambalaya. We have to remember to get a left-overs thread poppin' off next year.
Posted: Nov 30, 2010 6:50 pm

I got some oysters for my paella! But, they're in a jar.
Who gives a shuck?
Posted: Dec 7, 2010 12:42 pm

Paella turned out terrible.

I'm turning it into arancini, just add peas and deep fry.
Posted: Dec 7, 2010 3:01 pm

T-Day was my first batch of oysters for the year...locals, salty and awesome...
had some at a roast saturday night, doing some this friday, and bagging another bushel for xmas.
cold as hell and the best time for them!
Posted: Dec 12, 2010 5:24 am

I just ate some buttered eggrolls
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®