Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Favorite British Food?
Posted: Oct 27, 2009 11:43 am

I've got to go with the deep fried mushy pea patties.

Followed by a pint of bitter.
Posted: Oct 27, 2009 12:24 pm

Eggs, beans and hot tomatoes give me wood. I've never chased 'em down with beer, though.
Posted: Oct 27, 2009 12:54 pm

Marmite
Posted: Oct 27, 2009 1:48 pm

Full english breakfast w/ blood sausage washed down w/ a pint or two...good stuff!

Also fish n chips are always great w/ a pint or two of cider

I like that you can have a beer or two with every meal in europe and not be frowned upon
Posted: Oct 27, 2009 3:19 pm

I know it's not traditional English food but the best Indian food I've ever eaten in my life was in Manchester...we'd go to the Curry Mile after the football games...a whole street of nothing but Indian restaurants...over 70 of 'em...but yeah...you can't beat going to the chippy.
Posted: Oct 27, 2009 4:14 pm

Isn't Curry the official national food of England now?

Scotch eggs!
Posted: Oct 27, 2009 8:13 pm

I like that a beer or two in england equals a beer or three here
Posted: Oct 27, 2009 10:28 pm

I like the 12\" pizzas I bought for a pound each last week at Sainsbury\'s after punking out in Camden Town.
Posted: Oct 28, 2009 8:19 am

Sheps Pie
Fish and chips
Posted: Oct 28, 2009 8:19 am

blood pudding
Posted: Oct 28, 2009 9:33 am

Went to London last February for 10 days to see some football matches. Ate all kinds of stuff, but I think my favorites were the various kebab and donner places, the Indian food and I had some pretty good meat pies at the various football grounds. I think my single most favorite meal was a fresh grilled sausage with onions and stilton cheese that I got at the Borough Market south of the river. Pretty unbleievable market with all kinds of crazy shit from beer, to boar to all kinds of exotic fruits. I did have fish and chips at several different places and found it to be the most greasy, tasteless pieces of fried fish I have ever had. I tried putting vinegar on it, curry sause etc., all the condiments they have for that and none of it helped. I mean I guess it sereved a puropose after numerous pints, but not much in the way of taste. One of the places near where we stayed was the Fishcoteque, right by the Waterloo Station! Had some good Turkish food in London as well. Lots of beers!
Posted: Oct 28, 2009 9:38 am

I had some pretty good meat pies

Yes! Reminds me of my first half time at Maine road...chicken balti pie in one hand and a pint in the other...everytime I'vew been back since they always run out of the chicken balti pies...I don't even know what balti is but it was gooood.
Posted: Oct 28, 2009 10:06 am | Edited by: SSSSSSS

I got turned off by meat pies as a youth, must try them again. Last meat pie I had was pretty gnarly. baked in a big loaf pan and sliced about 1" thick and full o' meat jelly. I'd probably like it nowadays, given enough salt.
Posted: Oct 28, 2009 11:00 am

Golightly, how d'you feel about Man City's squillions of pounds? Does it make you wanna start supporting Atherton Town, or something? I guess we should be used to the money side of things these days, but it still makes me wanna throw up my fish'n'chips!

If anyone else comes to England, just go shop at Iceland.
Posted: Oct 28, 2009 11:28 am

I'm all for it...if money is ruling the day in the EPL, let it rule my team for a change...I just wanna see the big 4 be challenged...I'm 10 years into being a MCFC supporter and it's been a roller coaster ride...and it remains to be seen if money can buy you points...this IS City we're talking about you know!
Posted: Oct 28, 2009 11:37 am

It seems so far that money can definitely buy points. Not a Premiership title yet, but definitely some 'shit on the big 4' points.

Blue > red.
Posted: Oct 28, 2009 12:07 pm

I would gladly hoover up caviar from Posh Spice's belly.

Or is that Sporty Spice (Mrs. Beckham)?
Posted: Oct 29, 2009 11:44 am

Mrs. Beckham is Spice.

And, for all you football fans, Tim Howard lives in Germantown. Head out there and ask him about his days with Man U.
Posted: Oct 29, 2009 11:46 am

rs. Beckham is Spice.

posh or sporty?
Posted: Oct 29, 2009 7:25 pm

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_bB2oCWPSLhU/Rjm27AGp-SI/AAAAAAAAAQI/0nS5F8s5 e90/s400/Bubble%2BN%2BSqueak%2B(8).JPG

Bubble and Squeak hands down, taters and cabbage, can't go wrong. It's named for the sounds it makes whilst cooking.
Posted: Oct 29, 2009 7:41 pm

Bird quim
Posted: Oct 29, 2009 8:05 pm

Chips'n'gravy anyone? Love that stuff. Or curry sauce. My sister's name is Victoria Beck. She isn't posh. She rules.
Posted: Oct 29, 2009 11:06 pm

English muffins. Not the ones that you put jelly on but the ones you put k-y jelly on.
Posted: Oct 30, 2009 1:44 am

I'd love to have a bird make water on my oysters.
Posted: Nov 1, 2009 10:34 am

Chips'n'gravy anyone? Love that stuff. Or curry sauce
Goud ,yes!!! Best junk food there is! I had the same experience as Colin - fish & chips in the uk was shit. Capt . D's is better than that offal.
Posted: Nov 1, 2009 5:38 pm

I gotta go with Marmite too. I'm also a fan of fried eggs and baked beans.
Posted: Nov 1, 2009 10:09 pm

yeah yeah yeah, it's australia, but fucking awesome pies here http://www.lifestylefood.com.au/restaurants/yatala-pie-shop. any decent pies around memphis? colin, golightly?
Posted: Nov 2, 2009 12:51 am

your favorite english food? spotted dick.
Posted: Nov 2, 2009 4:33 pm

Not that I know of.
Posted: Nov 3, 2009 12:40 pm

Had a pizza from Sainsbury's. Pretty great.

Tea + biscuits (cookies) = rules it.
Posted: Nov 3, 2009 1:45 pm

Best fish 'n chips I ever had was on East Finchley Road, I later found out that was Margaret Thatcher's district, and indeed her favorite chipper as well. Yikes.
Posted: Nov 4, 2009 8:46 am

'The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain.'

That's how Thatcher talks, even when her face is stuffed with your favourite British food.
Posted: Nov 5, 2009 3:22 pm

Ice
Posted: Nov 6, 2009 12:26 pm

Hot pot in about 45mins. Maybe a Lancashire one.
Posted: Nov 8, 2009 4:15 pm

What about steak and kidney pie??

Anybody ever have that???
Posted: Nov 12, 2009 5:55 pm | Edited by: roche

Posted: Nov 13, 2009 11:07 pm

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®