Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Buttermilk biscuit reciepe
Posted: Oct 21, 2009 3:18 am

Please give me one you tried, not some bullshit you looked up on recipes .com. By the way I got time so don't give me a skimpy one.
Thank-you Thank-you Thank-you
goat
Posted: Oct 21, 2009 11:29 am

I think I have posted one on here before from the old Memphis Women's Exchange cookbook--they are great. You can mess around and add things to them like onions and cheese too.

If I can't locate it, I'll post it when I get home tonight.
Posted: Oct 21, 2009 11:31 am

One thing, make sure you make them in a cast iron skillet; it makes a difference.
Posted: Oct 21, 2009 12:22 pm | Edited by: Womb Raider

I have never made a biscuit that was worthy of serving to another person. Usually I make them and come out with an oven full of hockey pucks. Then I sit alone at the table in a darkened room, attempting to make them edible by putting a 1/4 stick of butter on each one.

I saw people making them on some TV show recently where the guy made the dough and rolled it out really thin, then proceeded to fold it over on itself a few times, forming a layered biscuit. Looked like a promising technique.
Posted: Oct 21, 2009 5:18 pm

Well, there are THOSE kinda biscuits and then what Marsh called "Cat Head Biscuits" which I apparently was making based on the recipe in the Women's Exchange cookbook from 1964. I had never made a biscuit before and this has been a failproof recipe. The "musts" include the aforementioned cast iron skillet, cutting the butter into SIFTED flour, salt, baking soda and powder just as it says and if you want (and you want, believe dat) adding stuff into the mix before baking like onions and cheddar or even diced pickled jalapenos.

"Hot Biscuits" from The Memphis Womens Exchange Cookbook

A Never Fail Recipe

2 c. flour
1/2 (either a T. or t., it wiped away long ago) salt
1/4 t. soda
2 t. baking powder
4 T. butter (they call for "shortening")
2/3 c. buttermilk

Sift dry ingredients. Cut in butter with 2 knives; use tips of fingers to mix lightly. Add buttermilk with a spoon, handling as little as possible. Bake in cast iron skillet (they say "greased pan") in 475 degree oven for 10-15 minutes. Yield: 16-24 small biscuits.

Now consider the following, the cast iron is for the "cat head biscuits" and these are big spoolfuls of the mixture dropped into the skillet and then baked. The kind in the recipe may be cut after the fact if you use the greased pan. There will be about 7-8 large biscuits my way. If you want all the stuff in them, add cut up onions and cheddar to the mix prior to baking or you can stuff each biscuit with as many pieces of cheddar as you'd like. The jalapenos are great too.
Posted: Oct 21, 2009 8:04 pm

I highly recommend the cast iron method. Add some manchengo cheese and mushrooms. Punch your ma in the mouth.
Posted: Oct 21, 2009 8:10 pm

Almost forgot- brush the tops with some bacon fat right before putting them in the oven. Be generous.
Posted: Oct 22, 2009 8:29 am

Thanks everyone Saturday is biscuit day or sunday,
ill report back
Posted: Oct 25, 2009 12:16 pm

made these today. killer. now i am properly anchored to watch football all day.
Posted: Nov 7, 2009 12:13 am

either a T. or t., it wiped away long ago
so, t, or T?
Posted: Nov 7, 2009 12:15 pm

I'm sure it is a t.
Posted: Nov 8, 2009 12:10 am

use self rising flour
work in copious amount of butter with pastry blender or fork (don''t let melt)
use buttermilk until dough is of correct consistency
bake at 450 until done
Posted: Nov 9, 2009 9:06 am

It's a dying art. It's either a hockey puck or a brittle shell w/ internal mush. Even the one's made by grandmother's at hunting camps. I blame it's demise on Reconstruction.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®