Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Any good food in West Memphis?
Posted: Sep 23, 2009 10:02 am

Im thinkin theres gotta be a good greasy spoon, perhaps BBQ place, somethin' worth goin over the bridge for...
Posted: Sep 23, 2009 2:25 pm

Well, supposedly P's & Q's is good, but I've heard mixed things. There is a BBQ place called Ray's at the Mound City Rd exit of 55 that has good reports also. In the hood, I think on 13th at Broadway, there is one called Williams BBQ. Then there is a new place, Roadside BBQ, in Proctor, right off the exit behind the gas station that people are talking about. It has a bunch of old tin signs on the outside.

There is also that wings spot that was on Andy Wise last week, the Chicken Coop.

As for greasy spoons, let me ask the black women I work with and get back to you on that. It'll likely be next week.
Posted: Sep 26, 2009 11:23 am

Panchos has a great looking bar and a nice "Tres Caballeros"/gringos imagining what Mexico must be like." Plus free cheese dip and it's on the site of the old Plantation Inn, where Memphis came to get rowdy in the 50s. Stop at the Walgreens on your way out to stock up on cheaper liquor and beer.
Posted: Sep 28, 2009 11:15 am

Panchos is a can't miss landmark. I miss the days of Spotts Drugstore's soda fountain/grill (hugest counter I've ever seen) and Wonder City Cafeteria. Also, bonus points for anyone who remembers Barfield's across from Friendship Field at West.

I've seen a few soul food spots on East Broadway, but some of them are either shut down or have weird hours. There is this intriguing drive up burger joint around Ingram Blvd on E. Broadway. Just look for a big sign with a cheeseburger on it, no words, just the burger. It was closed for months but I saw it was slammed last Wednesday afternoon.
Posted: Sep 28, 2009 12:06 pm

OK, the word in the office is

Ron's Family Affair
523 E. Broadway

Right next to Fred's.
Posted: Oct 2, 2009 1:48 pm

Ron's Family Affair is tasty. Ron has some connection to Kemmons Wilson (personal chef?) and is one of the nicest guys in the tri-state area.

Theze Bones on South 20th opened up about a year ago and it's also worth checking out.

Chicken Coop is consistently awesome. The blackened chicken sandwich there is the best I've ever had.

Pancho's is a glorious relic and I would be sad to ever see it go out of business. It was a staple of my childhood and has stayed strong down on East Broadway as more and more vacant real estate has grown around it.

As for Barfield's, I remember it well. The tough junior high kids always smoked and fought behind Barfield's. I bought lots of slush puppies and nerds there. I distinctly remember a cat walked freely around the store. I also think most of my elementary school rulers and other school supply freebies featured ads for Barfield's.
Posted: Oct 2, 2009 3:29 pm

Did you go to West, trip? If so, when?

Barfield's had one of the first cases of fresh, hot homecooked goodness I ever knew of and while I was certainly not in the smoking/fighting faction, Barfield's was the location for the nefariousness of our basketball coaches making us buy huge Pixie Stix and boxes of Jell-o to swallow whole prior to any game, home or away.
Posted: Oct 5, 2009 10:06 am

I didn't go to West, but all my friends did. I was homeschooled (hooray for social anxiety!) during the years I would have been at West, which would have been somewhere around 94 or so. I had a distance from West that was filled in with stories of the prettiest girls and best fights from all my buddies.

My grandparents lived off Avalon near Barfield's, so I would walk there any chance I got. We played mud football at the practice field next to Friendship Field (still the greatest/weakest name for a football field ever) regularly.
Posted: Oct 5, 2009 10:14 am

I was there many years before you would have been--early 80's! But yes, we had the prettiest (as well as the bitchiest) girls, the best sports and some regular fights that went on after lunch in that little side area on Avalon with the driveway and benches. Those benches were prime real estate to watch a good fight!

I love that they still have the Friendship Field sign up; I'm sure that the Wonder Jr HS team knows better than that sentiment.
Posted: Oct 5, 2009 9:13 pm

I haven't been in forever, but is Earl's Hot Biscuits still around?
Posted: Oct 5, 2009 10:34 pm

no.
Posted: Oct 6, 2009 1:15 pm

Another depressing loss for WM. Does not bode well for the WM3 appeals process going on right now. The Cupboard is in the Holiday Inn next door to where Earl's used to be...or is that Holiday Inn where Earl's used to be?
Posted: Oct 6, 2009 2:22 pm

They were originally going to open the Cupboard in the old Earl's building, but shortly before they were supposed to move in, there was a still-unsolved arson that burned most of the building to the ground. They eventually leveled the rest of the building for additional Holiday Inn parking.

For a brief time, the old Earl's Hot Biscuits building was being used for some lingerie/etc. type shop. It went through another incarnation or two before eventually being burned down. I miss Earl's.
Posted: Oct 6, 2009 5:04 pm

I stopped at a couple of BBQ places in West Memphis when I did the Gonerfest 5 issue of Inhuman Eating Machine.
Posted: Oct 6, 2009 8:23 pm

I was hoping you had hit up that Williams BBQ joint, hugh jass. Have you tried that one trip? I believe it is on 13th near Broadway.
Posted: Oct 6, 2009 10:48 pm | Edited by: trip

Unfortunately, Williams has evaded my grasp so far. I have been by Williams hundreds of times (they have a Piggly Wiggly style pig logo). I have it on good authority that it's by far the best of the WM bunch (Ps&Qs, Ray's, Willie Mae's). One of my coworkers can't say enough good things about it. I plan to eat there in the next week or two.
Posted: Oct 7, 2009 8:03 pm

earl's hot biscuits! oh i miss that place. i used to go there with my dad for breakfast every now and again. they had great food. i kinda miss granny's front porch although as time went on, the food got crappier.

that cupboard that is in the holiday inn sucks. i have not had one single good experience there. they have a different menu (pizza?!) from the one in midtown and i'm just not a fan of it.

now, if you don't mind the short drive on over to marion, check out big john's shake shack. they have plate lunches if you catch them early enough and of course, a tasty burger and good shakes. plus they have some decent pie as well.

i haven't been to william's, but i do like willie mae's over there in the WM. i need to try it since i work over the bridge twice a week.

now there is a place over on broadway that is called the kreme kup, i do believe. they have a ribeye steak sandwich that is pretty tasty and also a pork chop sandwich that i like as well.
Posted: Oct 7, 2009 10:05 pm

check out big john's shake shack

Yes. It's yummy. We took the kids on the way out of town this summer.
Posted: Oct 8, 2009 9:19 am

I will not go back to Big John's for awhile because while their shakes killed for months, about two months I almost was killed by one of them, literally!

That shit was ROTTEN. I couldn't really tell as there was a lot of malt in it, but I got sick as hell. The milk looked weird when she poured it into the shaker, like it already had malt in it. I remembered later that the milk jug had just been sitting on the counter, open, before she used it. This was later in the afternoon when it wasn't busy enough to justify that, if you ever can.

I'll give it another chance, but it will take awhile longer.
Posted: Nov 10, 2009 1:25 pm | Edited by: saispas

Confirmation of deliciousness: Just ate at Roadside Bar-B-Que in Lehi near Hwy 70 off I-40. Got a chopped pork sandwich with their spicy sauce & coleslaw. Totally tender pork. They also have homemade tamales. Worth the drive. The owner is some formerly great Razorback football player.
Posted: Nov 10, 2009 1:28 pm

Oh yeah, when I walked in, "Shackles" was blasting on some old jambox they have for the music...awesome.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®