Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Clontarf Irish Whiskey
Posted: Aug 29, 2009 10:53 pm

Smooth shit. The cheaper shit tastes like Jim Beam. The higher end shit, is extremely smooth though it looks like piss, but is easy on the GI track. Still had the tachycardia and the paranoia, but no vomiting and diarrhea. Smoother than an altar boy\'s ass.... Recommended...
Posted: Aug 31, 2009 11:52 am

it's no Powers and it ain't much cheaper either
Posted: Sep 29, 2009 7:10 pm

BevMo has been having specials on Tullamore Dew 1.75 bottles. It's waaay cheaper than Bushmills or Jameson.

a little sweeter tho.
Posted: Oct 22, 2009 2:00 pm

I got a bottle of "Irish Manor" at the leftovers store. The label is hilarious but recommends use in Irish Coffee.

Jameson on the rocks rules!
Posted: Oct 22, 2009 8:02 pm

I've been into Bourbons lately.I got some Buffalo Trace and Johnny Drum, 90 and 86 proof respectively. My liver still ain't talking to me. Had a bottle of Old Crow a couple of weeks ago and it tasted like water to me.
Posted: Oct 26, 2009 12:12 pm

Jim Beam Black was on sale so I picked up a bottle. I like the 86 proof, relief from the 100 proof Knob Creek...
Posted: Oct 29, 2009 6:09 pm

Now I have a bottle of Old Whiskey River. A Kentucky Bourbon that's endorsed by Willie Nelson. It even came with a Willie Nelson guitar pick. To chase it I've got some Kronenbourgs.

The finish is great. I like the way it sneaks back up on you. A smooth mellow whiskey.
Posted: Oct 30, 2009 11:50 am

smooth mellow

like Willie!
does it bring a bag of weed too?
Posted: Oct 30, 2009 3:46 pm

Nope. Sold separately. Along with magic mushrooms.
Posted: Nov 19, 2009 12:50 pm

Midleton's is the smoothest Irish whiskey I have ever had the fortunate opportunity to grace my lips, but at over $100 a fifth, it ain't all that smooth. Therefore, I will continue to drink Black Bush by the gallon. At $40 a fifth, it's much easier to justify. Ask for it by name "Tina Turner" and if you want a double its a "Tina n Aretha".

There is no such thing as bad irish whiskey, but Connemara comes close.
Posted: Nov 23, 2009 9:56 pm

Check out Red Breast Irish Whiskey. You will not be disappointed. expensive but not crazy. and amazing
Posted: Nov 28, 2009 1:03 pm

I got a bottle of some fuckin' Feckin Irish wiskey for this wknd. Really really really smoothe. Like I could drink an entire 750 within an half hour and wind up in the hospital with a stomach pump smoothe.
Posted: Dec 1, 2009 12:30 am

Glenfiddich 12 year scotch is great and a 750ml is around $40.00.
Clontarf sounds like something from coneheads.
Posted: Dec 1, 2009 2:58 pm

Just ordered some Red Breast off Bevmo. I am sure the girlfriend is gonna love when that shows up. Means daddy is gonna be a wreck.
Posted: Dec 1, 2009 5:51 pm

Glenfiddich 12 year scotch

dude, we are talking whiskey here. take that stinky peat stuff back to the moors or feed it to Sean Connery.

i had to settle for a Bushmills gift set, just to get the free glasses (verrry handsome, too). the Jamesons gift set was sold out!
Posted: Dec 3, 2009 12:53 pm

Today it's Jim Beam. I've been keeping an eye out for Red Breast. I'd mail order it, but I live in a whack state with a bunch of uptight Scandahoovians who think Blue Laws are a good idea.

I saw some rare Kentucky Whiskeys aged 19 years at Surdyk's. One was 134 proof, another was 141 proof but they were like 100$ each. If I ever strike it rich, I'm buying some just to have around, but not to celebrate. I'd have them in case I feel I have a throat infection coming on. Nothing could live through that...
Posted: Dec 7, 2009 3:50 pm

...yeah, that Jim Beam is some good IRISH Whiskey....
Posted: Dec 11, 2009 9:21 pm

Kentucky, Ireland, same diff
Posted: Dec 11, 2009 10:07 pm

I bought a bottle of Jameson the other day and I don't know what the deal is but it tastes horrible. I mean, not so horrible that I won't drink it, but it definitely doesn't taste like the jameson I'm used to drinking.. Tastes like Canadian Mist. Could it be a bad barrel or something?
Posted: Dec 13, 2009 12:25 am

I drank a large quantity of Jameson last night and ripped horrendous ass in my meeting this morning. At this point it seems like whatever evil workings were loosed from my bowels onto my unsuspecting coworkers and superiors may cost me that promotion I'm up for in January. The district manager vocalized her disgust, people are usually too polite to do so in these situations. I believe Jameson to be the main cause of the lovecraftian unholiness currently residing within my gastrointestinal tract, I should have shelled out for some Kilbeggan.
Posted: Dec 20, 2009 3:49 pm

I drank a large quantity of Jameson last night and ripped horrendous ass in my meeting this morning

Was it those gastric juices fart? Cuz I found one way to ameliorate those is by drinking a 8oz glass of warm water with a tablespoon of baking soda mixed in. It's pretty cool too 'cuz you can still cut really loud farts but they don't smell so bad.
Posted: Dec 21, 2009 10:25 am

Was it those gastric juices fart? Cuz I found one way to ameliorate those is by drinking a 8oz glass of warm water with a tablespoon of baking soda mixed in. It's pretty cool too 'cuz you can still cut really loud farts but they don't smell so bad.
This is the best thing I've heard in a month, this is the type of stuff mr. wizard should have taught us. I plan on besotting myself on tallboys and bourbon at punk bowling tonight so I'll have to give it a try tomorrow. I'm going to eat some gas station food before I get stinko for good measure.
Posted: Dec 21, 2009 2:42 pm

I would advise against trying it if you have high blood pressure.

Also the 8oz/1TBsp ratio was a recommendation for the average body type. You may want to titrate up or down depending on your body type.
Posted: Dec 21, 2009 10:56 pm

Tonight, I'm ushering in Olde Man Winter with the usual Jim Beam and a 6 pack of Miller High Life.
Posted: Dec 22, 2009 3:39 pm

Powers on sale at Bev Mo this week! It's "gold label".

I've never got gas from drinking. it had to be whatever you et.
Posted: Dec 22, 2009 10:45 pm

I've never got gas from drinking.

Not even beer farts? I don't really get gaseous from whiskey unless I cold forget to eat. Then I get those stomach bile farts which I neutralize with the ol' baking soda.
Posted: Dec 25, 2009 1:20 pm

Had a shot of Jamesons at the pub yesterday (with some pints of Guiness). Very nice. I think I'm gonna try all the Irish Whiskeys on the shelf shot by shot. Will report back.
Posted: Jan 10, 2010 3:45 am | Edited by: Thee Gilded Chimera

Someone I know works at a liquor store, so I get a 15% break in price. Not only that, I can circumvent whack Mn. state laws and have them order me hard-to-find beer, wine and spirits. Consequently, I've got a fucking whiskey buffet going on at my apt. Now I have in my possession exactly FIVE different whiskeys. We've got...

1. Red Breast--Started with this one tonight. Really good. Distinct smooth flavour like no other Irish whiskey I've sampled. Thank you Goner Board for the rec.

2. Clontarf--The cheaper version. Really good. Tried to get the better stuff, but it was a no go.

3. Old Rip Van Winkle--From Kentucky. 107 proof so I better make sure I got somebody nearby in case I have to go to the e.r.

4. Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage Bourbon--Also from Kentucky. We'll see what happens.

5. Georgia Moon Corn Whiskey--We'll see what happens.
Posted: Jan 11, 2010 4:37 pm

May I suggest Beam Rye, and grain Canadian as well?

if you're going Bourbon, the gold standard for overproof would have to be Knob Creek.
Posted: Jan 23, 2010 4:33 am | Edited by: Thee Gilded Chimera

4. Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage Bourbon

Me and my neighbor finished this one off tonight. Really good whiskey. I actually made my neighbor thee "custodian of whiskey", cuz I figure it's just better if I don't have a whole bunch of booze around my hovel. I'll attempt to drink 'em all in the same session. Drank the bottle of scarlet tit a couple of weeks ago. It had a weird buttery undertaste that I liked. Good stuff...
Posted: Jan 24, 2010 1:21 am

Georgia Moon Corn Whiskey--We'll see what happens.
i drank half a jar of that one night. very easy to drink.
Posted: Feb 4, 2010 12:04 pm

Finian's Five Provinces appeared on the BevMo shelf. It's blended so has that oaky taste. Apparently made just for the USA market.

Those five provinces? Connachta, Lagin, Mide, Mumu, and Ulaid.
Posted: Feb 24, 2010 12:28 pm

St. Paddy's Day coming up, and you know what that means. Irish Whiskey specials! whoo-hoo
Posted: Feb 25, 2010 10:58 am

I bought some Rogue Dead Man's whisky which is "Ocean distilled". Haven't tried it yet. I've been nursing the Ol' Rip Van Winkle lately.
Posted: Mar 1, 2010 7:46 am

Hey Thee Gilded Chimera, you live in minneapolis right? Are you the guy from the real numbers? Do you have a band? I've got a slot at the Turf Club I'm looking to fill, e-mail me, ok? -ponyskirt@gmail.com
It'd be cool to actually meet you.
Posted: Mar 1, 2010 8:27 am

Right on. My computer took a crap on me, so I gotta use the library's for now or the ones at work. I ain't in a band. I can't figure out how to play gits... Rogue Whiskey tastes a lot like scotch to me. Ol' Rip Van Winkle is really good stuff. Finished that off last night.
Posted: Mar 1, 2010 3:00 pm

I'll email you sometime later on this week. I got next weekend off. I don't know of anything going on.
Posted: Mar 1, 2010 5:58 pm

Yeah, email me, we'll get beers
Posted: Mar 11, 2010 1:48 pm

Irish has spoiled me.

Can no longer tolerate McKenna bourbon.
Posted: Mar 16, 2010 1:04 pm

St. Paddy's Day bump!

Who's gonna get drunk???
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 1:16 pm

I'm a little tight money wise otherwise I would be.
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 4:38 pm

Not gonna get drunk. Just 42 oz of beer - 20oz of Smithwicks, 22oz of Spring Reign
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 6:40 pm

We will be featuring a special St. Patrick's Day Menu, in addition to our regular menu, for dinner on Wednesday, March 17th.

Oysters on the Half Shell
Guinness Caviar

Lobster "Dublin Lawyer"
Potato, Spinach, and Whiskey Cream Sauce

Black and White Bread Pudding
Irish Cream Crème Anglaise

A whiskey flight will also be available this evening with three special Irish whiskeys being poured.

Special Menu price is $75
Posted: Mar 18, 2010 8:24 pm

3. Old Rip Van Winkle

my favorite, like drinking a lit match. awesome. the 20yr is the shit.
Posted: Jun 2, 2010 12:08 pm

I had some "Kentucky Whiskey" last night at the wage slave drone bar. Is that bourbon? It kinda tasted like that but if it don't say bourbon, it ain't bourbon, right?
Posted: Jun 2, 2010 12:14 pm

small technicality.

Bourbon is aged in new oak barrels. Kentucky Whiskey distillers re-use the barrels.
Posted: Jun 7, 2010 7:13 pm

Is that bourbon?

the water HAS to come from the creek that runs through bardstown/elizabethtown to legally be called bourbon.
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 2:17 am

I drank a whole bunch of 4 Roses bourbon tonight..
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 4:16 pm

4 Roses bourbon always reminds me of Jeffrey Lee Pierce b/c of his cover of "Days of Wine & Roses"
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®