Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Las Tortugas--Andy Wise gotcha!
Posted: Aug 28, 2009 8:38 am | Edited by: saispas

CLEAN UP!

Check out Jose's typical excuse for the score:

By Andy Wise - bio | email | Twitter | Facebook

MEMPHIS, TN (WMC-TV) - His restaurant's track record of health inspection scores doesn't match Jose Magallanes' latest grade.

Las Tortugas Deli Mexicana, 1215 Germantown Parkway S., rated a 69 on its Aug. 13 inspection.

The inspector's report cites:

"fruit flies in the prep (area)"

The inspector "observed employee wash hands in the 3 cmp. sink," which is for washing dishes

"temp of fish fillet sitting out 74 degrees...discard"

Deli Mexicana's health inspection history looks like a straight-A student's report card: 90, 96, 98. A low 80 score here and there.

Very few low scores.

Magallanes said the critical violations in his latest inspection came smack in the middle of a lunch rush. He said the fish, for example, was sitting out because a cook was preparing it for grilling.

"It was about 1:15 on a very busy day, and of course, we do real cooking here. It's a totally different thing from just assembling food," he said. "The history of our restaurant, it's in the 90's, and unfortunately, we got a bad moment when they caught us off-guard, so to speak, doing all the work, taking care of so many people."

His place appeared clean, and the food looked fresh when the Action News 5 Investigators inspected it. In fact, the health inspector revised Deli Mexicana's score to an 83 after Magallanes contested a few of the violations.
Posted: Aug 28, 2009 12:53 pm | Edited by: Rumpleforeskin

We were there at the same time as the inspector-it WAS extremely crowded that day. We almost had to go outside to eat but a table cleared out and we practically dived on it. Food was superb but it was $40 for two orders of tacos, an order of guacamole and two limeades. As far as I could see ,that place was spotless..
Posted: Aug 28, 2009 3:15 pm

Health Inspectors are dicks.

A friend of mine worked at a burger place a few years back when an inspector came in during the peak of lunch rush. The inspector cited them for an open container of food on the counter. Well, it was out and open only because he had just used it on an order.

The inspector didn't take it off though.
Posted: Sep 2, 2009 11:32 am | Edited by: saispas

Food was superb but it was $40 for two orders of tacos, an order of guacamole and two limeades. As far as I could see ,that place was spotless.

Ouch. Unacceptable. More offensive than anything Jose has ever said. I have never hated the food, but I can get (dare I say it?) better tacos, better guac and maybe a limeade for way less in a couple of places closer into town.

I do like their aqua frescas though.
Posted: Sep 3, 2009 1:49 pm

but I can get (dare I say it?) better tacos, better guac

No. face it, best place in town for fish tacos and guac.

health inspectors and grades are pretty pointless though...shit, there are restautants all over europe that kick the shit outta 'merican ones that would prolly get a 15 in an american health inspection...shit, most kitchens in our houses that we eat in everyday would flunk a health inspection. Unless a place gets cited for rat turds in the salad or some other heinous oversite, I am not swayed by the scores.
Posted: Sep 4, 2009 10:06 am

Gotta disagree on the guac. Especially since mine (and I'm sure many others on this board) at home is easily as good or better than Las Tortugas--it is GUAC, man! Theirs is good, don't get me wrong, but a dinky serving for way too much dinero when you can just buy whatever you need at some market and whip the same thing up in minutes.

Yeah, their fish tacos are good. Unfortunately, I don't prefer that for a taco; I like carnitas the best and well, Las Torugas isn't bad, but I prefer the carnitas at Mayas.
Posted: Sep 7, 2009 2:16 am

Whatever. I fucking love Las Tortugas. Just wish they'd expand already since it's so crowded in there. Was told they got clearance from the city, but then the economy tanked, so they're holding out until things improve.
Posted: Sep 7, 2009 11:18 am

Hey, there is room enough for all preferences at this point in Memphis and we should thank the Mayan gods for that. I just happen to be more than a bit annoyed by his whole "thing" and yeah, the atmosphere of a TCBY is a bit off-putting.

Still, I'd go. If someone else orders the food. And drives.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®