Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Home grown tomatoes
Posted: Aug 16, 2009 4:32 pm

Whooooo, my tomatoes are coming on strong!

Cherokee Purples are almost there, just a day or two till the first ones are ripe.

Juliettes ..... more than I know what to do with. Made a great spread with roasted Juliettes, garlic, sweet spring onions, olive oil, s&p roasted till carmelized and coarsely mashed with a potato masher

Grapette ... super sweet and big yield so far

Carbon ... slowpoke but tons of green fruit

Principe Borghese ... great for drying no good otherwise. Dried some successfully in the oven at 200 for about six hours. Great flavor!

Persimmon Orange ... Very good flavor from the first one and loads more on the vine

Sungold ... bet taste of em all so far. Big tomato flavor in a tiny orange
package

Langley's Silver Tiger ... thick skin , but huge spicy flavor. A winner.

I have turned into a total tomato nerd.
Posted: Aug 17, 2009 7:52 am

You make me very jealous! Your garden sounds like a dream come true!!
Posted: Aug 17, 2009 8:46 am

My tomato garden has turned into a fucking vietnam jungle. I can't believe I was worried these plants would never take. They're over five feet tall now and spilling out every side of their beds. Got multiples of about 8 different heirlooms and most exciting, my own weirdo cross-polenated hybrids that are volunteers from last year. 43 plants in all. I be eatin good all winter long.
Posted: Aug 17, 2009 10:34 am

Man, I'm jealous. Growing tomatoes down here is tricky, you have to get them going really early so they don't just burn up.

I really want a tomato sandwich on some fresh bread right now.
Posted: Aug 17, 2009 12:13 pm

I have turned into a total tomato nerd.

save some seeds and we can trade for next year. as gay as that sounds.
Posted: Aug 17, 2009 2:37 pm

Growing tomatoes down here is tricky, you have to get them going really early so they don't just burn up.
Likewise! As it if wasn't hard enough to sip lemonade and watch my man dig holes and crucify hornworms, the sun is so brutal that all the hard work produced about 4 tomatoes in May and then the plants keeled over and died.
Posted: Aug 18, 2009 12:40 am

as gay as that sounds.
what's gay about trading seed?
Posted: Aug 20, 2009 6:16 pm

what's gay about trading seed?
depends on where his seed ends up
Posted: Aug 20, 2009 7:45 pm

Ate the first Cherokee Purple last night, and DAMN was it good!
Posted: Aug 23, 2009 2:17 pm

ripley tomatoes, anyone?
Posted: Aug 24, 2009 4:53 pm

I ate so many Ripley tomatos a few weeks ago...They were fantastic.
Sliced, with basil from my garden and fresh mozzarella with olive oil and black pepper...and a baguette...and red wine....lots of red wine.
Posted: Aug 24, 2009 9:16 pm

ripley maters are THE best
Posted: Aug 24, 2009 9:17 pm

I ate so many Ripley tomatos a few weeks ago...They were fantastic.
Sliced, with basil from my garden and fresh mozzarella with olive oil and black pepper...and a baguette...and red wine....lots of red wine.

droooooooooool. I had salad at the Beauty Shop once that was this very combination. One of the best things I have ever eaten. Shaggy rules.
Posted: Aug 25, 2009 8:16 am

droooooooooool. I had salad at the Beauty Shop once that was this very combination. One of the best things I have ever eaten. Shaggy rules.

My basil is kicking ass this summer...I'm gonna miss it this winter...the Ripley tomatos at the Agricenter farmer's market are ten times better than Schnuck's Ripley Tomatos...I think Schnuck's is pulling a fast one.
Posted: Aug 25, 2009 11:41 am

my basil's been great all summer, but i haven't gotten ONE SINGLE tomato out of my plant. not ONE.

i haven't been impressed with the looks of the ripleys in kroger & schnuck's, so i think i may go hit the ag center on my lunch break one day this week & pick some good ones up.
Posted: Aug 25, 2009 2:23 pm

I think they are trying to pass Arkansas tomatos off as Ripleys..........good god...what is wrong with me...I need help.......
Posted: Aug 31, 2009 1:56 am

I think Schnuck's is pulling a fast one
i worked at easy way as a teenager and they always had good ripley "homegrown" toms...at least they always looked/tasted like the ones my g-ma used to bring home from up there.
Posted: Aug 31, 2009 11:54 am

trying to pass Arkansas tomatos off as Ripleys

good lord, what's next?
we need to crash some town hall meetings about this
Posted: Aug 31, 2009 9:51 pm

when i was buyin tom and peaches @ the agricenter bak in the day i watched them unload all of their tom off of a truck from Florida..seems that they grow ripley's there too..quite dissapointed to say the least..at the rest i planted over 70 varietals of heirlooms...then we got what is called late blight.destroying the crops.beside that there was a wounded deer that kept eating all of our green tomatoes...whatcha gonna do? no idea how farmers deal with all that shit
Posted: Sep 1, 2009 2:53 am

guns
Posted: Sep 1, 2009 7:49 pm

So, these awsome "Ripley Tomatoes" are just plain ol' tomatoes grown in Ripley, TN?

What makes aem so awesome? The soil, the variety? I don't get it.
Posted: Sep 2, 2009 2:50 am

The soil, the variety?
most likely
Posted: Sep 2, 2009 9:39 am

Ripleys taste like the tomatos I used to eat when I was a kid...hothouse tomatos taste like tasteless water balls with seeds
Posted: Sep 2, 2009 8:45 pm

Ripleys taste like the tomatos I used to eat when I was a kid...hothouse tomatos taste like tasteless water balls with seeds

Grow yer own.
Posted: Sep 10, 2009 7:28 pm

Persimmon Orange - Fucking delicious!
Posted: Sep 12, 2009 5:14 pm

Pulled in a bunch of volunteers today. Three bags into the deep freezer for winter eating.

A couple of Nebraska Weddings look just about ready, the size of canteloupes. San Marzano's look awesome, just need a few more days of sunshine.

Meanwhile, found this recipe for green tomato soup with bacon and creme fraish...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/16/dining/161arex.html?ref=dining
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®