Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Belgian Beer sucks
Posted: Jul 27, 2009 11:50 am

I bought a six pack of Abbey Ale "on sale". wanted a break from the lager.
that shit is too damn sweet. what's the big fuss?
It rivals OLDE ENGLISH

next time, I'm breaking up the lager with Negra Modelo
Posted: Jul 27, 2009 12:54 pm

I have to be in the mood for the Belgian. Never had Abbey, but a lot of that Belgian stuff has some gnarly banana tannins that turn me off.
Posted: Jul 27, 2009 4:41 pm

man there are bunchas of belgian beers that are top shelf...among the more common ones that you can cop in the US, a few white-label Duvels will set you right, and a few icy-cold Hoegaardens with a twist of lemon is a mighty fine time...

Before you were not allowed to bring liquids on your carryon, I brought back a bunch of nice beers when I visited Belgium...

but, yeah, a lot of Trappist ales have a sweet, carbonated bourbon thing about 'em...
Posted: Jul 27, 2009 5:30 pm | Edited by: Womb Raider

$4 pints of hoegaarden approx 150 feet from my doorstep is about my favorite thing ever on a hot day.

Chimay, Duvel, etc. though.. yeah, I gotta be in the mood.

Stella ain't bad either.
Posted: Jul 27, 2009 5:46 pm

I think the legend goes, if you drink 3 Hoegaardens a day, and you drink each one in only three gulps, you will live to be 99
Posted: Jul 27, 2009 6:43 pm

banana tannins

is this a thing?
Posted: Jul 27, 2009 7:03 pm

banana tannins

is this a thing

yeah, it's got a certain a"peel"
Posted: Jul 28, 2009 12:58 pm

Stella is my favorite beer. That's from Belgia, right?
Posted: Jul 28, 2009 2:24 pm

banana tannins
is this a thing?

Tannin is tasted at the back of the tongue and tastes bitter like a strong cup of tea that makes your mouth fur up. It also has the sensation of an under ripe or green banana.

Mix that with some banana esters and it's a pretty gnarly sensation.

Them monks have been keeping yeast cultures they like alive for a few centuries and then they let stray shit blow in the windows. It's an acquired taste. There are also mass produced beers which try to imitate the flavor the monks get goin on.
Posted: Jul 28, 2009 7:25 pm

Tannin is tasted at the back of the tongue and tastes bitter
no doubt...the sign of a bad brew...hate that shit.
On a somewhat related note, give the Gose a try...a sour beer w/ salt and
coriander..pretty light and damn good...I was hooked on it all last summer.
A litte tough to fine, in a few select stores here in NC:

Leipziger Gose
Posted: Sep 17, 2009 1:30 pm

I'll never forget many many years ago sitting on a beach in the Netherlands enjoying my first Hoegaarden with some locals I had met when some dude, butt-naked, cruises casually down the beach on a bicycle. Thinking to myself, "That can't be comfortable and I sure hope he cleans that seat often."
Posted: Sep 17, 2009 5:44 pm

Just had a Stella. Tasty.Gonna have a pint or two at the pub tomorrow for lunch and maybe try a Hoegaarden too. Belgia rules!
Posted: Sep 17, 2009 6:21 pm

all the yuppies are drinking Stella now
Posted: Sep 18, 2009 12:29 am | Edited by: dale

There's a lot of weird things that can be weird about the Belgium beers. The American takes on them can be even weirder. Like Victory's Golden Monkey or Dragonmead's Final Absolution. Their good for one or two but that banana (and the sometimes over the top clove like spices) can be a little too much esp when it comes to Tripels and Abbeys.

A cold Hoegaarden on a summer day is always excellent. Witbier is always good for that.

Stella is boring.
Posted: Sep 18, 2009 4:06 pm

You're boring, Dale.
Posted: Sep 22, 2009 2:46 pm

Stella is the training wheels of Belgians.

There's a huge difference in the Trappist beers and the other Belgians. Can't compare a Chimay Bleue with a Stella. It's like comparing a Ferrari with a Fiat. Both from the same country but a league apart.

And yeah, a cold Hoegaarden on a summer day is perfect.
Posted: Sep 22, 2009 4:02 pm

Gonna try that Hoegaarden on Friday. I hope it's hot out.
Posted: Sep 22, 2009 5:31 pm

Stella is boring.

naw man. its good. its just beer beer.
Posted: Sep 23, 2009 3:37 am

I had a beer called Dutchess de Borgnonge (sp) recently. Super vineagery but it'll get you fucked up. Pairs well with french fries or baked potatoes.
Posted: Sep 23, 2009 5:59 am | Edited by: Jack Stands

Busch rules.

a few white-label Duvels will set you right
For the starbucks crowd that needs their foam to taste lik whipped cream and like their stuff to taste "expensive".

with a twist of lemon
If you have to add something to your beer, something is wrong. Bud Ice is the new li-mon, brah. Otherwise buy some zima.

Stella is my favorite beer.
Is it sweet? Like yeungling (I call it boooor-ing these days; drink sangria. probably cheaper, just as candy sweet, with less of a hangover).

Some dudes swear by the "High-life" Millers. Also too sweet and stupid.

People who buy "sweet" beers remind me of "Wine-cooler" people.
Posted: Sep 23, 2009 8:42 am

No, Stella isn't sweet. That's why I stopped drinking Yueng Ling too. Stella's just a nice tasting beer that doesn't give me a hangover. Try it. (I've never had a wine cooler.)
Posted: Sep 23, 2009 9:51 am | Edited by: Vinyl Ritchie

with a twist of lemon
If you have to add something to your beer, something is wrong. Bud Ice is the new li-mon, brah. Otherwise buy some zima.

dude, Belgian Wheat beer it is supposed to have it...when ya get it on tap in Belgium they give you this masher thingy to mash up the lemon slice at the bottom of the glass...hundreds of years they have been doing this. But I supoose you are more of a man than me and the Flemmish Knights that killed their enemies with hammers.

a few white-label Duvels will set you right
For the starbucks crowd that needs their foam to taste lik whipped cream and like their stuff to taste "expensive".

and the 10% alcohol...wow, you really like the finer things in life dontcha?
I like Busch, I aint a snob...but, shit dude, there is more to life than cheap corn beer, macrame and dead bootlegs...
Posted: Sep 23, 2009 2:05 pm

doesn't give me a hangover

yuppies are always like that. anything to avoid a hangover.
if you can't drink, DON'T!
Posted: Sep 23, 2009 11:35 pm

This is the beer I'm anticipating:

Nugg E. Fresh is a crisp refreshing red ale made with with 200 lbs of fresh nugget hops from Sod Buster Farms in Keizer, OR. These hops were only 1 hour off the vine to the kettle. There is a delicate ...fresh hop aroma with... a solid malt backbone finish. 5.8% abv, 35 IBU. On tap tomorrow at the Bier Stein!

The Bier Stein is many miles away, but a couple of kegs of Nugg E. Fresh are supposed to be coming up this way soon!
Posted: Sep 24, 2009 7:23 pm

Leffe and Westmalle are also both really good, but I couldn't drink them all the time. I do like that belgian people seem to drink all day long, like on their lunch breaks at work and such, people in the states really seem to look down on that sort of thing.
Posted: Sep 25, 2009 12:31 am

naw man. its good. its just beer beer.

Maybe that's it. It seems a lot of insurance and mortgage agents drink it thinking it's some crazy special secret beer only they know about not paying attention to the fact that it can be found in even ghetto type stores (owned by InBev/AB anyone?). It's just a lager. Nothing special and nothing to brag about (unless you a lame ass yuppie wannabe prick insurance or mortgage agent..or Rich Riggler). Might as well be drinking a Heineken.
Posted: Sep 25, 2009 12:33 am

Posted: Sep 27, 2009 1:56 pm

Tried one of them Hoegaardens yesterday. It tasted like Fresca. I took one sip and had the bartender dump it. Then I had a couple Stellas. (Dale's taste in beer is as bad as his taste in music. )
Posted: Sep 28, 2009 12:09 pm

ried one of them Hoegaardens yesterday. It tasted like Fresca.

Then the bar you were at doesn't clean it's beer lines very often...
Posted: Sep 28, 2009 2:21 pm

Their beer lines are immaculate. You just think crummy beer tastes good.
Posted: Sep 28, 2009 2:44 pm

You sound like you have the palate of bitter old boring lame-o.

Keep drinkin the beer of choice of European homeless people and Ill stay drinkin the Hoe's.
Posted: Sep 28, 2009 6:38 pm

I don't mind Stella. Been a few years since I've had one though. Doubt if I could discern the difference between Stella and Bud Select in a blind test.

Gonna finally get around to trying Full Sail's Grandsun of Spot IPA today. It's gotten mixed reviews, but I'm keeping an open mind:

This year Grandsun of Spot is brewed with Columbus and Zeus Hops as well as Munich and Honey Malts and is said to be an "aggressive IPA" with "a full malt flavor".
Posted: Sep 28, 2009 10:52 pm

(Dale's taste in beer is as bad as his taste in music. )

Actually my taste in beer is awesome. Your the one thinking you're drinking something good when it's just generic bullshit (and at least the beer I drink is made in America...Keep people here working...)
Posted: Sep 29, 2009 12:59 am

dale, i hung out with a homebrewer here the other night who poured me an american lager that was one of the most delicious thing i've ever put in my face. he was a native michiganer. you should be proud of your states beer heritage and the folks who keep trying to make awesome beers. i think every beer i drink from now on will be compared to this guys stuff.
Posted: Sep 29, 2009 2:32 am

I'm starting to apprentice for a start up brewery here. There's a lot of work that goes into making a great beer. I'm also picking up some freelance $ writing about beer and have been nominated to be a judge at the Michigan winter beer fest (though I don't think I'll make the cut this year cuz it's my first year to be nominated, there's a huge vetting process and no one ever gets the honor their first year of nomination) so yeah-Ned's right-I probably don't know shit. He just likes average beer (Richie's take is right on...that and the binge drinking douches of the UK love Stella too)-more power to him. A lot of people think McDonald's makes an awesome cheeseburger.
Posted: Oct 3, 2009 7:15 pm

A cold Hoegaarden
found a couple of these last night. pretty tasty
Posted: Oct 4, 2009 12:14 pm

Figures.
Posted: Oct 5, 2009 8:53 pm | Edited by: dale

There's some really good American made witbiers that can make you almost forget about Hoegaarden (just saying). We should all take our beer advice from Action Man though (because he obviously hates supporting American owned companies and likes to pay the same price to drink average foreign lagers).
Posted: Oct 5, 2009 8:56 pm | Edited by: dale

The best part though is that the Stella sold in the US isn't even brewed in Belgium BUT the UK. Ned why do you hate supporting American businesses?
Posted: Oct 6, 2009 11:42 am

This is all about the fact that you're mad that you don't know who your real father is, isn't Dale?
Posted: Oct 6, 2009 1:04 pm

Stella's more expensive than Full Sail or Deschuttes at the Freddy's by me.

If it makes you feel fancy, drink yer Stella, though. I with Full Sail had a year-round lager, or hell, even bring back their pilsner.
Posted: Oct 6, 2009 6:10 pm | Edited by: dale

Old story Ned. It was all straightened out. Hey, I'll be in NYC soon. You can tell me how much of a shit talking tough guy you are to my face then.

So tell us why you hate America to the point so much Ned that you pay more for an average Belgium made lager than you would for really good one made in this country.
Posted: Oct 6, 2009 6:20 pm

Old Stock Ale

Had a few of those this weekend...made me completely goofy
and pleased.

recommended!
Posted: Oct 7, 2009 8:46 am

Hey, I'll be in NYC soon. You can tell me how much of a !@#$ talking tough guy you are to my face then.

You seriously need psychological help.
Posted: Oct 7, 2009 9:57 am

now look what you gone and done dale. he's got stella running down his leg.
Posted: Oct 7, 2009 10:23 pm | Edited by: dale

Hey, I'll be in NYC soon. You can tell me how much of a !@#$ talking tough guy you are to my face then.

You seriously need psychological help.

And you're a shit talking pussy bitter old man. Nothing more.
Posted: Oct 8, 2009 10:13 am

What are you?
Posted: Oct 8, 2009 4:52 pm

OK, I take it back. We went to this Belgian "cafe" and I had a helluva glass of $18/750 ml bottle beer.

check out this 50 page beer menu: http://latrappecafe.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/beerbook_web_december2 008.pdf

However, the entire place was full of douchebags and our waiter was especially incompetent, rude and condescending. So I don't care how good Belgian Beer is, I'll never go back to that 50 page beer menu!

Mussels & fries were pretty tasty, however.
Posted: Oct 8, 2009 7:39 pm

What are you?

What I say I'll say to ones face. I've heard from several people you'll avoid such things (or just dance over the subject like you're doing here). Pussy!
Posted: Oct 9, 2009 12:59 pm

Broken stella bottles at 20 yards!
"the sidewalks ran red"
Posted: Oct 9, 2009 1:07 pm

Don't believe everything you hear, loser.
Posted: Oct 9, 2009 1:14 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

I tried a double deuce of Bridgeport's wet-hopped Hop Harvest Ale last night. I was not impressed. It was overly carbonated and the hops kinda did taste wet, like wet grass just beginning to compost.

Sometime this weekend I'm off to the big city to try out some of Ninkasi's wet hopped brew. This one will be on-tap. Fingers crossed for a better brew than Bridgeport's.
Posted: Oct 9, 2009 4:37 pm

double deuce

wouldn't they give you a free taste?
Posted: Oct 9, 2009 6:10 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

No dice on free tastes at the store.
Posted: Oct 9, 2009 6:24 pm

Don't believe everything you hear, loser.Whatever, pussy.
Posted: Oct 21, 2009 3:16 pm

I think the legend goes, if you drink 3 Hoegaardens a day, and you drink each one in only three gulps, you will live to be 99

if that's the case i'm gonna live to be like 297.
Posted: Oct 26, 2009 2:33 pm

Stella is a run of the mill euro-lager. I'd be amazed if someone could discern it in a blind taste test with BECK's, St Pauli and Heineken.

Stella is called "Wife-Beater" in the UK!

I'd rather drink Stella over HOEGARDEN... I really dislike wheat beers.

I will fuck up some Chimay Blue, though.

I wish that were cheaper, but I understand why it isn't!
Posted: Oct 26, 2009 4:50 pm

I had some Leafer Madness on cask the other day. WAY better than Stella or Hoes, IMO.
Posted: Oct 27, 2009 8:48 am

I had some Leafer Madness on cask the other day. WAY better than Stella or Hoes, IMO.

Apples and Oranges.....
Posted: Oct 27, 2009 8:53 am

Now if you want to start a thread talking about Double and Imperial IPA's, I'm down.
Posted: Oct 27, 2009 5:02 pm

I like to steer any thread that mentions any sort of brew towards a Pale Ale discussion!
Posted: Oct 27, 2009 5:30 pm

I told my Dad Budweiser had come out with an ale and he was shocked, frankly shocked!
his fav when I was a kid was Ballantine, so I'd get to do the rebus
Posted: Oct 27, 2009 11:30 pm

Lompoc C-Note.
Posted: Oct 28, 2009 12:05 pm

And truthfully, if you want to talk about Belgian Witbeer,
BLANCHE DE BRUXELLES MANNEKEN PIS WHITE ALE is the shit....

Way better than Hoes.
Posted: Oct 28, 2009 12:06 pm

...and I drank 3 Victory Hop Wallop Imperial IPA's lat night. Great grapefruity citrus smell and huge hop taste. Great beer!
Posted: Oct 30, 2009 10:18 pm

Had a few Bell's The Oracle now. Pretty good (as all Bell's stuff usually is) but you can definitely tell they're feeling Founders breathing down their neck cuz it tried really hard to be just like a Double Trouble.

Those Hop Wallops are great!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®