Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Porchetta recipe?
Posted: Jun 29, 2009 3:43 pm

Anyone got one? I'm going to do one on my smoker this weekend and was curious if anyone has a recipe or experience smoking one. I always thought they were roasted but the place I'm getting mine says that all the firemen throw them on a smoker.
Posted: Jun 29, 2009 7:41 pm

are you talkin bout a 20lb deboned suckling pig rolled up or the shoulder version?
Posted: Jun 30, 2009 10:52 am

i've used this recipe, to some success, as a jumping off point. obviously you can tweak it to your liking. using pork belly would be really good too.

* 4 pounds boneless pork shoulder
* Salt and pepper
* 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
* 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
* 1 bulb fennel, fronds chopped and reserved, bulb thinly sliced
* 2 pounds ground pork shoulder (you can use already-made sausages if need be)
* 2 tablespoons fennel seeds
* 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
* 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
* 2 eggs, beaten
* 4 red onions, halved

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Have your butcher butterfly pork shoulder to an even 1 inch thickness, you should have a flat piece of meat about 8 inches by 14 inches. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and set aside.

In a sauté pan, heat olive oil until smoking. Add the onion and fennel bulb and sauté until softened and lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Add ground pork, fennel seeds, pepper, rosemary and garlic and cook until the mixture assumes a light color, stirring constantly, about 10 minutes. Allow to cool. Add chopped fennel leaves and eggs and mix well.

Spread the mixture over pork loin and roll up like a jelly roll. Tie with butchers twine and place in roast pan on top of halved red onions. Place in oven and roast for 2 1/2 hours, until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F. Remove and allow to rest for 10 to 20 minutes. Slice into 1 inch thick pieces and serve.
Posted: Jun 30, 2009 12:08 pm

Great, thanks, Ryan. I'm not sure yet if I'm doing just a shoulder or a whole suckling pig - kind of depends on the place I'm getting it at and how many people I can sucker into coming over. I'll post some pictures when I figure it out. I am still interested to hear if anyone has ever smoked one before. Not sure if you could get much crackling with that low of heat.
Posted: Jun 30, 2009 3:37 pm

kind of depends on the place I'm getting it at and how many people I can sucker into coming over.

if i was still in PDX, you could count me in. doesn't seem too hard to get folks over for porchetta.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®