Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / 46 lbs of awesome
Posted: Jun 6, 2009 12:08 pm

going to roast a pig in the ground tomorrow. i have some sliced up apples, walnuts and a bottle of cheap white wine to stuff in the cavity. i'm going to rub the skin with olive oil, garlic, fresh oregano and some tarragon. what am i missing?
Posted: Jun 6, 2009 2:22 pm

what am i missing?

me & my bib.
Posted: Jun 7, 2009 12:27 pm

http://www.lacajachina.com/

Fuck diggin a pit.
Posted: Jun 7, 2009 1:01 pm

onions or shallots, maple syrup or brown sugar...salt and fucking pepper...

...if it were me I'd do thyme and rosemary instead of oregano and tarragon...either way cooking a whole pig automatically establishes you as a total bad-ass.
Posted: Jun 7, 2009 3:09 pm

save me the skin.
Posted: Jun 7, 2009 3:57 pm

Of course we'll need pictures of your porcine masterpiece.
Posted: Jun 7, 2009 6:22 pm

yummmmmm. i went to a pig roast last week and the guy who did it misted the thing with coconut water. it was so goddamn good, holy shit.
Posted: Jun 8, 2009 12:16 pm

misted the thing with coconut water

Hawaiian style.

I'd lose the tarragon, that's just too strong.

how did it come out?
Posted: Jun 8, 2009 5:22 pm

instead of oregano and tarragon
lose the tarragon

it was actually pretty good if not unobtrusive. the cherry and hickory woods pretty much dominated the flavor and sewing up the apples and wine in the belly worked great and steamed from the inside and kept it especially juicy. all and all it being my first pig i'd say it was pretty fuckin aweome for not having ANY idea what i was doing. i'll post pictures once i get all the different cameras together.
Posted: Jun 8, 2009 6:28 pm

How'd the dog like it?
Posted: Jun 8, 2009 7:17 pm

How'd the dog like it?

he loved it so much that he shit his fuckin brains out all over the house while i was at work.
Posted: Jun 12, 2009 2:14 pm

I am finding those pictures inspiring.
Posted: Jun 13, 2009 2:44 pm

Nice work my friend.
Posted: Jun 14, 2009 5:49 pm

thanks rick! i humbly accept your accolade.
Posted: Jun 14, 2009 6:22 pm

In the first picture the pig sorta looks like a dog. In the other pictures it looks 100% delish, wish I'd been there!
Posted: Jun 14, 2009 8:10 pm

y'all should come up in august. i'll be doing another one for my birthday.
Posted: Jun 14, 2009 8:12 pm

first picture the pig sorta looks like a dog.

well, we did buy it from a greek packing house. you never know with THOSE people.
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 9:30 am

very nice.
Posted: Jun 19, 2009 8:19 pm

dude.
next time you do this you need to holler.

how much does a whole pig cost, anyway? you got it in greektown?
Posted: Jun 20, 2009 8:09 am

will do for sure. there's lots of meat on them bones. got it at halsted packing on halsted and lake and it cost $108.00 with tax. pretty good deal.
Posted: Jun 21, 2009 8:29 pm

for real, now. I want to see an entire pig roasted in a hole in the ground. you live out in hipster west town?
Posted: Jun 22, 2009 6:16 am

garfield park (carroll and homan) - about a block from the conservatory. its west, for sure, but defintiely not hipster.
Posted: Sep 14, 2009 11:10 am

Hey, I'm going to try this in a couple of weeks. Can you tell me or point me at info on how to cut the sucker up after it's cooked? I'd hate to gross out my guests as I hack into the body and start gagging.
Posted: Sep 14, 2009 3:10 pm

yeah, i totally had no idea where to start or how to do it "correctly" so i started with taking a cleaver to the legs at the joint of the shoulders and the hind quarters and stripped the meat from each of those as "clean" as i could. i trimmed the meat off the belly and back and hacked off the head for my own ammusement. don't forget to trim the cheek and cut out the tongue and eyes. thems good eatin.
Posted: Sep 14, 2009 3:15 pm

Great, thanks. Maybe I'll make a little video of this. I've got a sharpened stick already for the head.
Posted: May 10, 2010 8:49 pm

oh, here it is...

arman, what kinda stones/rocks did you use? did you put any inside the cavity? what was your method for getting to the coals, i.e. how long did you keep a fire going until you lowered the pig?
Posted: May 10, 2010 9:52 pm

The Hawaiian banana leaf wrap method makes it super juicy!
Posted: May 11, 2010 10:19 am

i didn't use stones, but i probably should have. would have cut down having to mind the fire. i'll definiteily do that this year though. i dug a 3x4 ft pit and trussed the pig on a big tanker bar and lowered it into the hole. put a piece of plywood over the pig and drapped some plastic over the plywood and sealed up the plastic with dirt. this year though i'm not going to dig the hole as deep and will build a small "smoker box" so the pig won't be such a pain in the ass to get to and all we'll need to do to stoke the fire is to move the box.
i started the fire with brikets and let them burn down and then threw in split cherry logs. seemed to work pretty good. not so sure i want to use banana leaves this time around though. i want a more crispy, well done skin.
post some pictures!
Posted: May 11, 2010 10:40 am

Thanks for the hints. I think I am going use stones for this. I'll skip the banana leaves and just throw in heads of cabbage. I saw in your pictures that you stuffed the cavity of the pig. With what? I'm thinking granny apples.

For the crispy skin, I'm thinking of a second fire or blow torch.

I'm so excited I tinkle myself thinking about it.
Posted: May 11, 2010 11:24 am

stuffed it with sliced green apples, walnuts, then poured in a bottle of white wine before i sewed it shut. kept the meat moist and had a sweet flavor to it. not opposed to sewing it up again but i wonder what it would be like without doing that and let the wood smoke flavor the meat. its a win/win either way i'd say.
Posted: May 11, 2010 12:02 pm

You can always use the Philipino boxspring method. I still want the Caja
China, no digging, but no smoke flavor.
Posted: May 11, 2010 12:20 pm

there's a box spring across the alley, but i think someone is living on it.

i figure digging a small pit will keep the wood insulated and the box will make things easier to deal with. make a lid for the top and we're set.
Posted: May 11, 2010 4:08 pm

So piggy stoked! I was thinking it would be fun to ride bikes to the pig party pit... and then I thought of the ride home... and consequently ending up in a gutter, pig-stuffed belly down... bad scene.
Posted: May 11, 2010 8:16 pm

... bad scene.

how bad could it be? don't PDX have socialized vegan bike riding health plans and shit?
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®