Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / I'm Gonna Buy a Smoker
Posted: Apr 12, 2009 2:36 pm

I currently have a Weber grill and its been pretty efficient when I smoke a Boston Butt or a fattie. However, its tough to regulate the heat and add more fuel to the fire when you're working with a conventional grill.

So I'm gonna buy a smoker. Any suggestions? I like my Weber grill, but their smokers are $300! I don't want to spend that much cash. Any suggestions for a cheap but effective smoker?
Posted: Apr 12, 2009 3:11 pm | Edited by: Womb Raider

Those weber smokey mountain things are actually supposed to be some of the best smokers out there, but yeah, $300 is a bit much.

I have had a brinkmann pitmaster (standard horizontal offset firebox type smoker) for about six years now. It was pretty cheap, I don't remember exactly what I paid for it but I think around $150 at Academy. The bottom of the firebox finally rusted out a few months back. It has actually held up remarkably well considering the way I take care of it. It has sat out in the rain uncovered for most of its lifespan not to mention sitting in katrina water for weeks.

But all that said it is kind of difficult to keep a steady temperature in it. Also the temperature inside of the grill varies greatly depening on how close to the firebox you put the meat. I haven't had a lot of luck with the bigger cuts of meat like brisket and big pork shoulders, they never come out the way I want. But it is great for smoking large quantities of chicken, ribs, etc.

I like the looks of this thing but who knows it may be a piece of junk: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=60000-16 39-3005C&lpage=none

One of these days I'm going to build an awesome one out of bricks, or just modify the fireplace in my house to be a pit.
Posted: Apr 12, 2009 9:04 pm

I have bought and discarded many inexpensive smokers. I have had these two (see links below) for several years, each with its own unique benefits (hence need for both). Common thread is that you can put anything (e.g. brisket, shoulder, ribs, an old boot) on, do nothing at all, and end up with a smoky, succulent, restaurant-quality result. Worth the money, for sure.

http://www.grilldome.com/

http://www.cookshack.com
Posted: Apr 13, 2009 7:49 am

I think those green egg things look like they would be easy to use.
Posted: Apr 13, 2009 8:10 am

For $800 I'd hope it's easy to use.
Posted: Apr 13, 2009 11:13 am

went to a cookout last year..and this dude had one...the egg part was really cool..but the harware/frame was shheeeeite.man i couldn't believe it..and for 800? was expecting something totaly different..i'm with building a brick pit in the backyard..
Posted: Apr 13, 2009 11:18 am

but the harware/frame was shheeeeite.man i couldn't believe it..

we built a frame/table for ours and it's pretty sweet
Posted: Apr 15, 2009 9:02 pm

my dad gave me an electric smoker(w/ heating element instead of charcoal) for x-mas a few years back and i loved it.guess i thought not having to fuck with the charcoal was a lazy white mans dream.i smoked many boston butts,ribs and other various animal parts on it,which all turned out great.recently the heating element burned out and have just been using charcoal and i think its better now than ever.only have to replace the charcoal once when smoking a butt.definatly better flavor.i would suggest just getting the cheapest charcoal smoker at home depot.think mine is a brinkman.just make sure to get the biggest chunks of hickory you can find.
Posted: Apr 16, 2009 11:30 am

But all that said it is kind of difficult to keep a steady temperature in it. Also the temperature inside of the grill varies greatly depening on how close to the firebox you put the meat. I haven't had a lot of luck with the bigger cuts of meat like brisket and big pork shoulders, they never come out the way I want. But it is great for smoking large quantities of chicken, ribs, etc.

I've now done a bunch of research on this and here's a solution to your problem: http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/Downloads_files/CharGrilleMods.pdf
Posted: Apr 18, 2009 6:22 pm

I hear Harvey Firesteins available.....oh yeah!!!!
Posted: May 20, 2009 3:05 pm

Finally bought, modified, and smoked my smoker.

Got a Char-Griller Smokin' Pro, horizontal with the firebox. I love it. Pulled pork and turkey legs came out great.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®