Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Mar 25, 2009 11:29 am

tried cooking one for the first time last night. in the boil i put lemon, bay leaves, a garlic clove, and some cajun spice. for a dip i mixed mayo w cracked pepper and balsamic vinegar.

is it just me, or is that alot of work for a little itty bitty bit of food?
Posted: Mar 25, 2009 11:57 am

they're good roasted. cut off the top of the leaves a little above where you think the heart is, put cut part down onto a baking sheet, drizzle some olive oil, roast until fork tender at 350 or so....
Posted: Mar 25, 2009 3:17 pm

that sounds good!
Posted: Mar 26, 2009 11:09 am

They're delicious when distilled... Cynar 4 life!!
Posted: Mar 27, 2009 12:35 pm

You can also boil/steam them to death. It is a tricky practice to get it just right without really over doing it. Also, learn how to pick good ones out--get them when the leaves are long and pointed not curved and rounded--I don't think the latter taste nearly as good. Also, it needs to feel like it has a little heft and is compact. Cut the stem close and evenly and also tear all those stupid little bottom leaves off.

Once I found a worm in mine and I love them so much, I just tore off the leaves he ate on and ate the rest.
Posted: Mar 27, 2009 1:42 pm

they kick ass in a crawfish boil. spicy.
Posted: Mar 27, 2009 8:28 pm

is it just me, or is that alot of work for a little itty bitty bit of food?

You did eat the heart, didn't you? Not just the leaves?
Posted: Mar 27, 2009 9:25 pm

Oh yeah!!! Muy importante!
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 8:34 am

they kick ass in a crawfish boil. spicy
oooh, i have seen this! i will def put some in the boil next month!

i did eat the heart. was sharing with my man and my room mate though. don't get me wrong, it was damn tasty! just every leaf, it's only the little bit at the base that you eat right?
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 9:45 am

Right.
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 4:02 pm

Yep--rip off all those super fine leaves around the interior (though you'll be tempted to eat some of those) and scrape off the hairy stuff attached to the heart and eat away.

Anyone seen any good ones in Memphis anywhere?
Posted: Mar 31, 2009 10:10 am

if you have a pan for pasta with colandr insert..cut off top and priks..even slice off stem...make stuffing breadcrumbsherbs parm and tasso, leftover craw whatever.stuff leaves.jam them side by side in colander..fill pot up to where colander just meets liquid ..add all brrrl ingrdnts zatran,grlic,lemon,lots of cayanne.."insert" colndr... turn it on to slow boil.. put lid n top and slow steam for bout 40 min..make sure u open a window..le poof
Posted: Mar 31, 2009 9:35 pm

on the heart: melted butter and hot sauce.
Posted: Apr 1, 2009 3:40 pm

On the whole thing: Hollandaise sauce.
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 9:13 am

if you have a pan for pasta with colandr insert..cut off top and priks..even slice off stem...make stuffing breadcrumbsherbs parm and tasso, leftover craw whatever.stuff leaves.jam them side by side in colander..fill pot up to where colander just meets liquid ..add all brrrl ingrdnts zatran,grlic,lemon,lots of cayanne.."insert" colndr... turn it on to slow boil.. put lid n top and slow steam for bout 40 min..make sure u open a window..le poof

wow
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®