Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Gluten free Beer
Posted: Mar 11, 2009 3:03 pm

I am drinking one right this very minute.
Posted: Mar 11, 2009 3:31 pm

Budweiser? or meybe it's just gluten-lite???
Posted: Mar 11, 2009 3:32 pm

I tasted it--not terrible.
Posted: Mar 11, 2009 3:34 pm

It's called New Grist Beer made from Sorghum and Rice extract
made by Lakefront brewery.

There was another brand that I passed on. Might have to give it a shot.
Posted: Mar 11, 2009 4:21 pm

I've had that before. I bought it with the intent of giving them to my girlfriend who has celiac sprue, but I wound up drinking them all. I remember liking it and thinking it was a good crisp beer.
Posted: Mar 11, 2009 4:40 pm

I remember liking it and thinking it was a good crisp beer.

Yeah - I haven't found a beer that I really like yet. I drank most of one bottle, which for me is a big deal.
Posted: Mar 11, 2009 4:56 pm

I have tried 3-4 of them. All ballwash.....
Posted: Mar 11, 2009 5:51 pm

Are you gluten intolerant? Otherwise, would you rather just shit your brains out?
Posted: Mar 11, 2009 6:01 pm

Gimme!!
Posted: Mar 11, 2009 6:17 pm

i think i know some plant life that would love that stuff.
Posted: Mar 12, 2009 2:14 am

what? another gluten intol rocker? feh.. hard to keep up the rock n' roll consumption cred with a malady like this.

so there's GF beer that's not entirely icky? by any chance it served at a gluten free pizza joint?
Posted: Mar 12, 2009 8:27 am

so there's GF beer that's not entirely icky? by any chance it served at a gluten free pizza joint?
Your answer

No, it's at a high-end corner market near our house.

I'm not gluten intolerant, just on a quest to find ANY beer I like well enough to drink a whole bottle of.
Posted: Mar 12, 2009 9:44 am

I'm not gluten intolerant, just on a quest to find ANY beer I like well enough to drink a whole bottle of.

Windy! Try Blue Moon with a wedge of orange. Mmmmm.
Posted: Mar 12, 2009 10:53 am

Or just about anything... with a pizza!
Posted: Mar 12, 2009 1:03 pm

Windy! Try Blue Moon with a wedge of orange. Mmmmm.

Will do. I haven't tried that one yet.
Posted: Mar 12, 2009 2:00 pm

i'm with W. i found a hefeweizen i like tho.
Posted: Mar 12, 2009 6:02 pm

i found a hefeweizen i like tho.

Well, what's it called?
Posted: Mar 12, 2009 6:36 pm

Blue Moon seems to be particularly popular with the ladies. Why is that?
Posted: Mar 12, 2009 8:46 pm

I used to think I didn't like beer all that much. would get too full before I could finish... then learned I have celiac...

I really do miss hanging out over pizza and beer... in Austin tho! yay!
Posted: Mar 12, 2009 10:43 pm

Jahna - thanks for the tip, I got more than halfway through the Blue Moon with orange.

I used to think I didn't like beer all that much. would get too full before I could finish... then learned I have celiac...

funny, I commented just tonight that I don't see how anyone could sit around drinking beer after beer because less than one makes me feel so full.
Posted: Mar 12, 2009 11:17 pm

Well... it's kind of a girly beer. It's got a really creamy consistency and is kind of fruity/citrus tasting, even without the orange. There aren't any of the bitter undertones that a lot of ales have. With a slice of orange, it's almost like a creamcicle beer.
Posted: Mar 13, 2009 4:11 pm

Well, what's it called?
i think squatters. its on tap at this bar in the middle of nowhere i been goin to.
Posted: Mar 13, 2009 7:30 pm

ok. I'll have to see if I can find that around here.
Posted: Mar 13, 2009 10:34 pm

tetleys is good too.
Posted: Mar 14, 2009 2:59 pm

tetleys is good too.

this is beer? or tea?
Posted: Mar 14, 2009 3:16 pm

Posted: Mar 14, 2009 3:22 pm

Posted: Mar 14, 2009 7:00 pm

funny, I commented just tonight that I don't see how anyone could sit around drinking beer after beer because less than one makes me feel so full.

hmmm, interesting!

try cider... I like Ace Pear cider or Strongbow, both more on the dry side.
Posted: Mar 14, 2009 8:04 pm

I like the woodchuck stuff. i can drink two or three of those vs. less than half of a beer.
Posted: Mar 14, 2009 9:53 pm

that might be telling ya something. my doc told me that one beer has as much gluten as a whole loaf of white bread.

if you can get it, try Bellot cider. it's French, comes in a wine bottle, is fine and crispy dry... delish!
Posted: Mar 15, 2009 5:25 pm

this is beer?
yup
Posted: Mar 15, 2009 5:32 pm

I tasted the Tetley's the other night, no go.
Posted: Mar 15, 2009 5:47 pm

DCR--do you like Guinness? The Tetley's tasted like a pussified version of Guinness.
Posted: Mar 16, 2009 5:21 pm

i'll let you know soon
Posted: Mar 16, 2009 6:22 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

The Tetley's tasted like a pussified version of Guinness.

They should have a similar mouth feel, as they both have nitro capsules in the can....

I find Guiness to be one of the mildest tasting beers out there, despite its being dark as night. I'll have to try Tetleys and Guiness side by side to ascertain relative pussifiedness.
Posted: Mar 16, 2009 6:29 pm

Think I'll head downtown for a couple of Smithwicks and a Guiness after work. Dang Irish bar has no English beer on the premises, so I'll be unable to do the Tetleys vs Guiness test.
Posted: Mar 16, 2009 7:19 pm

The Tetley's was only similar to Guinness right at first, then it just had nothing behind it. Guinness is like eating a damn sandwich.
Posted: Mar 16, 2009 7:34 pm

i want to drink a sandwich
Posted: Mar 16, 2009 8:22 pm

then have a Guinness.
Posted: Mar 16, 2009 8:58 pm

i want to drink a sandwich

or eat one nursing home style: straight from the blender!
Posted: Mar 17, 2009 12:24 pm

More Smithwicks and Guinness and Corned Beef and Cabbage in my future today!!!!
Posted: Mar 17, 2009 12:26 pm

Posted: Mar 17, 2009 12:30 pm

Posted: Mar 17, 2009 2:41 pm

Will I get kicked out of my local Irish pub for ordering Bass Ale today?
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 6:56 pm

i started out with guinness last night. ended up with tetleys. had a few pbr's in between.
still like tetleys the most.
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 8:02 pm

i think blue moon tastes like ballwash. after it's already washed some balls. fucking gross ass shit, orange wedge or no.
Posted: Mar 20, 2009 6:53 pm

i think blue moon tastes like ballwash. after it's already washed some balls. fucking gross ass shit, orange wedge or no.

Ballwash indeed. Blue Moon trys to be a Belgian Wit Bier. It's a realy poor representation of the style. If you want to try a real Belgian Wit, have a Hoegaarden. Perfect summer beer. No orange needed.
Posted: Mar 21, 2009 4:10 pm

What's with all this ballwash hate? Mmmmm, ballwash....
Posted: Mar 23, 2009 12:37 pm

Posted: Mar 24, 2009 5:06 pm | Edited by: jahna

have a Hoegaarden

I LOVE that stuff. They don't have anything that nice at my local. I really like the Ommegange Witte Ale.

Oh, and WIndy -- I'm a HUGE fan of the Ommegang Hennepin. MMMMmmm. THat stuff is the real deal. Try that, if you liked the Blue Moon.
Posted: Mar 24, 2009 5:17 pm

Oh, and WIndy -- I'm a HUGE fan of the Ommegang Hennepin. MMMMmmm. THat stuff is the real deal. Try that, if you liked the Blue Moon.

i definitely need to have some beer today. I'll see if they have those at my little store.
Posted: Mar 25, 2009 10:32 am

I tried to think of what beer to recommend for someone who doesn't like beer, but I'm still wrapping my head around that concept!
Posted: Mar 27, 2009 10:30 am | Edited by: jahna

I'll see if they have those at my little store.

It comes in a bigger bottle, like the size of a perrier bottle -- not in six-pack size. You'll have to share it with the millionaire.
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 9:54 am

wicked evil temptations! I cain't drink beer! not even food in which the alcohol's been cooked out. knocks me on my ass for months at a time!

btw, for who ever wanted to drink a sandwich, one beer = one loaf of white bread...

and Austin rocks cuz I can across so many bars that has Ace Pear Cider... yum!
Posted: Apr 5, 2009 4:12 pm

I found the Ommegang Hennepin. Not bad, but not my favorite. The Millionaire found some more Founder's Kentucky Breakfast Stout, so he may not get to the Hennepin anytime soon.

Didn't find the hoegaarden, but I did see the witte. Next time...
Posted: Apr 13, 2009 1:25 pm

Ace Joker cider is the way to go...superdry...and 8%
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®