Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Juicy Jim's on Highland
Posted: Feb 3, 2009 12:51 pm

been there?

i did today. giant cheesesteak sandwhich. it was kinda gamey and I started sneezing after I ate it.
Posted: Feb 3, 2009 10:57 pm

You were on Highland and didn't go to the Chinese sub shop?
Posted: Feb 3, 2009 11:07 pm

I go to Blue Coast when I'm on Highland.
Posted: Feb 4, 2009 2:30 am

didn't go to the Chinese sub shop?
for real, thursday is the chicken sub. get the soft roll. deeelicious
Posted: Feb 4, 2009 11:59 am

Went to Chinese Sub on Monday.
Turkey on soft.
What the hell do they do to that bread?
It's amazing.
Posted: Feb 4, 2009 4:42 pm

CHICKEN THURSDAY, TRUST ME!
Posted: Feb 5, 2009 12:07 pm

Juicy Jim's is insane. Actually, Jim is insane.
I went there a couple times. Here are the highlights:

1) Jim is an avid motorcyle rider. He was on the phone with a friend talking about Harleys. He apparently has an aversion to black people owning Harleys. He said, loudly, "Now that they let them blacks own Harleys, what's next. Nothing is sacred."

2) Jim was making our sandwiches and decided that he needed to tell my friend and I about his worker who had called in that day. Apparently, the worker was a lesbian, and because of this she was untrustworthy and was a poor worker. And, for some reason, he said that he lent her money to go see her mom and she never went. Then, as he was cursing about the girl and "carpet munchers" in general, the girl in question walked in. We left with our #20's and made a hasty exit.

3) When you order there, be prepared to be told you are not ordering in a a very economical way. Apparently, all of the sandwiches can be combined with other sandwiches and items to make what can only be termed as "super orders". For instance, if you and a compatriot order the same sandwich, you will be told that you can order a different number, which is the same thing as you just ordered, only big enough for two. Even if you explain to the person behind the counter that you would not like this option, they will still try to force it on you. And, I do not use the word force lightly.

But, that being said, I had some good stuff there.

But, Chicken Thursday kills. Get the hard roll. F the soft roll!
Posted: Feb 5, 2009 3:25 pm

But...

CHINESE SUB SHOP!
Posted: Feb 5, 2009 8:06 pm

chicken thursday is one of the things i miss most about memphis
Posted: Feb 6, 2009 3:06 am

TWO THINGS:

1. When Jim is running shop, they have really good sandwiches, over 100+ to choose from!!! Good cheese-steaks! I live in U of M area!

2. When his stoned son is running the store, not so good and delivery can take 2+ hours. However, the 'Dumpster' (fully loaded philly cheese steak) is one of the best late-night sandwiches you can get delivered in this neighborhood. But sometimes his son is SO stoned, he can't figure out what you are ordering.
Posted: Feb 6, 2009 10:51 am

Third Thing:
If you order one sandwich, crazy ass jim, who also will sit down at your table uninvited while you eat, will make 2 sandwiches and demand you pay for the 2nd one which you didn't order. Then you will never go back to deal with such a screwball.

They aren't nearly as nutz at South Philly and their sandwiches are much better.
Posted: Feb 6, 2009 11:21 am

Where's that?
Posted: Feb 6, 2009 11:31 am

Off Beale St.
Posted: Feb 6, 2009 9:53 pm | Edited by: Wire

Now I wanna go there just to shove his attitude up his ass. So what's that in word-of-mouth marketing terms? "Yeah, your negative press is reaching the holier-than-thou always-looking-for-an-argument demographic."
Posted: Feb 8, 2009 9:24 pm

"Yeah, your negative press is reaching the holier-than-thou always-looking-for-an-argument demographic."

ha ha!
Posted: Feb 9, 2009 1:20 pm

"Yeah, your negative press is reaching the holier-than-thou always-looking-for-an-argument demographic."

I am sure he has a sandwich for that. If you buy two, I am sure it is more economical.
Posted: Feb 10, 2009 2:22 pm

(for 1st part of Juicy experience see post top of page)

part 2:

Juicy J dropped an NBA shoesized paper package on the counter. In seconds the wrapping turned piss yellow w/ grease.

"Wow that's some sandwhich," I said.

"I'm from Jersey (whatever that means?). It's a good idea to get stoned before going back to work."

"I don't do grass."

"Everybody Must Get Stoned."

On the way out some guy w/ dreadlocks told me he'd tried everything on the menu, "and they're all great."

one more thing, anyone notice the stack of ashtrays apparently for in house use?
Posted: Feb 10, 2009 7:03 pm

Ha. So you met the stoner son of the owner I assume? I don't think Juicy J himself would have said anything about getting stoned.... I've eaten there a few times, the cheesesteaks are ok, but it's a hilarious experience when the son is working. He gets BAKED (apparently). It's even funnier if you live near here and try to order something on the phone when dude is working.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®