Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Red Velvet Cake and Cupcakes
Posted: Dec 21, 2008 1:51 pm

I had quite possibly the best Red Velvet Cake at Eva Duffee's bday party and cannot quit thinking about it, so I wanna make one. What made it so special is that it was way more dense and sticky than the typically airy Southern cake. The baker likely added some different spices too, because it definitely had some unusual tastes (good unusual). But, the best part was the denseness/stickiness.

Anyone have a good recipe for RV cake and cupcakes they wanna divulge?
Posted: Dec 22, 2008 10:49 pm

no kidding. someone cough it up cuz i've been wanting red velvet cake. i got a decent recipe, but it needs something more, imho.
Posted: Dec 23, 2008 5:46 pm

Yeah, what is the hold up with this???
Posted: Dec 23, 2008 6:03 pm

I've never made red velvet cake. I'm guessing they used cake flour which is what affected the consistency.
Posted: Dec 23, 2008 6:51 pm

You all may know by now...my go-to cakes are ALWAYS Magnolia:

http://www.superjux.com/recipes/red_velvet.htm

A FANTASTIC base recipe...you could fiddle with the chocolate, and for density maybe add some applesauce or more buttermilk? TK?
Posted: Dec 23, 2008 7:17 pm

that IS a fantastic base recipe

what i think is crucial --- the cake flour
you might want to try - for super moistness - a combo of butter and vegetable oil - like a stick of butter and 1/4 cup veg oil

make sure when creaming the butter with the sugar that the butter is at room temp but not too soft - because if it starts to melt/separate, its just not the same in terms of delivering the structure - and my suggestion of oil will help with the wetness you need in the batter...

the creaming of the butter puts air into it and makes the cake fluffy. if the butter is too melty or if you nuked it to soften it, it isn't going to get aerated the way it would if it was simply softened...
Posted: Dec 24, 2008 11:13 am

my go-to cakes are ALWAYS Magnolia

Me, too. The Magnolia Bakery recipes are always a safe bet. Delish!
Posted: Dec 24, 2008 5:30 pm

I've just made the Famous Cupcake and it was fantastic...BUT I'd would use less confectioners sugar in the icing. Also, what is your go-to butter for icing???
Posted: Dec 24, 2008 5:42 pm

i like the cupcake cafe's buttercream frosting --- i've never made it, but their buttercream is the best in nyc (comparing their cake to frosting, the frosting is a million times superior to the cake, which is dense - but too dense for me) now i'm inspired to look at their cookbook....
Posted: Dec 24, 2008 5:59 pm

I made the Magnolia version of buttercream and cut back by 1.5 cups on the sugar and it was still way too sugary for me. Some people like that, but I am a cake person. It also had this weird taste that I can only attribute to subpar unsalted butter. I am going for the good stuff next time.
Posted: Dec 24, 2008 11:50 pm

kerrygold butter is excellent. but the sine qua non is PLUGRA. any european style butter will do. i stopped using land o lakes, which used to be my default baking butter. Land o Lakes uses cream from cows that have been given recombinant bovine growth hormones so its OFF my list of food to consume.

i'm guessing that magnolia's buttercream is so sugary because their cake is more texture than flavor, if that makes sense.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®