Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Sep 15, 2008 1:02 am

i made some jambalaya tonight and one of my friends was eating it and she asked if it was soul food, and i was like, well, its cajun. does cajun food constitute soul food? what is a good answer or definition to the question of what soul food is? i was kinda caught off guard. i'd never really thought about it.
what say ye?
Posted: Sep 15, 2008 4:25 am

Jambalaya (pronounced /ˌd'ʌmbəˈlaɪə/ or <jum-buh-LIE-uh>) or <jam-buh-lie-uh> is a Louisiana Creole dish of Spanish and French creation. The dish is a New World version of the Old World dish paella. A Cajun version, loosely related to paella, was adopted after absorption of white French Creoles into the Cajun population following their fall from power in New Orleans after the Civil War.

anyway, it's confusing. in my definition, new orleans food is not the same as soul food. but a lot of people here use the term "creole food" to mean soul food, so it depends on who you ask. If you go to, say, Dunbar's Creole Cooking in New Orleans, you will find mostly soul food, not eggs sardou or oysters rockefeller. But if you go to Ellen's Soul Food in Memphis, red beans, jambalaya, etc. will not be on the menu.
Posted: Sep 15, 2008 4:35 am

another giveaway is the use of rice, which is used extensively in cajun/creole cooking but is not an ingredient in most "soul" dishes.

as for a definition of soul food, I would say, food traditional to black southerners, characterized by inexpensive ingredients and simple preparation methods.
Posted: Sep 15, 2008 7:21 am

Hoppin' John got the rice in it.
Posted: Sep 15, 2008 2:06 pm

Grease, as in pork fat

"just a greasepit" --- Arthur Bryant
Posted: Sep 15, 2008 2:33 pm

where would you say BBQ falls? is it its own thing? its been adopted by most of america in some form, but its roots are in the south and specifically african american south.
Posted: Sep 15, 2008 2:39 pm

I don't think that's true. Smoking tough cuts of meat is a form of cooking that predates the USA.
Posted: Sep 15, 2008 10:36 pm

Hoppin' John got the rice in it.
isn't that more lowcountry chow?
Posted: Sep 16, 2008 12:29 am

Smoking tough cuts of meat is a form of cooking that predates the USA.
it hasn't always been smoked. and the combination of sauce/wash/rub/marinade is kind of an american concoction
Posted: Sep 16, 2008 9:38 am

supp some dude in st. louis started BBQ sauce so.. if thats what your gettin at..cuz oncew the sauce gets to bastin on the meats you gotcho BBq..as we know it.. but memphis is dry rub..LA i dunno but paul prudhomme has a killer pecan bbq sauce for ribs in LA kitchen..but he's from MS go figure
Posted: Sep 16, 2008 2:07 pm

dry rub
on ribs. shoulder/butt was traditionally a wash.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®