Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / slowwwwwww fooooooooood
Posted: Sep 5, 2008 1:52 pm

have ya ever shifted nervously waiting for the server to get over their spiel, fearing that you can wolf down the food before they finish enumerating all the boutique growers who supplied tonight's specials? then ya gotta get a gander it this:

How a concept might backfire (hint, hint)
Posted: Sep 5, 2008 2:28 pm

Posted: Sep 5, 2008 2:43 pm

How a concept might backfire (hint, hint)

That's great, love it.

Broooooooooooowwwwwww......*

I hit up the free part of that slow food thing last weekend. There were some good samples and stuff, but I couldn't get past the ridiculousness of the whole thing. Some lady told me my water bottle was bad for the environment and wanted me to sign a pledge to never drink bottled water again. Then there was the lady who snapped at my girlfriend and I because we wouldn't wear her "yes on proposition whatever" stickers.
Posted: Sep 5, 2008 3:24 pm

I hit up the free part of that slow food thing last weekend.
I was at that thing in Civic Center, too. Bought a couple of "sustainable-organic-locally grown-yadda yadda" sandwiches and a hot dog for waaaaay too much money and was angry about it. The whole thing was no more than a glorified farmer's market with higher prices and longer lines. I'm not into it.
Posted: Sep 5, 2008 4:32 pm

thats why i'll always eat food from 7-11
Posted: Sep 5, 2008 4:52 pm

The whole thing was no more than a glorified farmer's market with higher prices and longer lines. I'm not into it.

a punk rock response to the slow food nation thingie - partly due to whole foods sponsorship...

and

spoof on sarah palin & moose - "of course we have a slow organic moose"
Posted: Sep 5, 2008 5:31 pm

i work around, amongst and inbetween devout slow food asswipes. it's the ultimate bourgeois expression of self-importance to celebrate the farmer from the comfort of your million dollar abode, all the while insisting these sons of the soil take up practices that would result in a product only the richest 5% could afford.

fuck 'em.
Posted: Sep 6, 2008 12:21 am

I like the idea of slow food, being celiac and all... no any bit of gluten - wheat, barley, rye, malt, white vinegar, etc, ad nauseam... when eating out, real swell to get chow without additives that'll bring me to my knees... but I'm with Seamus, it's all turning into a bourgeois oxymoron. I thought the original movement was to battle mass consumption of fast food by making the good stuff available to a wide segment of the population... Ten dollar a pound tomatoes sure as shit ain't gonna accomplish that agenda!
Posted: Sep 6, 2008 5:42 pm

Ten dollar a pound tomatoes sure as shit ain't gonna accomplish that agenda!

for a $6.00 investment, i've had tomatoes growing in my yard all summer long.
awesome, taste-like-tomatoes tomatoes.
you all can do it too
Posted: Sep 7, 2008 1:54 pm

what is this magic tomato secret of which you speak?

ahhhh... taint nuthing so good as homegrown! here, frickin drought, insanely prohibitive watering restrictions made it likely that any young toms would wither and die... :(

I'm just gonna head out to the flea market to grab them deals from the hispanic produce vendors...
Posted: Sep 7, 2008 2:23 pm

when one of the dogs ripped down a branch off the tomato plant, which had blossoms and baby tomatoes on it, i put said branch into a big (gallon wine jug type thing) container full of water and the tomatoes grew, turned red, were totally delicious and edible. sort of a poor man's hydroponics. and the branch grew roots, which i will plant.

surely even in a drought, you can fill a gallon jug once in a while? try it next summer
Posted: Sep 7, 2008 2:38 pm

tk, try ripley TN tomatoes if you haven't.
Posted: Sep 7, 2008 7:20 pm

it's the ultimate bourgeois expression of self-importance

slow food movement seems to be today's latest status symbol
Posted: Sep 7, 2008 7:57 pm

surely even in a drought, you can fill a gallon jug once in a while? try it next summer
saving my sneak watering to hose out the cat box... :P

when we get rain again, I know tons of volunteer tomatoes will sprout outta the compost pile of kitchen scraps... but unless we get some of these tropical rains, that's gonna be along wait... as long as waiting on the horse-drawn carriage to deliver my other produce... hehe...
Posted: Sep 7, 2008 11:46 pm

dcr - yup - had ripley tomatoes, for sure. very tasty!
Posted: Sep 8, 2008 12:02 pm

today's latest status symbol

just another way for "them" to lord it over us regular folks

we can't be good if we don't eat organic locally sourced blah de blah
Posted: Sep 9, 2008 2:43 pm

Local farmer Steve Sando gets into heated debate with Carlo Petrini, founder of Slow Food:

http://ranchogordo.typepad.com/rancho_gordo_experiments_/2007/05/lets_ meet_carlo.html
Posted: Sep 9, 2008 3:27 pm

we can't be good if we don't eat organic locally sourced blah de blah

its not that black & white, you know

one lessens their carbon footprint by buying locally grown stuff, plus you keep money in the local economy, etc... doesn't take a brain surgeon to connect those dots.

tomatoes from your local farmer at the local farmers market are going to be fresher - they've been off the vine for less time than the ones that had to be flown or trucked in from elsewhere PLUS it costs less to bring them to you...

it doesn't have to be ORGANIC - but it also doesn't have to be genetically modified crap that grows quicker, bigger and has no flavor either... aside from who knows what the genetic modifcation does to the food once its in your system
Posted: Sep 9, 2008 3:37 pm

who knows what

hey --- genetic engineering can create the perfect raaaaaaaaaace
Posted: Sep 9, 2008 4:27 pm

one lessens their carbon footprint by buying locally grown stuff, plus you keep money in the local economy, etc... doesn't take a brain surgeon to connect those dots.
But the best way to reduce your carbon footprint is by not having any offspring who will use up vital resources.
Posted: Sep 9, 2008 5:48 pm

But the best way to reduce your carbon footprint is by not having any offspring who will use up vital resources.

or better yet, killing yourself with an organic hemp noose.
Posted: Sep 9, 2008 6:35 pm

i am a member of this club
Posted: Sep 9, 2008 6:38 pm

or better yet, killing yourself with an organic hemp noose.
And then having your corpse composted. The putrid smell can be avoided with a sprig or 2 of locally-grown rosemary.
Posted: Sep 11, 2008 4:02 pm

not having any offspring .... i am a member of this club

don't worry, Sarah Palin is taking care of the problem for you
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®