Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Government Cheese
Posted: Aug 25, 2008 2:07 pm

Who had it in their house besides me?

It was nasty by itself, but it made really good macaroni and good cheesburgers. It was hard as hell to cut though.
Posted: Aug 25, 2008 3:06 pm

there was actual gov't cheese! i always thought it ment a welfare check!

yukum-yukum!
Posted: Aug 25, 2008 3:53 pm

When I was in High School in Iowa, my friend's family got gov't cheese and butter. They both came in blocks the size of a shoe box. The blocks probably weighed 5lbs. each, if not more. The cheese was some sort of cheddar derivative and I recall it being pretty decent for crackers or sandwiches. I never understood why my friend got the stuff, though. They didn't start to get the free food (tons of it) until after his parents got divorced, but his dad was a vice president of a bank. It never made sense to me that he got welfare cheese, when he was living with his father.
Posted: Aug 25, 2008 4:30 pm

I used to get it back in college. It was OK, but hell it was FREE.
Posted: Aug 25, 2008 5:06 pm

It was nasty by itself,

No Way.. Goverment cheese was awesome. My Grandma used to get it. Like most little old ladies she was unable to consume 5lbs of cheese, so she always pawned it off on us. It was great... though in retrospect, my memory could be tainted. At the time all I really had to compare it to were the imitation store brand equivelant of kraft singles, so what do i know.
Posted: Aug 25, 2008 6:21 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

Government cheese ain't bad. I dunno anyone who has eaten a can of the government pork, though. I do know a couple people with cans, but for display purposes only.
Posted: Aug 25, 2008 6:50 pm

hahaha! you're all POOR ASS BUMS!
Posted: Aug 25, 2008 7:39 pm

my grandparents used to get it. i thought it was pretty nasty.
gub'ment cheeeeeese!
Posted: Aug 25, 2008 8:27 pm

Government cheese, powdered milk, watered-down ketchup, etc., etc. Yep, we had it all when I was a kid! The cheese isn't that bad from what I remember--doesn't it make really good cheese dip?
Posted: Aug 25, 2008 9:22 pm

chunks of powdered milk = the worst
Posted: Aug 25, 2008 9:37 pm

i always thought it (gov't cheese) had a funny off taste to it when you just ate it cold.

canned meat products kinda scare me.
Posted: Aug 25, 2008 11:05 pm

My mom used to try to convince me that I couldn't tell the difference when she made powdered milk or mixed it 50/50 with real milk.

Um...yes I can.

Thankfully we never had to try the gov't cheese, but I think I must have been 6 or 7 before the white and black cans of generic food were completely gone from our house.

I love me some deviled ham, oh yes I do!
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 5:28 am

the cheese was perfect for grilled sandwiches. canned meat was perfect sandwich fixins too. heat that shit up on the stovetop, slap between 2 slices of bread and youre good to go! powdered milk was good for cooking only. we got usda surplus shit from the local food pantry as recently as 3 years ago. this pic dates for posterity our last visit as 1/25/2005. these nachos were made entirely with free food for poor people.
http://img33.picoodle.com/data/img33/3/8/26/f_PNm_15fa477.jpg
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 6:30 pm

Did you get that pic from the "Don't Eat That!" thread?
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 8:00 pm

chunks of powdered milk = the worst
you gotta stir that shit and make it ice cold if you're gonna drink it

I always just used it in recipes that called for milk
Posted: Aug 27, 2008 8:36 pm

I love me some deviled ham
i thought that was strictly for fishing trips?
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 9:27 am

I love me some deviled ham
i thought that was strictly for fishing trips?

I remember eating at a Nana's house more than fishing trips. My fishing fare was usually Dr. Pepper and Chocodiles (that smelled like the bait shop) and whatever kind of sandwich mom made me take.
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 10:13 am

deviled ham is in a food group all it's own..you had to drink that pow milk ice cold and really fast..caint just sip on that shit..my grandfthr used to put it in his scotch
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 10:32 am

my grandfthr used to put it in his scotch

holy crap! that almost made me hurl...

Thank God We've never had P-Milk in the house. Even at our most broke ass, we still had milk delivered from the dairy the old fashioned way, by the Milkman. Had one of those insulated milk boxes on our front porch, that he would leave the glass bottles in.

I only remember one time that we we broke enough to receive goverment food; Didn't get cheese, just peanut butter (& maybe butter). At least that's were I assumed where that odd tub of PB in the black & white cannister came from. Didn't ask & the folks didn't tell.

I still say Goverment cheese was good eats! Even if it was a solid chunk of lard dyed orange. That's what my college health teacher said anyway.
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 10:33 am | Edited by: Miss Strange

oops double posted, not worth reading 2x, so i deleted the 2nd one
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®