Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Aug 10, 2008 7:59 pm

a peach tree around the corner from me (in an empty lot) fell down and i've gathered about 15 pounds of peaches.

i just made a peach crisp.
i will make some pies
and jam
and chutney
and salsa
and cobbler

i made a killer peach confit the other night, too.

what else can i make w/ these things?
Posted: Aug 10, 2008 8:36 pm

make this!
Posted: Aug 10, 2008 9:54 pm

make some peach ice cream
Posted: Aug 11, 2008 11:18 am

make some peach ice cream

this is a MUST!
Posted: Aug 11, 2008 1:05 pm

grill em. add some marscapone. enjoy.
Posted: Aug 11, 2008 1:32 pm

how about infused vodka?
Posted: Aug 11, 2008 2:13 pm

Whatever ya do, don't play any records by that Peaches broad!
Posted: Aug 11, 2008 2:49 pm

we did a grilled peach demo at the nashville farmers market for an episode of a future television program about local food....

yeah - i luv me some grilled peaches. we grilled em and had them with ricotta & honey...

infused vodka - YEAH.. why did i not think of that?

i'm gonna go with sorbet / granita rather than ice cream. i don't have the taste for fruit ice cream; i'm strictly a vanilla ice cream gal.

thanks for the suggestions. please keep em coming!
Posted: Aug 11, 2008 2:58 pm

anybody need any peach shine? come get you sum
Posted: Aug 11, 2008 4:10 pm

I would say skip the peach salsa, it's usually not so good. Have you ever thought about canning them? It's a lot easier to do than you'd think, if you've got a few glass jars, a stove, a pot and some sugar, you could have delicious peach preserves all year long.
Posted: Aug 11, 2008 6:48 pm

you don't know peach salsa till you've tasted mine! have it with pork. terrific flavor combo

it was something we demo'd at the nashville farmers market also
grilled peach salsa
peaches
habaneros (well, just one)
onions
all grilled
a little sherry vinegar
a little lime
salt

as re: canning - i don't have the space
Posted: Aug 12, 2008 1:39 pm

I've had some amazing peach salsa... mmm now I'm craving it.
Posted: Aug 14, 2008 12:28 pm

Big Red Peaches!

The final track, "Big Red Peaches," ends this strangely beautiful CD with a goofy, fried-funk twist, as if Mitchell is tweaking our noses to rouse us from the moodiness.

http://music.barnesandnoble.com/Nine-to-Get-Ready/Roscoe-Mitchell-the- Note-Factory/e/731453972520
Posted: Aug 17, 2008 12:28 am

i don't like fresh peaches.

CANNED PEACHES I LOVE!

cue stranglers ri nooowwww!
Posted: Aug 17, 2008 3:37 am

i eat 'em uncooked just like an apple.
just bought some today!
Posted: Aug 17, 2008 10:07 am

peach hoooch! this guy i worked with learned how to make this in jail..take your bruised peaches and throw them in a pot say 5..add a real yeasty stale bread half cup a sugar.if you want to get fancy throw lemongrass or ginger ..whatever .cover with water and bring to boil..after boil put in a big pickle jar and place in the window or somewhere warm..let it cook..burp it every six hours or it'l explode..taste it after four days may take longer..you will know when its done it goes from really gross to fragrent alchl sweet tone...strain out..chill..bonne chance..cautin side affects may include blindness, chapped lips, stupidity, sudden vomiting, shin splints, cat scratch fever, impotence, GONEREA.
Posted: Aug 17, 2008 10:58 am | Edited by: Paul Lips

Go to a finer grocer or a cheese shoppe and get some St. Andre Triple Creme.
Posted: Aug 17, 2008 12:33 pm

i have gone through all the peaches
yes, i had plenty of em fresh - as is

but i've made:

peach chutney
peach salsa
peach granita
bellinis
peach smoothies
peach compound butter (had w/ grilled fish. yum)
and i still have a bunch that i sliced and sprinkled w/ lemon juice and ascorbic acid (to keep them from turning brown) - which we eat w/ various cheeses, ice cream, cake, etc etc

i'm gonna try the peach hooch oh yeah

waiting for that tree to be harvest-able again

finally, i read up on planting my own peach tree from the pits. am germinating all the pits now as the ratio is not in my favor. maybe out of the dozens of pits i have, 5 will germinate, and of those 5 - maybe 1 will really grow
Posted: Aug 17, 2008 8:16 pm

we tried that shit with avacodos i had this yankee in my kitchen and she had all these fucking pits in the windowsil sitting in water... maybe 20..of that 1 sprouted then rotted...bonne chance..but you can sub rice for bread to make sake hooch..if'n a person was in the mood for that sort of thng
Posted: Aug 17, 2008 11:16 pm | Edited by: Theresa K

i've grown many many avocados from pits - got little trees to a certain point before dogs would tear em up

but maybe that's because i grew up so very close to la conchita, which is where probably 90% of the haas avocados in the USA come from... you know - halo effect of growing ability, or the soil / right conditions, whatever.

as for the peaches... i'm going to give it a try.... can't hurt, and if they take WHOO HOO!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®