Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Tuna Steak Help
Posted: Aug 3, 2008 2:35 pm

Whatchoo think... a quick coat in soy sauce with about 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder and a salt and pepper rub before searing? i don't have any fresh ginger right now. What about a quick rub with crushed garlic in addition to the other stuff?
Posted: Aug 3, 2008 2:38 pm

Save the soy for after it's cooked. You just want some simple flavors so you don't mask the flavor of the tuna. GEt your pan or grill REALLY hot to sear it.
Posted: Aug 3, 2008 2:47 pm

thanks. should i just use some soy sauce for dipping? is the garlic and ginger powder and salt and pepper gonna be good?
Posted: Aug 3, 2008 2:48 pm

also, is it ok to use olive oil if the pan is gonna be scorching, or should i use canola?
Posted: Aug 3, 2008 2:50 pm

how about a tuna steak coated with cracked black pepper?

tuna steak au poivre! its fantastic.
rub it w/ olive oil and coat w/ big ass cracked black peppercorns
sear
enjoy - yes soy on the side. also great w/ salsa
Posted: Aug 3, 2008 2:50 pm

i'd use canola oil or ghee
Posted: Aug 3, 2008 2:56 pm

ghee wiz!
Posted: Aug 3, 2008 6:29 pm

went with the au poivre... tuna was cooked perfectly, but that was way too much pepper. not what i expected, but i just wasn't thinking properly. was really good after i scraped a bunch of it off! i think next time i'll go with some chinese 5 spice and a coating of sesame seeds.
Posted: Aug 3, 2008 8:34 pm

chinese 5 spice and a coating of sesame seeds.

genius
Posted: Aug 4, 2008 9:52 am

pretty basic, ain't it?

also if i do that, should i be liberal with the 5 spice, or use it sparingly? do i still use s&p?
Posted: Aug 4, 2008 11:17 am

what i would do is put a shake of the 5 spice in about 2 tablespoons of oil (olive or canola) - let the flavors marry and then rub the tuna steak w/ that - and then coat w/ the sesame seeds

the oil is a really great host for the spice
Posted: Aug 4, 2008 11:25 am

excellent advice. will do it real soon. thanks!
Posted: Aug 5, 2008 12:31 pm | Edited by: miss linda

When ever I do tuna steaks, I like to blanch them in hot oil , then I stick them In the oven at 450 degrees for 2 hours, and then boil them till they fall apart into little pieces ( about 3 hours).

MMMMMMMMM TUNA STEAKS.
Posted: Aug 5, 2008 2:48 pm

roflmfao
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®