Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Jul 23, 2008 1:39 pm

I am going to DC next month for 5 days--most of which will be spent in a hotel in seminars--but the evenings are free. What are some must sees, eats, visits, shops, particularly in the Adams-Morgan or close by neighborhoods?
Posted: Jul 23, 2008 2:25 pm

Posted: Jul 23, 2008 2:27 pm

http://www.benschilibowl.com/

he beat me to it. seriously, that place is the best.

does anyone know if Burrito Brothers is still good? maybe it was never good, but as a drunk teenager I thought it was pretty awesome.
Posted: Jul 23, 2008 5:33 pm

West African style!

Ghana Cafe
2465 18th St. NW
Fu-fu & kenke (kind of tamale like) You'll love it!

some good Jamaican restaurants, but they are usually up in the far north corner of DC, which is also where Crisfield's is, if you want heart-attack type fresh fried seafood

Also, don't forget about all them free museums, and in summer they're usually open until 9:00.
Go by and give the White House the finger
Posted: Jul 23, 2008 7:02 pm | Edited by: saispas

Ghana Cafe
2465 18th St. NW

Is this near the Wardman Park Hotel (Woodley Rd NW at Connecticut)?
Posted: Jul 23, 2008 8:03 pm | Edited by: Womb Raider

yeah that's pretty damn close. lots of other stuff over in that cleveland park area too. pharmacy bar a couple blocks down 18th is a good place for drinkin too.
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 7:54 am

went to some ethiopian place in silver spring that was fantabulous, but i can't remember the name. hey, what was that train car diner in silver spring called? didn't they move it when they gutted downtown? THAT place was fucking great! my favorite bar in DC is still the raven.
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 11:34 am

train car diner in silver spring

Tastee Diner, I think there's still one in Bethesda

MD is the black hole of suburbia
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 1:20 pm

MD is the black hole of suburbia

there is that bar in rockville that used to be a general store/church/jail called hank deddles(sp?). cool place.
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 2:07 pm

For some reason, I fell in love with St. Ex, which is convinently down the street from the Black Cat. Their food is pretty expensive, but they have a delicious (!!!) burger for under ten bucks. They also have a set price menu, as well, which is delicious---something like 3 courses including desert for 30 bucks. It's worth it if you want to feast. They also have a great beer selection.
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 2:09 pm

Hank Deedle's Cold Beer.

still there, I think. Rest of the area is paved hell.
and they call it "North Bethesda" now. Rockville was too plebian, even if Joan Jett was from there.

Yesterday & Today records is long gone. That fat guy, Skip, was one of the worst attitude-wise record store clerks I've ever had to hand my money too. Some good bootlegs, tho.

I think he stole all of Ian McFaye's food
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 5:42 pm

For some reason, I fell in love with St. Ex

I am in love with that name alone. I will be with my manager, but she can drink me under the table, so bar suggestions, keep bringing.
Posted: Aug 4, 2008 1:28 pm

HOnestly, the only bar I went to in DC was the Black Cat. That was because Al Budd (our only friend) worked there and always hooked us up. If you go on friday, he barbacks. The other bartenders were always great there as well. I'm sure there are other decent bars...I just do not know them.
If you want good Ethiopian, I suggest Dukem on 12th and U. IO think that is the corner, but I'm sure you can look it up. Cheap and delicous! Good pizza: Two Amy's---open kitchen brick oven style pizza off Wisconsin ave, i think. Great meats and cheeses, wines, etc. All the servers looked very cool and I always wondered where they hung out because we never saw them around (again, we went to ONE bar--that may be why!) Again, you would have to look up the location. I loved Logan tavern for a delicious hangover brunch, and if you are into being fancy, or at least eating the best brunch of your life, I would have to suggest Tabbard Inn---you may need reservations there. I literally had one of the most delicious meals of my life there. But, it's pretty expensive. RE: Adams morgan...never went there. Actually, I went once and never returned. A good cheap place everyone goes is Diner, or I forget the proper name, but if you ask around, people will know. It's on the strip and they have good diner food. Asylum is supposed to have good punk djs. I mean, it really depends on your budget. One thing Chris and I did in DC which ruled, was ate...but we tended to go to a lot of nicer restaurants. Mostly because that was our main form of entertainment, and as compared to NY, you can't really find cheap good food in DC---everything is expensive! OH, we used to always go to this great Belgian place calledd GRanville Moores on H street---which is sort of like the new up and coming "punk" (ha!) area. There are a ton of bars (mostly totally cheesy) in the area, except there is this place right next door to GM's which is called The Pug. That place has been pretty fun.
Posted: Aug 4, 2008 6:11 pm

All I will be doing for fun is eating and drinking, sooooo...one night I am going out with my godmother Barbara who works for the Justice Dept and just got back from a two month long consulting gig in ABU DHABI, so I plan on having some Sheik Money pay for a meal one night.
Posted: Aug 5, 2008 4:01 am

after we got high
we got hungry and
drove to the negro
section, nw, i think.

one of our gang was
from the deep south and
the deep fry chitlins
was his fave, so there
was this deep fry take out
joint, i went for the crab cakes
Posted: Aug 25, 2008 5:16 pm

We are going to Dukem at my suggestion tonight. Went to Lebanese Taverna for lunch which was very good. This city is begging me to be with actual friends however and not "work people".
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 2:01 pm

Ah! Lebanese Taverna is great!! I hope you enjoy Dukem!
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 2:04 pm

ALSO, make sure, if you are able, to go to Black Cat tomorrow nite. Al is working behind the bar and it's pretty laid back. SHould you end up going, please say hi for me (Jami). THANKS!
Posted: Aug 31, 2008 8:00 pm

Dukem RULED. There was live music AND dancers who changed costumes for EVERY SINGLE DANCE. The green backlit DUKEM sign behind the bar was a total inspiration. I walked down and took pix of Ben's Chili Bowl and met an owner/relative of an owner. She said they bought the building on the other side of them and are making a Ben's Chili Bowl SPORTS BAR!!!!
Posted: Sep 1, 2008 9:47 am

Ben's Chili Bowl SPORTS BAR!!!!

dc is so "awesome"...
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®