Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Jul 14, 2008 4:06 pm

Never really do it. I usually just throw the steaks on the grill and add seasoning while they cook. What am I really missing out on?
Posted: Jul 14, 2008 4:13 pm

Nasty salty steak
Posted: Jul 14, 2008 6:47 pm

That's what I thought. Closest I get to an fancy pre-prep is soaking them in some beer.
Posted: Jul 14, 2008 11:43 pm

I like 'em soaked in red wine and wooster, mebbe a little garlic in there. Not too long, though. An hour is just about right.
Posted: Jul 15, 2008 12:16 am

i marinate steaks in either a red wine thingie or a soy-wasabi-honey mixture - couple hours before grilling em.

what i do like though, as far as "rubs" - is rubbing them with a mixture of ground espresso-roast coffee beans, ancho chilis and some cinnamon. i grind it all myself in a coffee grinder (using bark-style cinnamon and my own home grown poblanos that i've dried) and then toss that with some sea salt (or kosher salt - just the big grains is what i'm looking for) - grind really fine and rub the steak with it. its unbelievable.
Posted: Jul 15, 2008 12:51 am

any of the rubs you can get here are very good, go to piggly wiggly and look around
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 6:04 pm

i put montreal steak seasoning and lea + perrins on em like 45 minutes before grilling.
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 7:23 pm

pepper, lawrys, and a little butter while they cook
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 11:37 am

porcini powder rosemary lil bals vingr and x vrgin earl smoked black peppa and fish testicles
Posted: Jul 19, 2008 11:39 am

Hey Dale,
all those suggestions sound good,
here's a suggestion that may suprise you.
rub blackened seasoning (the cheaper the better) on rib eyes, then cracked black peppercorns and place them in a super hot iron skillet.
......oh and turn the vent on, it's gonna smoke like Tommy Chong.

This is pretty common.
You may have already done this.

ground espresso-roast coffee beans, ancho chilis [/i]

I saw Ken Lumpkin doing something alot like T.K.'s suggestion last month.
Posted: Jul 19, 2008 4:44 pm

I soaked them in stuff all the time. Just never saw the big deal about putting seasoning all over them before they cook. WHile they're cooking though is right on.

I do have my own special concoction....and there's always Spike too.

Lawrys?
Posted: Jul 19, 2008 6:45 pm

Posted: Jul 19, 2008 8:15 pm

We do 'em with brown sugar, cumin and chili powder, I believe.
Posted: Jul 20, 2008 9:41 pm

Soak 'em for 2-3 hours in a can of coke, 1/4 c of brown sugar, ground smoked red cayenne peppers. The season lightly with a mixture of freshly crushed black peppercorns, kosher salt, powdered thyme, garlic & onion powders, cilantro, and sweet basil. Sear in a mixture of olive oil and butter, then grill. Good stuff.
Posted: Jul 20, 2008 9:51 pm

What cuts are we talking?
I generally like "beef" flavored steak.
Posted: Jul 20, 2008 10:05 pm

Posted: Jul 20, 2008 11:55 pm

http://www.lawrys.com/images/Products/product_137_closeup.jpg

Oh, okay. That's what I thought. I don't like that stuff. SPIKE! is the way to go.
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 5:01 pm

I usually soak my steaks in a solution of 5% anti-freeze, 2% gasoline, and 90% beef broth. The rest of the marinade is kind of a perverted secret but I do sprinkle a little rat poison in there.
I let it soak for about 10 hours, chop it ub into delicious bite sized morsels and feed it to the dogs of my neighbors I don't like the looks of.
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 5:20 pm

it's OK to rub your meat.
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 7:32 pm

i LIKE RETARDED COW MEATs!
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 7:37 pm

If you are marinating a steak, it must still have welts from where the jockey was whipping it. Salt, pepper maybe a little rub with crushed clove of garlic. Cayenne or ancho, sure. The coffee sounds interesting. If you have to marinate in any sort of liquid to tenderize it, it must be one shitty piece of meat. Of course I'm talking about a regular steak, ie ribeye, strip, tbone, filet, etc. Flank steak, skirt, etc, they need some acidic stuff to help tenderize and break down the connective tissue. My favorite steak is a 1 lb ribeye cooked rare with a baked potatoe.
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 8:43 pm

I like Burger King
Posted: Mar 27, 2019 11:33 am

Posted: Apr 4, 2019 10:36 pm

Good clip.
Posted: Jun 7, 2019 5:04 pm

for god's sake, a decent steak does not need to be rubbed.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®