Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / soy flour - ever use it?
Posted: Jun 8, 2008 12:17 am

i've been trying to come up w/ a cookie or cake recipe for diabetics and soy flour has the right carb index BUT man does it taste like dirt in a cake

i made an experimental little batch of tea cakes last night and substituted soy flour in the recipe. they were dry and awful - and even soaking them in syrup like you'd do a baba rum didn't help

has anyone ever baked w/ soy flour and other diabetic-friendly ingredients ? and did you get a result where the thing was tender and moist?

if there is no answer, i'll just leave the diabetics out in the cold as far as dessert is concerned (that's why god invented the cheese course)
Posted: Jun 8, 2008 1:03 pm

baba rum... no sale! couldn't believe it
Posted: Jun 8, 2008 3:08 pm

as a last-ditch effort to do something anything with those dry cakes, i tried constructing a sort of tiramisu with the cocoa carob soy flour made tea cakes. soaked them in espresso flavored simple syrup. still no dice. they have pockets of dry that just refused to get moistened.

either it was a bad recipe or the soy flour needs so much compensating for, its not worth it

i'm ditching the concept of baking with soy flour
diabetics can buy their (cardboard) cake from someone else
Posted: Jun 10, 2008 4:57 pm | Edited by: elle

eek. i've heard of subbing a little bit of soy flour mixed into the rest of the flour (usually whole wheat and only about 1/3 of the mixture would be soy flour) for diabetics, but never subbing out the whole batch. i guess it's because of the problem with the same kinda results that you had. eek.

you could do a flourless individual chocolate cake, but you would have to sub in splenda and then use semisweet and unsweetened chocolate for it. i have a recipe for that SOMEWHERE. my cousin and uncle are both diabetics and i make treats for them on the occasion. the recipe comes out surprisingly great. splenda translates pretty well in baking for whatever reason, but i know that a lot of people frown upon it.

you can also sweeten certain desserts using fruit juice too, which would certainly cut down on the carb index as well. and apple sauce works well in diabetic desserts too.
Posted: Jun 10, 2008 8:28 pm

Floating around somewhere out there in my family is an applesauce chocolate cake that is supposed to be diabetic friendly. I'll ask around.
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 12:13 pm

i refuse to bake with splenda as i believe the half-life of the fake part of splenda is more dangerous as a carcinogen than having diabetes.

i know that superficially, baking with splenda is like baking with sugar, but the chemical transformations into creating that... well, that's really really scary. i might personally use splenda on breakfast cereal (cold) - but combining splenda and anything that's hot is venturing into danger territory

i'm trying to work on recipes using agave as a sweetener - all the other options have a strange after taste (like stevia - yuk yuk yuk)

fruit and fruit juice do have a pretty high glycemic index -- i am working with a diabetic person on these and the list of what's good and not for them is ridiculous! i'm really surprised that the applesauce recipes are diabetic friendly... i'd love to make the dessert and also get the nutritional break-down

as for combining whole wheat and soy flours -- i do that and its fine - but still, the whole wheat flour has way too many carbs and i think i do have to either go flourless or all-soy.

i'm no big fan of soy (except for edamame), so this is an uphill battle for me anyway

thanks for suggestions and any recipes you can throw my way
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 12:36 pm

I bake gluten-free...WAYYY easier than diabetic, from the sound of it. Bean flours don't taste good...ever taste garbanzo? Bleecchhh!
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 1:42 pm

i just imagined a throwdown with bobby flay i'd like to see: gluten free and/or diabetic friendly. yeah! of course, he'd overpower whatever with habaneros... you'd never taste the chick-pea flour
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®