Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: May 25, 2008 10:09 pm

Finally got one today! It is a cute little thang with a small "side grill" I am so excited to use it. Got some charcoal, some jack daniels wood chips a cheap set of tongs/grill kit and a chimney for starting the coals. Woohoo! Everybody come over now and we'll cook out!
Posted: May 25, 2008 11:29 pm

pictures!
Posted: May 26, 2008 12:26 am

'Bout time.
Posted: May 26, 2008 11:29 am

It's not nearly as impressive as the link I posted of the one I wanted. If we end up using it a bunch then we'll definitely upgrade to something a little bigger.
Posted: May 26, 2008 11:31 am | Edited by: Windy

castigate me later for getting it at walmart

we are firing it up today. This will be my first attempt without having my dad over my shoulder hollering "advice" and well meaning cuss words
Posted: May 26, 2008 12:02 pm

your gonna have the best time ever and will probably use it non stop to expertise level!!!
bbq rules...
you need that damn chimney thing that i got coz of this goner site. that thing smokes out the whole block but it rules for firing up the charcoal
Posted: May 26, 2008 12:23 pm

"advice" and well meaning cuss words

thats MY forte!
Posted: May 26, 2008 3:24 pm

windy i'm loving your grill.
i need a new one
i'm using the "i live in a white trash hood" as the excuse for buying it at walmart, which is a mere 3 miles from me. can't beat the price

hope you're having a good cookout
we did that yesterday and i'm glad we did since we have a thunderstorm right now
Posted: May 26, 2008 3:44 pm

if you liked that one, check this one out - it is cheaper and if I had seen it at the store, I would have opted for it because of the shelf that runs along the length of the cooker vs the little side one on the one we bought.

either way, the offset box was mandatory for getting indirect heat for bbq. they had a bigger model that was about $40 more, but for our little yard, this is the perfect size. Spock's yard could handle the bigger one. FYI it took the milionaire about an hour and a half to put it together, and he's handy with that kind of stuff.
Posted: May 26, 2008 4:03 pm

thanks windy... will check out the alternative. we are willing to spend about $150 to upgrade our current grilling facilities. thankfully there's no shortage of handyman dudes in the hood. will trade BBQ for assembly. that should work
Posted: May 26, 2008 5:05 pm

here's my grill
its getting kinda rusty, thinking about going propane propane this summer
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/1695/lbc0c8df57e45c55c84b3daxd0.jpg
Posted: May 26, 2008 5:34 pm

I have a basic Weber charcoal kettle, but it's all ramshackle and trashed.

I wanna get a propane propane grill that (I can use while we remodel our kitchen) can be converted to natural gas when the new deck is done.
Posted: May 26, 2008 6:02 pm

if you liked that one, check this one out - it is cheaper and if I had seen it at the store, I would have opted for it because of the shelf that runs along the length of the cooker vs the little side one on the one we bought.

that's the grill i got. :) i love it.
Posted: May 26, 2008 6:14 pm

we are willing to spend about $150 to upgrade our current grilling facilities.

well, hell! get the bigger one or get a small one and a smoker. y'all could do some real damage with one of those.

invest in some fruit wood sticks to compliment your charcoal.I liked the flavor and smell that the jack daniels wood chips gave, but i really need to find some apple wood. Not sure where to find it around here. Might just steal some from dad next time we are in memphis.

oops...this is windy
Posted: May 26, 2008 7:12 pm

invest in some fruit wood sticks to compliment your charcoal

back in brooklyn, i had 4 fruit-bearing trees and we would use the branches on the fire. we had a weber charcoal kettle. we smoked chickens w/ peach wood, duck w/ fig wood... just about everything got mulberry smoked... these days, its pretty much the jack daniels wood chips, although since i started harvesting my herb garden, i'm throwing the stems of the hardy stuff (rosemary, etc) on the coals and also setting up a little thing w/ a water dish filled w/ the herb stems

windy - you guys got cherry trees in your part of michigan?
Posted: May 26, 2008 8:13 pm

don't know, but cherry wood is high on my list for cooking out
Posted: May 26, 2008 9:05 pm

I finally my rusty old Weber copy (after Stef telling me to do it for months now cuz we got the actual Weber now) out to the curb last Wednesday night (trash day is Thurs. morn) and it was gone within an hour of putting it out. I like to believe that somewhere in this broke down town it's still being used (either that or it got sold for scrap metal).

Been using apple wood (a friend of mine cut down some trees he had growing on his land. I helped so got some of the wood) as my smoking wood lately.

I've always wondered about using Maple. Everyone I've asked says they've never had.
Posted: May 27, 2008 9:26 am

I've always wondered about using Maple. Everyone I've asked says they've never had.

I think it burns kind of hot, never used it. I like hickory the best, although fruit wood is great for pork. Oak os fine, I don't care for mesquite, it'v very popular down here, but I think it leaves a weird oily taste especially on stuff like brisket that Texans tend to oversmoke.
Posted: May 27, 2008 9:36 am

agree on that oily flavor, but i love mesquite, just don't use too much of it. maybe a chunk or 2 for a hint of flavor.
Posted: May 27, 2008 10:17 am

In Louisiana people swear by Pecan wood. I like Hickory the best too, I was weaned on carolina bbq.
Posted: May 27, 2008 11:28 am

i've heard people on the circuit using all but the maple. whatever you like and some works better for different meat.

Inaugural grill usage last night:

I used way too many coals, got my cooker way too hot. I threw in a small handful of the jack daniel's wood chips just for the hell of it. I put some in-husk corn on the grill first and then got out the brats and hot dogs after a while. All my helpers were in the house or otherwise occupied, so walked off to get some stuff from in the house. When I came back the hot dogs were on fire. I burned up a couple of brats too. . oh well, i got to play with fire for a while. Luckily the Millionaire likes burnt hot dogs and brats. By the time I remembered about the corn, it had gone cold, but the smoke flavor in everything was right on.

I definitely need more practice.
Posted: May 27, 2008 11:59 am

i only use the rarest of honduran mahogany and african bubinga woods.
Posted: May 27, 2008 12:26 pm

in my part of california, its all about the oak

we have 2 maple trees in nashville and i've often wondered about using them on the fire, but i guess not now
Posted: May 27, 2008 12:28 pm

In Louisiana people swear by Pecan wood
It's good, I have a big 'ol Pecan in my front yard. You can throw the shells on the coals, too.
Posted: May 27, 2008 1:31 pm

I have a big 'ol Pecan in my front yard.

we gotta big ol pecan tree in the backyard and we've used the shells and wood before. i do like it.

i've got apple chips, hickory, and mesquite (a bag of each) that we play around with. we also just killed off a bag of woodchips made from the old barrels from mcilhenny's tabasco, which was okay. most of the stuff we happened to grill was already spiced up pretty well as it was so i couldn't really tell if it added anything to it.

hickory is my favorite, but apple is nice too sometimes.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®