Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Ernestine & Hazel's = best bar in U.S., according to Esquire.com
Posted: May 22, 2008 11:25 am

Posted: May 22, 2008 11:53 am

I don't remember if I've ever gone in there.

if I have though, that means I've been in three of their top 7 bars in the u.s.
I may have even been in that bar in oxford, which would make 4.

I don't know if that's something to be proud of or not.
Posted: May 22, 2008 11:59 am

wasn't everyone there for that white stripes show, even if they weren't there?
Posted: May 22, 2008 12:00 pm

Those people(Esquire.com) don't get out much.
Posted: May 22, 2008 12:01 pm

Those people(Esquire.com) are frat boys.
Posted: May 22, 2008 2:32 pm

i've been to 1 bar in arizona, 8 of the bars in california, 2 in georgia, 1 in massachussets, 2 in mississippi, 13 of the bars in new york and 1 in ohio

martel - does this mean i'm drunker than you?
Posted: May 22, 2008 7:32 pm

Not likely!

It does mean you like frat boys more than me though.
Posted: May 22, 2008 9:11 pm

weird. i've been to a few of the places. i don't think they're all that great. i know some other watering holes i'd rather hang out at.
Posted: May 22, 2008 10:01 pm

actually - i've been to most of those bars because they were expense account outings. i suppose that is the work place equivalent of a fraternity.

but the beachland ballroom & tavern in cleveland is on that list and they have the best FREE jukebox in the country - not to mention that i've seen dozens of amazing shows there... no frat rat in sight

then there's the earl in atlanta. i've seen goner folk in there...
Posted: May 22, 2008 10:11 pm

Murff's in Oxford is way better than Proud Larry's.
Posted: May 22, 2008 11:03 pm

Zeitgeist, SF?? OK... but did they renovate the patio in red crushed velvet or something? El Rio has a much better patio, and great dives abound in the Mission...Zeitgeist is for Puck from Real World and the rest of the tribally tattooed, ear-plug heads.
Posted: May 23, 2008 8:03 am

but the beachland ballroom & tavern in cleveland is on that list and they have the best FREE jukebox in the country - not to mention that i've seen dozens of amazing shows there... no frat rat in sight

Love that place. Mark is the man.
Posted: May 23, 2008 9:13 am

Love that place. Mark is the man.

mark loves you too!

oh, and didn't we have one interesting time there back in your reigning sound days? (we, as in the RS & me)
Posted: May 23, 2008 4:19 pm

La Gitana ain't nothing that scary
what a bunch of wimps
Posted: May 25, 2008 10:34 am

Esquire are f-ing stupid. Any damn fule know The Lamplighter, Wild Bill's, Buccaneer, Big S Grill, P&H and even the late-lamented Beer Joint should rate higher than Ernestine & Hazel's!

Wolf Corner!
Posted: May 25, 2008 11:27 am

i LOVE the lamplighter, but you can't get a martini there unless you bring the stuffs and make it yourself... probably completely works against it in the "rating" procedure

besides, you know damn well that the criteria for esquire basically eliminates ANYTHING most people here would deem "best" for a bar.

i am still confused as to why the beachland is on that list.

never been to ernestine & hazel's so i can't say
Posted: May 27, 2008 11:06 pm

E&H is beer only as well... gotta stop into Frank's Liquors up the street for the strong stuff. funniest thing about that article to me was the fact that they ran a photo that said EARNESTINE & Hazels, then left the 'A' out of Earnestine in the write-up... fun place, but I shudder to think that it's the best bar in America...
Posted: May 28, 2008 9:59 am

fun place, but I shudder to think that it's the best bar in America..

probably the guy who wrote the piece, or was in charge of rating the bars got lucky/luckier there than anywhere else. isn't that really the way those ratings things go?
Posted: May 28, 2008 11:22 am

probably the guy who wrote the piece, or was in charge of rating the bars got lucky/luckier there than anywhere else. isn't that really the way those ratings things go?

Dunno, depends which way he swings his pencil lead!
Posted: May 28, 2008 2:53 pm

I shudder to think that it's the best bar in America...

you've haven't seen some of these yuppie scum places in Cali that replaced the old fart bars.

$12 drinks!
staffed by "mixologists"

However I can recommend the Hemlock Tavern, they pour a good stiff one and have a 24/7 free jukebox with The Pagans on there
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 12:27 pm

THE HONEY HOLE, lauderdale county gets my vote. Bout 90 minutes northwest of midtown on stilts in the backwater of the Mississippi
Posted: Jun 12, 2008 10:30 am

I give E&H big ups cause I left my wallet there once and got it back the next day suprised to find no one took the cash or my jay out of it. Thanks Ernestine Thanks Hazel
Posted: Jun 12, 2008 1:55 pm

The Old Seelbach bar? Seriously? R.I.P.

I been to those cheezy ones in Nashville.
Posted: Jun 12, 2008 3:30 pm

The Springwater? Pretty good dump of a place.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®