Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / I finally started watching the Food Channel
Posted: May 19, 2008 4:48 pm

I have finally succumbed, and started watching the Food Channel. I've always resisted before because I don't need to be looking at a bunch of food all the time.
It is amazing though! There's that drive in and diners show where every single thing looks like you'd fall over the minute you ate it. Hell yeah! Today that guy made a "corn dog" out of homemade pimento cheese and bacon. He patted that up into a pronto pup shape, and then battered and fried it. That sounds like the pearly gates to me!
And I love that semi home cooked meals show. It's all the recipes that I've been finding in the 60s women's magazines I've been cutting lately.
I can't wait to try this:

Baked Potato Soup
2 cans chedder cheese soup
2.5 cups chicken broth
1 potato put in the microwave for eight minutes and then peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
Heat all that up for 10 minutes then top with sour cream and green onions or chives.

Oh yeah. My Nasty Southern Broccoli Casserole doesn't seem so nasty now!
Posted: May 19, 2008 5:14 pm

that woman - sandra lee - semi-home-made
she is a bazillionaire - a real rag to riches story - she invented some curtain rod or hanging thingie...
Posted: May 19, 2008 5:34 pm

she is a bazillionaire
just another reason to love her
Posted: May 19, 2008 5:52 pm

she is fascinating! As is her ratty assed food that I've been trying to perfect for twenty years!
Really. She made bread pudding from store bought cinnamon rolls the other day and served them in martini glasses. Kudos!
Posted: May 19, 2008 5:54 pm

she does like her likker
Posted: May 19, 2008 6:05 pm

yeah. She made kind of dessert shake using Vanilla vodka the other day.
Posted: May 22, 2008 11:08 am

There's that drive in and diners show where every single thing looks like you'd fall over the minute you ate it.

I am waiting for Guy Fieri to fall over. Watching that show and seeing what he eats at those locales, I'm guessing he doesn't live to be 90.
Posted: May 22, 2008 2:23 pm | Edited by: Theresa K

I am waiting for Guy Fieri to fall over

he does commercials for TGI Fridays or some other massive food chain

if ever there's a fall from grace for a foodie, chain restaurants would be it
Posted: May 22, 2008 2:34 pm

if ever there's a fall from grace for a foodie, chain restaurants would be it

Who's that other idiot from the Food Network who does chain stuff? Tyler something, Florence maybe? The one who calls his own stuff "amazing."

Weird thing about that channel - if you watch for any length of time you see commercials for about thirty different people and their shows, but yet you only actually SEE about three of the hosts' shows - Ray, Flay, Emeril, and maybe Alton Brown here and there. When do they air the other shows? Saturday at 4 a.m.?
Posted: May 22, 2008 3:28 pm

I love the food network. I am absolutely addicted to it. Diners' Drive in's and Dives contacted Alex's Tavern around December.

Iron Chef America is the show that I can't miss. I loved the original show when they used to show it here.
Posted: May 22, 2008 3:49 pm

Tyler something, Florence maybe

yup.
he was the executive chef at the very gay, very hip "cafeteria" in NYC - which rumor had that calvin klein was a major investor.
in a weirdo less than 6 degrees of separation creep out for me - the guy who produces tyler florence's show for the food network used to be on my staff at vh1. good producer BUT he'd always but always have the cameras roll when he was in the shot, before the actual interviews started (where he'd be OFF camera) as he was talking to people like jimmy page or robert plant. he has a HUGE collection of video clips of himself talking to old classic rock dudes.

jeremy - the other shows are all on in the AM and in the afternoon, before "prime time" - that's where they have the unbearable ladies

i still have deep and scary memories of my tenure there (1999 relaunch - the anti-man-with-pan campaign... you have me to blame for the template of those "best of" type shows. sorry)
Posted: May 22, 2008 3:56 pm

Weird thing about that channel - if you watch for any length of time you see commercials for about thirty different people and their shows, but yet you only actually SEE about three of the hosts' shows - Ray, Flay, Emeril, and maybe Alton Brown here and there. When do they air the other shows? Saturday at 4 a.m.?
True. Has anyone everseen that Food Network show about BBQ hosted by the Neely family from Memphis? I guess they own Interstate BBQ among others. I've seen several promos for that show, but I have no idea if it's ever actually aired.

I read an interview where Bourdain compared Fieri to Poochie, that "rappin' surfer dog" Homer Simpson voiced on an episode of "Itchy and Scratchy." That's pretty funny and accurate, but I think Fieri is actually that much into what he's into and it's not an act. He is that much of a bro-ham. For some reason, he doesn't annoy me as much as he should. I think I'm willing to forgive a lot of his banter because he goes to such excellent-looking places.
Posted: May 22, 2008 4:00 pm

I think I'm willing to forgive a lot of his banter because he goes to such excellent-looking places.

exactly, and to tie the neely's back in he went to one the sisters place out somewhere in california

haven't seen their show but the family is bbq royalty
Posted: May 22, 2008 4:31 pm

I am waiting for Guy Fieri to fall over.

No kidding! Not even I'm decadent enough to think of a pimento cheese and bacon pronto pup. Also, those seafood places on the east coast where they give you like ten inches of fried stuff on the plate. Yes.

I'm trying to catch that Neely's show. Looks good.
Posted: May 22, 2008 5:10 pm

Has anyone everseen that Food Network show about BBQ hosted by the Neely family from Memphis? I guess they own Interstate BBQ among others. I've seen several promos for that show, but I have no idea if it's ever actually aired.

i saw it yesterday. its actually ON the channel. it makes me salivate.
Posted: May 22, 2008 5:36 pm

As far as I know the Neely's of Interstate fame and the Neely's of Neely's BBQ fame/Food Network are not the same family. I asked someone that at Interstate one day a couple years ago and almost got bitch slapped.
Posted: May 22, 2008 9:43 pm

I am waiting for Guy Fieri to fall over.
I'm waiting for him to get run over...fucking uber-douche...
Posted: May 23, 2008 8:17 pm | Edited by: Mark Rochambeaux

A lot of the good chefs who were on Food Network 10 years ago are gone now. Emeril is going over to sister network Fine Living (reruns will still be on Food, I think), Ming Tsai and Rick Bayless are on PBS, I think Marcus Samuelsson is on Discovery (though I don't think he ever had a show on Food).

Guy Fieri has some actual decent looking recipes. But he is a total douche. The Food web site has a sort of Guy glossary, as in "Money = really cool".

Giada de Laurentiis is pretty hot, and her recipes are very workable for amateurs.
Posted: May 23, 2008 9:33 pm

As far as I know the Neely's of Interstate fame and the Neely's of Neely's BBQ fame/Food Network are not the same family. I asked someone that at Interstate one day a couple years ago and almost got bitch slapped.

the way i've always heard it is the same family

there's a quote in one of their interviews that says they learned from grandma brothers sister aunts and uncles, it may be more of an expanded idea of family though
Posted: May 29, 2008 3:10 pm

fieri did uncle lou's. and the tea shop. or was that mentioned and i missed it? anyone catch those?
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®