Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / pot roast - stove top or in the oven?
Posted: Apr 5, 2008 3:34 pm

is this a preference thing? does one method work better?

i don't have a crock pot here, so i am debating whether to cook this pot roast in the oven or on the stove top.

also - am thinking of making a teriyaki flavored pot roast rather than using tomatoes
Posted: Apr 5, 2008 5:37 pm

My mom always made it in the over. And Teriyaki pot roast just sounds weird...although teriykai short ribs would be another story and they arent that different
Posted: Apr 5, 2008 5:51 pm

we make em in the oven
Posted: Apr 5, 2008 6:13 pm

best ones I have had came from in the oven
Posted: Apr 5, 2008 7:15 pm | Edited by: carney

I used to always do oven, but now I do the stove top instead. I can regulate temp better on top, and then if it's too thin, take the lid off to reduce. Forget your crock pot for this, you have to brown the meat to get some flavor going, another reason that the stove top is more efficient.
Posted: Apr 6, 2008 12:44 am | Edited by: Theresa K

i opted for stove top because i was using the oven to bake - plus, the range here is electric and i have more control, yes!

hey carney - even if i use my crock pot, i still sear meat in the cast iron skillet and then use the crock pot...

what i made was a semi-classic pot roast (or roast pot, as we call it)

seared the meat, which was dredged in flour that was seasoned w/ dry mustard, onion powder, garlic flakes, equal but tiny amounts of both cumin and cinnamon (my favorite flavor combo)

removed hunk o meat, deglazed pan w/ balsamic, then threw in baby carrots and a good shake of herbs de provence.

in the big heavy stock pot that the meat would braise in, i sweated onions in olive oil AND a few strips of chopped bacon, added the carrots, a can of diced san marzano tomatoes (crucial), put the hunk of meat in and added red wine and water til it covered the meat. i added chunks of potato also.

simmered that for a couple hours

served w/ kale sauteed in garlicky olive oil and jalapeno cornbread.

the jus part of the pot roast was a tad oily (bacon), so i made a light roux in another little pot and added the cooking liquid and made a gravy.

as for teriyaki pot roast... i've had a hankering for soy sauce lately. the other day i made a pork loin on the grill that i marinated in soy sauce w/ a bit of sesame oil, dry mustard, onion powder, garlic powder, red pepper flakes and a little coca cola.
Posted: Apr 6, 2008 10:51 am

Sounds good, I skip the tomatoes in mine and I add the potatoes towards the end so that they don't explode. I always do meat, onions, celery, carrots and potatoes. For spices, just salt, pepper, garlic and maybe a bay leaf. Liquids can be water, stock or wine.
Posted: Apr 6, 2008 12:04 pm

i normally don't like tomatoes in roast pot, but since i found we had a can of SAN MARZANO tomatoes in the pantry... i used it. otherwise, i would have skipped them.

i can't recommend enough the SAN MARZANO tomato
Posted: Apr 6, 2008 12:23 pm

this has nothing to do with pot roast, but san marzano tomatoes damn well rule!!!!
Posted: Apr 6, 2008 12:29 pm

Oven. I've never made a pot roast any other way.
Posted: Apr 6, 2008 2:18 pm

I've never made a pot roast any other way.

dale, you gotta expand your cooking repertoire man!

today i'm going back to the grill. its a hamburger & hot dog day. really really nice outside
Posted: Apr 6, 2008 2:37 pm

i usually make mine in a slow cooker and i leave it in there on low for a couple of days. by the time it is done, it's practically falling apart. it's fantastic.

i sometimes make it on the stove though if i'm not wanting to spend 2 days cooking it.

but i always use beef stock and beer and a little sherry. put in the same spices as what carney said: salt, pepper, garlic and a bay leaf. no tomatoes. ugh. and always put in onions and carrots and potatoes.

but the way you did yours sounds great, TK.

and i'm makin a teriyaki chicken later today. yumyumyum.
Posted: Apr 6, 2008 3:07 pm | Edited by: Theresa K

i'm not actually a fan of pot roast, per se... but i got a great deal on the roast when i was in the grocery store yesterday. i was looking for a pork loin and everything they had was just more than i wanted to spend.

i prefer osso bucco for the slow cooked thing... what the marrow does to the sauce is pretty amazing... and even chicken cacciatore (the way i do it - mixing in blood orange juice and balsamic vinegar in the tomato sauce) or coq au vin i normally like better..., don't know why. the pot roast thing never really bowled me over in the same way. maybe i always had it w/ lame meat?

if i'm gonna do beef... i'd rather make a beef stew w/ red wine, potatoes, carrots, onions and if it is spring time, i'll throw in some grean peas during the last few minutes of cooking (boeuf bourginon i guess)

that said... i'm gonna have a serving of left over pot roast so i don't go to the store hungry
Posted: Apr 8, 2008 5:56 pm

Stove top in a cast iron dutch oven. Standard version with fresh rosemary and thyme. I serve mashed taters on the side.
Posted: Apr 9, 2008 1:13 pm

we just finished some leftover pot roast I made on Sunday.
in the oven
in a cooking bag
with 2 large onions, 3 lbs of baby carrots, a bunch of celery. a bay leaf, tons of italian seasoning & seasoned salt. 1/2 cup of water & a splash of wine.
When its done, I open the bag & dump in a can of peas.

With cheesy biscuits on the side. mmmm
though i'm readt for something else... homemade pizzas tonight.
Posted: Apr 10, 2008 5:35 pm

You're a cheesy biscuit.

Woohoo! I finally got a "you're a..."
Posted: Apr 11, 2008 12:55 am

we made one on the stove top yesterday, it turned out great and its all ive been eating for the last day and a half now, pot roast casserole, pot roast sandwiches, etc. lots of horseradish!
Posted: Apr 11, 2008 11:19 am

You're a cheesy biscuit.

Woohoo! I finally got a "you're a..."

awe... I've finally been zinged... I feel so included

tried to post a soundbyte of Apu from the Simpsons saying
"I have been zinged & I have enjoyed it"
but the link didn't work... dag nabbit.

I may turn into a cheesy biscuit after the cheese fest, i've been having. 1st pizza, then cheese steaks & now I've been promising my boyfriend that I'd make cheez-it chicken again & we found cheese curds at TJs, so we're gonna try deep frying them.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®