Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / giving dogs easter candy
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 1:36 pm

I tried to feed booger a whole bag of Whoppers and he liked them at first, but now he won't eat anymore.
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 1:40 pm

when my dog won't take her medicine we have to shove the pills down her throat. that's probably what you should do with the whoppers.
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 1:40 pm

kind of like people
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 1:46 pm

I'll try it! He bites, so this could get tricky!
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 2:27 pm

is there chocolate in a whopper?? i can't remember for some dumb reason but this will kill your doggy. no chocolate anything...NO NO NO!!!!
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 3:09 pm

my mom had a poodle that lived to be 16 years old.
she gave that dog a little halloween sized snickers bar every single day for dessert.

dog lived to be 16 years old. ate chocolate daily.
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 4:38 pm

I've always figured it was like an allergy - worse in some than others. My /my mom's shi tzu gets into chocolate all the time and has never been sick.

The firs time he got some as a puppy I prepared myself to find him dead within minutes, but he just acted totally normal.
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 5:09 pm

maybe shi tzu's and poodles, being pampered human like things can take it and the big burly mastiffs can't! wouldn't that be funny?
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 5:32 pm

Maybe If I starve him of regular food, he'll stop trying to bite me when I force feed him chocolate.
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 8:13 pm

Whoppers? Bah! Why don't you spring for some Peeps?
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 8:47 pm

ok, so the whole chocolate thing i was taught about not giving them to dogs coz i'll fucking kill my dog is a lie???
really?
oh my god. i think i need a moment.
really?
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 8:48 pm

Concentrated dark or baker's chocolate can kill or make a dog super sick. Milk chocolate, while not the best idea ever, won't hurt him...much. My friends beagle polished off a whole giant bowl of Hershey's kisses...foil and all. Her back yard just got sparkly...dog was fine.
Posted: Mar 28, 2008 11:40 am

What about just straight Cocoa powder?

He seems to REALY like that.
Posted: Mar 28, 2008 12:07 pm

hmmm...ok. the great myth is at least slightly debunked for me.
Posted: Mar 28, 2008 12:25 pm

I used to get upset when people would buy vegetarian dog food at the health food store. The only chocolate, or any candy my dog ever ate was a hershey's kiss, I turned my back on him for a second, and he had that foil in his mouth.

Booger eats purina puppy chow, nothing else (one dead bird, and a mole).
Posted: Mar 28, 2008 12:31 pm

ok, so the whole chocolate thing i was taught about not giving them to dogs coz i'll fucking kill my dog is a lie???

Don't feed your dog chocolate
Posted: Mar 28, 2008 2:37 pm

i gave a dog a snickers injected with green food coloring once because green turds are funny
Posted: Mar 28, 2008 4:12 pm

green turds are funny

Yeah, I got a big thrill checking out the toilet the day after St. Patrick's.
Posted: Mar 28, 2008 5:25 pm

yeah, i'm gonna stick with the no chocolate thing.
whats with vegetarian dog food??
Posted: Mar 29, 2008 2:25 pm | Edited by: miss linda

whats with vegetarian dog food??

I know!

Working at a healthfood store for 2 years opened my eyes to how insane some vegetarians are. If a person loves animals so much, why would they feed their own pet something they aint sposed to eat? The latest pet food poisioning was from wheat gluten for jumpin' jesus' sakes.
Posted: Mar 29, 2008 2:31 pm

I also learned that most lesbians are prejudice against straight white males.
Posted: Mar 29, 2008 2:34 pm

I also learned that most lesbians are prejudice against straight white males.
Posted: Mar 30, 2008 1:19 am

you made me laugh...i give my dog nice ass food. i'm totally annoying and uptight about what i feed him but he likes the god damn meat.
Posted: Mar 30, 2008 1:49 am

The latest pet food poisioning was from wheat gluten

Please see Chinese Food thread.
Posted: Mar 31, 2008 12:52 am

fyi, don't give your dog chocolate (esp bakers or dark choc), GRAPES (incl raisins), onion, garlic, and cranberries. grapes / raisins are the worst - a handful could kill them. don't let this give you any ideas.
Posted: Mar 31, 2008 1:16 am

my dog put her front paws on the table tonight and ate a bunch of green grapes... she does it a LOT... she's fine. i also have regularly given all my dogs onion & garlic.

what's the deal w/ all these "don't give your dog" food? a flyer i got at the vet's last week said the same thing about garlic... yet, all my dogs have had garlic and they've all been fine

how much theobromine, caffeine & whatever else is supposedly so toxic to dogs does a dog have to consume (per dog weight, obviously) before it goes into the danger zone? and what about garlic as an ingredient in commercial dog food? i've seen it as an ingredient... there's got to be a better explanation... it all seems like scare tactics to me
Posted: Mar 31, 2008 1:51 am

bray: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_is_chocolate_dangerous_for_dogs_to_eat

look at the bottom, theresa. has the answers on the toxicity of diff. types of chocolate and how much a dog can handle. really, you aren't supposed to give them any, but if they happen to sneak some, it won't kill em in tiny amounts.
Posted: Mar 31, 2008 8:29 am

theresa, grapes are well known to give dogs renal failure. every dog is different, but if your dog eats more than say 5 grapes i would take them to the doctor.

with garlic and onions, onions are the worse of the two and they contain thiosulfate. this can add up in the body to cause hemolytic anemia. it may take a while for adverse effects to show, so you won't see warning signs (such as vomiting) right away. while its true that some dog foods (eg purina) use garlic as an ingredient in their foods, they not only use a low amount but they remove thiosulfate (the offending ingredient) from it first. that said, it would take a LOT of garlic to actually kill your dog, but why even take the risk?

just because you don't see the damage from feeding your animal these things doesn't mean its ok (oops double negative). i worked at a vet hospital and you can believe we saw cases like this come in often.

also saw many animals come in stoned out of their minds from getting into the owner's stash...
Posted: Mar 31, 2008 1:20 pm

.....oh that's labradore man.
Posted: Mar 31, 2008 9:08 pm

are these ingredients bad for humans, too?

the thing i can't abide by is simply an order "don't give XXX to dogs because its bad." i need to know why and what the reasons are, so thanks for giving me the info.

that said... isn't the whole deal about these toxic substances that they are toxic in specific amounts/measures per weight? i mean... dogs ARE scavengers if you let them be. they'll eat anything. and in the same breath... alcohol is bad too... but i'll put good money down that 99% of the folks who post here, lurk here and whatever all drink way more than is "safe" for humans to consume... yet no one jumps on their case the way the whole world seems to when a dog eats a candy bar, or worse yet... you let them.

i'm not picking on anyone... i just find that we have a double standard... its ok for us to fuck up ourselves but we're called on the carpet for giving garlic to dogs. all my life, i've been lead to believe that garlic is a universally good thing to consume.... who knew?
Posted: Apr 1, 2008 12:08 pm

Alpo causes liver failure in hampsters, that's why I feed mine nothing but now & later fruit chews.
Posted: Apr 1, 2008 12:11 pm

but that will pull out all their fillings won't it?
Posted: Apr 1, 2008 3:25 pm

Yes. I've had to take snowball back to the dentist 3 times in the past year!
He told me to feed them Starbursts and Jolly Ranchers instead.no problems so far.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®