Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Your favorite green vegetable and preparation of
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 7:16 pm

Roasted asparagus with olive oil and parm
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 7:19 pm

green olives

on top of a pizza pie
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 7:20 pm

or agave

turned into tequila
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 7:49 pm

yeah, fresh asparagus cooked on the stovetop in a pan with some olive oil and mrs dash.
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 7:50 pm

spinach...
my most frequent preparation is nas-tee! and kind of negates the healthy aspect of spinach. But it is yum-my!
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 9:25 am

I gotta agree with the green olives on pizza idea--unfortunately, so many places around here cop out with only the black.
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 12:16 pm

kale anyway, you can imagine, baked sauteed
it's like spinach that doesn't fall apart
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 3:08 pm

spinach sauteed in butter, but only for a second until it turns slightly softer and darker green. overcooking it kills the goodness of it so don't go overboard.
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 3:14 pm

I usually just steam fresh spinach with a little bit of butter on top.

Asparagus is on the menu for tonight though.
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 4:26 pm

Brussells sprouts.

Slice thin.
Add a little olive oil, some diced garlic and some wheat germ.
Sautee untill tender.

...or just steam 'em.

I like asparagus too. I usually just break the ends off, rinse 'em, and 'wave the whole bunch for 2 minutes.
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 5:01 pm

I gotta agree with asparagus and olive oil, but also garlic.

Lately I've been making a ton of sauteed fresh green beans in a dijon/butter sauce, they're so easy and awesome.
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 5:59 pm

I wish I could get the rest of my family to dig the awesomeness of brussel sprouts.
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 6:43 pm

dijon/butter sauce

Spill it.
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 6:56 pm

spinach sauteed in butter, but only for a second until it turns slightly softer and darker green.

with a little garlic... YUM, same for broccoli

I wish I could get the rest of my family to dig the awesomeness of brussel sprouts.

Me Too...
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 9:33 am

dijon/butter sauce

Spill it.

here's the full recipe, I sometimes alter it based on what I have available (fresh thyme, almonds).

2 lbs trimmed green beans
1/4 cup butter
2 tbs chopped fresh thyme
1 tbs dijon
1 tsp garlic salt
1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted

boil green beans for about 5 minutes, until crisp-tender (or steam)
cool completely in a bowl of ice water, drain
melt butter in skillet on med/high heat
whisk in thyme, mustard, garlic salt
add beans and toss until heated through (about 4 mins)
sprinkle with toasted almonds
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 9:53 am

my signature spinach, which I make 3-4 x a week, as it takes just a minute or so:

1. wash fresh spinach leaves (even if they're already washed, dampen 'em in a colander for a sec - this will help with cooking).
2. shake excess water off, then put in saute pan with a few cloves of chopped garlic and a dash of olive oil.
3. turn heat to medium low, and stir a few times with a wooden spoon, while you're cutting a lemon in half and grating some of the lemon peel with a microplane.
4. squeeze lemon over spinach, add zest and a few healthy shakes of red pepper flakes.
5. mmmm, good! also a perfect backdrop for sauteed shrimp or scallops.

sauteed green beans:
1. be lazy and buy the trimmed green beans in the bag.
2. put 1T sesame oil in saute pan, and turn to medium.
3. add beans, toss occasionally.
4. when beans start to blacken (4-8 minutes), shake about 1 t. soy sauce over 'em, and cook about 1 more minute.

in these grey months, I also roast an eggplant and a box of cherry tomatoes (or, if they look decent, roma tomatoes) weekly. (for eggplants, I cover with Tony Chachere, olive oil, and garlic. tomatoes get 1 t brown sugar, olive oil, balsamic, s&p, and garlic.) roast on 350 for 30-45 minutes, tossing occasionally. perfect to gnosh on in salads, sandwiches, or as a side, and they keep in the fridge all week.

and, when it's really cold, I roast fingerling potatoes, tossed with olive oil, fresh thyme, oregano and rosemary from my garden, kosher salt, and pepper in my cast iron skillet at 400 for 30-40 minutes. absolutely delish as a snack or a side for anything!
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 2:58 pm

quick stir fry chinese spinach with lotsa garlic, asparagus with parm on grill, broccoli any old way, all leafy greens collard kinda style, brussel sprouts with pancetta, veggies veggies veggies. oh! and root ones roasted in olive oil in oven.
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 5:06 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

The one I make the most is green beans outta the can, into the bowl, little pat of butter, little lemon juice and nuke it.

I like the asparagus better, but don't make it as much. Coat with olive oil, salt and pepper and throw it on the grill, or sauteed or roasted...

Top fave has to be greens. Good and porky greens.

Today I scored three jars of Garlic Lady spiced green beans for FREE! I'm totally loving them right now. Dang, those beans go for $5.25 a jar. total score. Yesterday I got 10 jalapeno poppers for a buck, and now this???
Posted: Feb 25, 2008 1:39 pm

Spinach any way, kale, any type of cooking greens really. Asparagus on the grill is always killer. My favorite brussels sprouts recipe is just to cut 'em in half, saute in butter and olive oil, throw in a few spoonfuls of dijon or stone ground mustard and then turn the heat down low and let the sugar from the mustard sort of carmelize. Quick and easy.
Posted: Feb 25, 2008 3:32 pm

ch-ch-chaaaarrdddddddd
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®