Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Good foods for liver health?
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 7:04 pm

I think I am having some issues with the old liver; I have been on a highly toxic (to the liver esp) medication since I was 13 and was never supposed to drink except here and there and well, never followed that rule.

Any special "liver" foods that can help? Supplements? Foods to avoid?
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 7:52 pm

B vitamins. Some interesting material here, though not directly applicable.
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 8:45 pm

Milk Thistle is THEEE best liver detox supplement on the planet.
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 10:37 pm

B vitamins.

really good for the CNS

FUCK YEAH.

stop drinking.
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 10:50 pm

coffee. all the time.
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 12:18 pm

Posted: Feb 22, 2008 12:48 pm

Beet & carrot juice. Beets are key, at least according to the recipe book that came with my juicer. There were other ingredients in there, I'm guessing maybe apple (probably for flavor mostly). I'll try to remember to look for it this weekend.
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 1:07 pm

So, can you just buy a bottle of this milk thistle stuff?
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 1:15 pm

Oh man. Beets. I have had beets ONCE that I liked. I hate pickled beets more than anything. Anyone have a great REAL beets recipe? I love carrots.
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 2:01 pm

Most pickled beets are pretty blah. I've had some Lebanese pickled beets that just plain ruled the world. Nicholas' used to bring out a platter of pickled veggies when you sat down back in the day. They got rosewater in the brine or something, Mmmm.

I've never tried to get them to divulge the brine recipe.
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 2:06 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

Since those hippies at Genesis Juice went outta business, I hardly get any beets in me at all.

I used to LOVE their carrot combo - carrot, beet, celery, etc.

Hmmm, website says they were sposed to come back Oct, 2007....
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 2:06 pm

Oh man. Beets. I have had beets ONCE that I liked. I hate pickled beets more than anything. Anyone have a great REAL beets recipe? I love carrots.
I love all beets, but some folks that don't like the canned type really like baked beets. Just clean them and cut off the stems and bake until they're soft enough. Cut them open and season with salt and pepper and some butter or olive oil. They're kind of like cooked carrots that way. The best part is your peepee will be red for about a day.
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 2:13 pm

Thank you Hugh. I think that is the way I had them; it was at clarklewis in Portland. Fancy schmancy simple-as-hell food.
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 2:15 pm

I use beets in my sweet & sour cabbage soup. Not sure if that's the same a borscht or not. the liver restoring nutrient is betaine Stewing them might maybe reduce the health effects, but this is the only way i'll eat beets... supposedly baking or roasting them is ok though.
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 2:19 pm

http://altmedangel.com/liver.htm

this link, has several suggestions, several mentioned already. It also says what specifically should be done with that coffee... uum... good luck.
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 3:07 pm

the liver is the largest gland in the body. treat it with respect. ie drink lots of good liquor instead of the cheap shit.
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 3:26 pm

Anyone have a great REAL beets recipe?
Brayeet!
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 4:11 pm

So, can you just buy a bottle of this milk thistle stuff?

whole foods or anywhere that smells like a head shop.
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 6:17 pm

or pretty much any place that sells vitamins...i got a bottle of capsules at walgreen's.
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 6:42 pm

Thanks Donkey "Creamy Horseradish Beets" are for me! How could that be wrong?

I saw Milk Thistle at the health food store; that is where I buy my supplements anyways as my doc says not to go to GNC.

Coffee ain't going anywhere, but I am drinking less these days.
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 8:47 pm

I looooooove beets!

Never canned. I get the golden ones a lot. Peel, slice thin, and boil or steam until tender, drain, sea salt and olive oil. I put 'em in a salad with arugula and gorgonzola or Humboldt Fog, balsamic. YUUU-UH-UM!!
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 9:53 pm

I love beets too! I bought a bunch (eyes too big for my tummy) and could only eat about half of em before the other half went bad. I cook like Hugh Jass- pretty much like a baked potato, wrapped in foil & baked in the oven (or on the bbq) until fork tender. Just a little s&p and they are like floating in heaven. I love them. And brussel sprouts. But thats a different thread.
Posted: Feb 24, 2008 7:29 pm

Making some beets now.
Posted: Feb 25, 2008 1:13 pm

I was talking to the herbal medicine dude at the yuppie market by my house and he recommended Turmeric supplements for liver health. It's an antioxidant- he called it a 'blood cleanser' and said it would help improve your skin too. He also recommended burdock root but said that it can bring out impurities in the skin and cause zits while it cleanses you. Milk thistle was another choice but I decided to go with the one that gave the overall antioxidant effect instead of just targeting the liver. In terms of vegetables he recommended artichokes, burdock root and asparagus for detoxing.
Posted: Feb 25, 2008 1:30 pm

Thanks Franny--I am gonna get both the milk thistle and tumeric; is there such a thing as ODing on antioxidants?
Posted: Feb 25, 2008 1:31 pm

Also, aren't pommegranets (sp?) supposed to be good liver food? They're loaded with polyphenals, which are the same antioxidants found in olive oil. Maybe get some of that POM juice to mix with all that vodka yr puttin' away.
Posted: Feb 25, 2008 3:32 pm

According to this site: http://www.herbal-supplements-guide.com/index.html
they seem to think that taking combinations of herbal supplements is a good thing. They really reinforce that getting herbs that meet 'strict GMP compliance' is really important- basically that means that some of those herb blends out there don't even have enough of said herb in the mixture to be effective. So you want something that is relatively pure. I'm still learning about it myself, but that website was a good reference-kinda dumb to navigate though.
Posted: Feb 25, 2008 3:35 pm

I am already taking Folic Acid, Vitamin D and Calcium supplements, so what's a few more?
Posted: Feb 25, 2008 7:09 pm

i agree with the milk thistle and the pom stuff. i have the pom in a concentrate that you have to add to stuff or its gross but its super good for ya.
Posted: Feb 29, 2008 9:27 pm | Edited by: Miss Faye

Yeah, a lot of long term Old Zinnie's people I know take milk thistle.

Beets: I never liked them before this version from Tommy at Tsunami: raw, peeled beets, julienned or curly cut on one of those cool things, mixed with peeled granny smith apple cut the same way, olive oil, salt, pepper, top with a little goat cheese. Yum. Serve with some seared tuna.
Posted: Mar 1, 2008 4:09 am

Asparagus was going pretty cheep at the grocery store today, only $1.84 a pound. Got the bundle with the thinnest spears and was super stoked! Pan fried in olive oil with salt and pepper tonight.
Posted: Mar 13, 2008 11:09 am

Posted: Mar 13, 2008 6:25 pm

Gin, motherfucker!!!
Posted: Mar 13, 2008 7:26 pm

Wait a damn minute. What about liver?
Posted: Mar 13, 2008 7:47 pm

organ meats are actually pretty fuckin bad for you.
Posted: Mar 13, 2008 10:05 pm

Then why do I hate them?
Posted: Mar 14, 2008 12:03 am

beets are also delish if you simmer them in orange juice
but i like them best baked
Posted: Mar 17, 2008 9:38 pm

whiskey
Posted: Mar 20, 2008 10:40 am

i'm gonna have to go with deadcityrebel on this one.
Posted: Apr 29, 2008 5:46 pm

I'm on a beet kick because I did some research out of desperation. Everytime I drink red wine now I get kind of sick...a TRAGEDY for me because that's about all I like to drink.
Like saispas, I also take meds that are bad for the liver.

Anyway, I've discovered that beets are amazingly good. What an under used vegetable! I wash them and cut off all but an inch or two of the tops (you can use the beet greens in salads, etc.) Leave the root on, or the good stuff bleeds out. Wrap them in foil and bake for about an hour. Unwrap, let them cool, then rub the skins off. Your hand will get all red, so wear rubber gloves (but the stain comes off easily with soap and water). Then, chunk them up, let them dry and put them in a plastic container. Stick them in the fridge and eat them for snacks (much better than celery or carrot!) or I've been making a salad every day for lunch that has romaine, radiccio, chunked beets (about 1 small beet), feta, pecans,
and a mix of Italian and bleu cheese dressing. YUM.
Also, they say that you should try and use organic beets, because beets draw things out of the soil (and your liver).

Thanks for enabling search, guys. I never thought I'd write such a long post about beets, but at least I'm not starting a new topic about them. I've become slightly obsessed.
Oh, and, they do make your pee red, but mostly your poop red!
Posted: Apr 29, 2008 6:25 pm

Oh, and, they do make your pee red, but mostly your poop red!
My mom eats beets all the time. She's pretty old, so after her recent yearly check-up, the doctor was alarmed because her stool sample was red. He thought it was blood in there and figured she might have some serious colon issues. It took them like 3 tests to ask her if she ate a lot of beets. Stupid doctors.
Posted: Apr 29, 2008 6:43 pm

He thought it was blood in there and figured she might have some serious colon issues. It took them like 3 tests to ask her if she ate a lot of beets. Stupid doctors.

It looks pretty much exactly like it looked when I had serious colon issues.
I've been fantasizing about saying to my doctor (who I hate as a doctor), "Oh no, that's just the beets." And him thinking I'm off in some kind of crazy bitch haze and ordering more tests and finally he'll figure out HE'S WRONG...which he's not capable of thinking he is.

Um...digression....
Posted: Apr 29, 2008 7:19 pm

Bourbon
Posted: Apr 29, 2008 7:45 pm

romaine, radiccio, chunked beets (about 1 small beet), feta, pecans,

that sounds wonderful.
Posted: May 1, 2008 11:52 am

i was on a medication last year that causes liver damage too. now i pretty much cant drink at all.

liquorice root actually works better than milk thistle, but getting a blend with a bunch of herbs will do wonders.

there isnt an independent healthfood store in memphis anymore, is there?

acupuncture can help too.
Posted: May 1, 2008 1:22 pm

I'd say russian food would be a good place to look, since they seem to have the whole drinking thing down pat.

They drink tea with a growing fungus in it called kombucha that's supposed to work miracles.
Posted: May 2, 2008 5:13 pm

my Russian cousins make this beet salad with herring in it. But by gawd they use a lot of mayo. I guess mayo is really expensive over there, so when they got here they just went crazy.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®