Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / best beer taste - hoppy or malty?
Posted: Feb 9, 2008 8:10 pm

I've been trying different varieties from the store down the road lately, and I'd say I like the malty ones better. The hoppy shit tastes like ground-up aspirin.
Posted: Feb 9, 2008 8:12 pm

I have no idea--I probably like hops cos I like pilsners and pale ales, not thick syrupy "beer".
Posted: Feb 9, 2008 8:14 pm

whatevers cheapest.
Posted: Feb 9, 2008 9:48 pm

I'm definitely not a beer connoisseur, by any means, but my favorite beers are the ones that taste like grain. They give the flavor like I've just swallowed a big mouthful of oatmeal or something. Strangely, I find this flavor in cheapshit beers (Hamm's, Olympia, Schlitz) and more upscale imports, but never mid-grade stuff.
Posted: Feb 10, 2008 8:43 am

I like a kiss of the hops.
Posted: Feb 10, 2008 8:57 am | Edited by: Womb Raider

Hops. but it has to be subtle.
Posted: Feb 10, 2008 9:06 am

Hops. IPAs.
Posted: Feb 10, 2008 9:40 am

The hoppy shit that prompted me to say anything is this - http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/147/92/

She thought it would be fitting for me to try it. It was not the perfect match she imagined.
Posted: Feb 10, 2008 1:28 pm

I dig the hop in Pales and IPA's but when people go all crazy on the hops in things like stouts and so on I'm like "What the fuck."

Yeah, those Beer Advocate forum folks are a bit snippy and bitchy sometimes.
Posted: Feb 11, 2008 5:21 am

hefer
Posted: Feb 11, 2008 12:20 pm

hooray for hops..

double IPAs
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 1:37 am

pumpkinny
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 6:41 am | Edited by: arman

hoppy. very hoppy. like, armpit-after-a-run hoppy.
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 2:55 pm

Bring on the HOPS!!
California brewers are usually pretty much HOP addicts (see Hop Ottin by Anderson Valley out of Mendicino County).
Back in the day, the hoppiest beer you could find regular like was the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Now SNPA is middle of the road hops wise.
I think the home brew/craft brew craze has made people try to push the HOP limits.
The beer snobs even talk about American Pale Ales because we have distorted the true flavor of IPA to be "as hoppy as you can be".
That being said, I agree with the comment about "mouthfull of oatmeal" but it's a seasonal thing to me. Winter means stouts and porters, traditionally more grainy.
JH
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 3:27 pm

Which are the pussy lagers like the Mexican beers? Hoppy? Cuz I like those. But I hate Sierra Nevada, that is funky 'armpit' tasting to me...
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 3:39 pm

Bass Ale. That's hoppy, isn't it?
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 3:40 pm

Well, Mexican beers are pretty much just ball-wash. Corona is a very light lager. Very little hops.
The funky, armpit taste is hops. Dig it.
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 3:44 pm

ball-wash

Good idea!
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 4:37 pm

ball-wash

Good idea!

Great Idea!!
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 4:54 pm

i love IPAs. lots of hops. yum.

story of IPA - the high level of hops and alcohol added into it was for preservation purposes. regular beer wouldn't keep for travel when exposed to heat on long trips across the ocean. the hops make it difficult for bacteria to grow and spoil the beer. i know if i would be on a long ocean voyage, i'd be happy to have my beer not spoiled. hooray for IPA.
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 5:13 pm | Edited by: saispas

But I hate Sierra Nevada, that is funky 'armpit' tasting to me...

I dig it, but love more the Corona and this other Mexican beer I have never seen up here. It has a Spartan looking warrior on it.
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 5:22 pm

Dos Equiis, Negro Modelo, and Victoria are my favies. Dark 'Vienna style' Mexican lagers, low hops, I guess, but good flavor. I don't care for Corona much, but I think Corona Light is pretty good...not sure why that is. Tecate and Pacifico are perfect Summertime patio drinkers.
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 5:38 pm | Edited by: saispas

Pacifico wins Best Label.

I wish I could remember the name of this Mexican beer we got tons of in Troncones. It had that warrior guy (maybe he was an Aztec warrior?) on the label and I want to say it was in a green bottle. Anyone know?

**Found it: Scroll down to "Indio". http://www.femsa.com/en/business/cerveza/brands.htm
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 11:50 pm

IPA's never spoil. DOGFISH HEAD IS MANNA!!!
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 12:51 am

any fucking beer would taste good right now
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 12:22 pm

Had one of these last night. It was really good. The guy at the store is going to print me a list of every beer they carry so I can check them off the list as I go.
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 12:50 pm | Edited by: miss linda

I drink Millwalkie's Best, P.B.R.,or Budweiser to wash down the Bourbon.

All that micro brewed hippy-shit beer is for REAL girls, and it's fun to watch em' drink it.
As long as I don't have to taste it, it does a fine job!
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 4:57 pm

IPA's never spoil. DOGFISH HEAD IS MANNA!!!

Hell fucking yeah!!! Ever try the 120 minute IPA? Hops on top of hops on top of hops.

Any Brewtown Goners that like good beer need to go to Romans. Owner is a total ass, but he has some great beer on tap. And he has a barrel of the Dogfish Head 120 in the cooler right now. Plus half a dozen Belgian beers.

jh
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 3:49 pm | Edited by: dale

Millionare,

You should be trying all the Founder's first. Seriously, some of the best beer made anywhere in this country (and it's made in the area of the state you live in). If ya find a couple of bottle's of their Kentucky Breakfast Stout I will by one off you (on batch made a year. None of it made it to this city).

Jimi,
Those two of those 120's a fuck a person up pretty good. Pretty extreme as far as extreme beers go.

I picked up a six of Arbor Brewing's Espresso Stout. It's gotta be one of the crappiest beer's I've had in a while. It has been proven that some hippies can make awesome beer (a lot of that NoCal and Pacific NW brewers in particular) but this is made in Ann Arbor and the hippies in that town are always damn lame at what they do...this beer proves it again. Fuck Ann Arbor hippies!

Got some Laguntas IPA's. Good thing because those Arbor's are probably only gonna get drank when there's no other beer in the house and the store is closed.
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 7:26 pm

Founder's

I just finished an Old Carmadgen Ale, and it was great. Thanks for the tip!
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 7:42 pm

I like micro-brew Rootbeer!
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 8:42 pm

I like titties!
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 8:49 pm

Titty-brewed beer would be, well, tits.
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 11:34 am

I like Micro-Tits....
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 3:39 pm

Those two of those 120's a fuck a person up pretty good. Pretty extreme as far as extreme beers go.

so will those Great Divide Hercules Double IPAs....I drank four and woke up in the yard....
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 8:15 pm

Got some Goose Island tonight because it was on special at the store. Realized later it was only on special because it was EXPIRED. 8.99 a twelve pack is pretty good though.

Will I get sick from beer that says "best enjoyed by 10-17-07"? I think not.
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 2:26 am

The most that's gonna happen with expired beer is that it might skunk out and/or take on a different taste. It's just not at it's peak freshness. With a lot of them it take over a year past expiration date for any change really. It is better fresh but past date beer isn't gonna be all that bad (Well, with higher end micro's at least). Some things like barley wines, higher end (in price and alcohol content) IPAs, wheat beers and stouts can and are cellered. I'm that all that geeky though.

Me and the wife were really digging Victory's Sunsrise Weissbiers over the summer. They're out of season/past dated and a store in town has the 6's at half price. We enjoyed a big of their summer taste of the weekend. Wasn't a thing wrong with them.

What Goose Island did ya have? Everything I've tried by them hasn't been all that exciting but 8.99 a twelve is a good deal.

I just got back from a crazy job assignment and having a Dogfish Head Chicory Stout. One of my fav's this winter.

The WORST beer I've had since the holidays was a coffee stout from Arbor (as is Ann Arbor) Brewing. Uck! They did it all wrong.
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 1:37 pm

that dogfish head is awesome. but it'll put a fukkin whammy on you. or maybe it was the combo of belgian ales i had it with. whatever. ouch.
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 4:11 pm

maybe it was the combo of belgian ales i had it with. whatever. ouch.

Yeah, blame the Dogfish Head!! heh....

If you had a couple of these:

BIERE DU BOUCANIER GOLDEN ALEs (11% abv)
(currently on tap at my local geek beer bar)

It wasn't the Dogfish Head...

The only Goose Island I can stand is the IPA. The others are pretty much all crap.

Jh
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 9:59 am

What Goose Island did ya have?

Summertime. It's shitty, but it was cheap.
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 11:04 am

Definitely not a fan of hoppy stuff -- having an IPA or red ale is like drinking a loaf of wheat bread to me -- but Rogue's Red is good from the tap.
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 11:48 am

Rogue's Red is good from the tap.

that's a big beer. over 9% I think.

The Rogue I2PA is just about as intense at the 120 minute IPA from Dogfish Head.

I had a bunch of Blatz last night and I feel like I'm about to shit my lungs out....
Damn, I can't believe I used to drink gallons of that stuff.
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 6:06 pm

Over 9%? Really? That explains a lot of my behavior.
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 8:38 pm

Not tomato-y. I tried that horrible Budweiser Chelada yesterday (Budweiser, Clamato, salt, and lime premixed). A sip was alright, a 24 oz can was not.
Posted: Feb 28, 2008 5:16 pm

HOPPE!
Posted: Feb 28, 2008 8:57 pm | Edited by: dale

Old Carmadgen Ale

Not to be a grammar dick (yet I guess I am) but I tried an Old Curmudgeon for the first time tonight. Damn! is this stuff aged in oak casks like their Kentucky Breakfast? 9 and a half percent and taste like the best bourbon and cola (but with a sweet malt thickness) I've had in a long time.

Those Chelada's scare my just because I've tried Miller Chill.

Hops. Malt. I dig 'em both...Depends on the mood and the season though too. I just ain't too sure about all the crazy spices. fruits and vegs some people try to brew together. I like such foods but prefer them to be consumed (or at least prepared) separate from each other.

Isn't tomato juice and beer some old guy drink. Bud's a little late on the 'Swingers' bandwagon, aren't they?
Posted: Feb 29, 2008 10:43 am

I love Clamato y Budweiser. When I get done with a 24, I want another. I usually switch to something cheaper after one, though. Pabst or Hamm's is less than half the price per oz. It's a pretty good mix of Clamato, beer and salt. When I try to make my own red beers, I never get it right.
Posted: Feb 29, 2008 12:16 pm

Beer starting off is for sissies, and teenage girls who can't find miss linda to buy them any "wine"coolers!
Posted: Feb 29, 2008 12:17 pm

Hops. Malt. I dig 'em both...Depends on the mood and the season though too. I just ain't too sure about all the crazy spices. fruits and vegs some people try to brew together.

What he said!!

As per the "red beer"....I used to work at a shot and beer joint and I would open at 6 a.m. and by 6:15 the bar would be half full of old retired guys drinking aber-goots (rail brandy with peppermint schnapps floated on top) chased by Red-eyes (as they called them) made with Old Style and snappy Tom Tomato juice. The combo makes me gag. shot and a beer for a buck. Those were the days.

Jh
Posted: Feb 29, 2008 5:15 pm

I dig those bourbon cask beers. Goose Island has a Bourbon County Stout right now. Its flavor's kinda intense, but one of 'em sets a strong base for a night of off-the-wall drinking.
Posted: Mar 1, 2008 2:23 pm

The one old guy bar downtown here that opens the earliest here (7am is the state law) has an unadvertised special til noon what it just called "A Red" (the beer and tomato juice deal). You'll see retired guys standing out front waiting for the doors to open sometimes (esp. in the warmer month when all those old cranks are back after their winter in Fla)
Posted: Mar 7, 2008 5:57 am

hops are what beer is about.
Posted: Mar 8, 2008 10:43 am

And here I thought it was the alcohol!
Posted: Mar 8, 2008 1:20 pm

Beer sucks, unless you're already drunk.
Posted: Mar 11, 2008 11:51 am

A lot of things suck unless you are drunk....
Posted: Mar 11, 2008 4:49 pm

touche
Posted: Mar 11, 2008 8:01 pm

poor mans bloody:

pour 12oz can or bottle of cheap american lager beer into pint glass.

fill rest of way, approx. 4oz, with tomato juice.

add slim jim.

drink.
Posted: Mar 12, 2008 1:38 pm | Edited by: miss linda

pour 12oz can or bottle of cheap american lager beer into pint glass.

fill rest of way, approx. 4oz, with tomato juice.

add slim jim.

I've had one of those minus the slim jim. made me feel sick
Posted: Mar 13, 2008 11:38 am

Try Snappy Tom instead of regular tomato juice.....that will do more than just make you "feel" sick.
Posted: Mar 13, 2008 5:29 pm

Memphis folks, try the Copper Flask lager. it's 6 per cent, and brewed with sour mash?!?! really good stuff! a local guy came up with the recipe (he's from New England, worked as a biologist for Bud for years, moved to Memphis to work for Coors, and stayed when the brewery closed), but it's brewed in LaCrosse WI. he hopes to bring the manufacturing process south some day...
Posted: Mar 14, 2008 11:14 am

brewed in LaCrosse WI.

The old G. Heilemann brewery contract brews a lot of different small batch beers now.

Formerly home to the World Biggest 6 Pack

Good to see that brewery still making beers. Although drinking more than 5-6 of the old Heilemann beers (Old Style, Blatz etc) was sure to give you the dreaded Blatz Splats the next day.....
Posted: Mar 24, 2008 8:19 pm

I confess, I am a HOPHEAD! Gimme a hoppy beer and skunky bud, and I'm a happy man.
Posted: Mar 24, 2008 10:57 pm

Memphis folks, try the Copper Flask lager.

i really like this stuff. pretty tasty, i must say.
Posted: Mar 25, 2008 6:50 am

I saw the Frank Zappa beer on the shelf today, but didn't buy it cuz it's made by Lagunitas, whose IPA I find fairly foul. Maybe I'll get a bottle for the bookshelf tomorrow.

ZAPPA BEER
Posted: Mar 28, 2008 5:39 pm

I saw the Frank Zappa beer on the shelf today

There was only a limited run on that back in 2006. If you bought it these days-it would be well past it's prime freshness date.
Posted: Mar 28, 2008 7:03 pm

Naw, this is fresh stuff. The link i put up is from olde stuff, cuz I'm retarded. The new one is Lumpy Gravy
Posted: Mar 28, 2008 8:32 pm

It's Victory Pils for me tonight.
Posted: Mar 31, 2008 11:40 am

I drank Belgian beer all night Saturday....bad idea. They taste so fuckin' good that you want to drink 50 of them. Problem is, they are mostly at least 8% alocohol...

After a few Delerium Tremens Blonde Ales (9%) I finished the night with a bunch of Bosteels Kwak Noble Ales (8%) I was takin' 4 steps sideways for every 1 forward. Good thing I had to sit down to drive....

I'm sticking to good ol' American beers for a while....
Posted: Apr 1, 2008 12:20 pm

I had a Bass Pale Ale last night for the first time in a years. Either my beer tastes are getting snobbier or that stuff has really gone down hill.
Posted: Apr 3, 2008 2:43 pm

Bass was good about 20 years ago....nowadays it's pretty much ballwash.
Posted: Apr 3, 2008 3:13 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

Last time I enjoyed a Bass was '89 or '90. It wasn't even that good back then, but best thing in most bars where I lived.

Just had another NASTY IPA the other day - Longhammer IPA by Redhook. It will reside right next to Lagunas on my IPA shitlist.

Such a HUGE difference between these and good IPAs like Terminal Gravity and Stone.
Posted: Apr 3, 2008 3:27 pm

Such a HUGE difference between these and good IPAs like Terminal Gravity and Stone.

that Stone Ruination is awesome
http://www.stonebrew.com/ruin/
Posted: Apr 3, 2008 3:31 pm

Redhook + Budweiser = ballwash.

Redhook used to be a great brewery, then in around 2000, Anheuser-Bush started "distributing" their beer and everything went to hell. They used to make a great ESB, but I haven't tried it in years.

If you like IPA's.....ever tried the Goose Island from Chicago? or the Three Floyds Alpha King?
Posted: Apr 3, 2008 6:09 pm

I dug the Lagunitas but those Longhammers do suck.

I think the thing with the Bass was the last time I had one was in the 80's and hadn't really been exposed to too many top end beers. These days, maybe I just realize how boring Bass it is. I remember Red Hook stuff being a lot better in the 90's too. Budweiser probably did fuck it all up.

Everything I've tried by Goose Island has been sorta weak. I keep eyeing the Three Floyds but haven't tried one yet.

The IPA I really been flipping out over lately is Founder's Centennial Ale. Damn! It's beautiful stuff.

I got a couple of Dark Horse 'Scotty Karate' (named after the dude in the Plumbobs if anyone remembers that Ann Arbor based band...He does the one-man band things these days) Scotch Ale chilling in the fridge...Will be uncapping one or two or three of them later. Expecting goodness-Dark Horse's IPA is a fine one-hoping they pull it off here too.
Posted: Apr 4, 2008 11:58 am

Dark Horse 'Scotty Karate' (named after the dude in the Plumbobs if anyone remembers that Ann Arbor based band...He does the one-man band things these days)

This is a good beer!! A couple months ago the brewmaster from Dark Horse came to the bar I hang out at and brought along SCOTTY KARATE himself!!
He played a short set and then we all got 'hammered drunk' on that beer. I think it's about 9.5% abv so it didn't take many.

And I agree about teh Dark Horse IPA being good.

The only Goose Island beer I can drink is the IPA. It's really a nice, balanced IPA. Lot's of hops, but a good amount of malt too.
Posted: Apr 4, 2008 12:07 pm

YES! They were some tasty scotch ales. I rank it and Founder's Dirty Bastard as the best two going (well, as far as US made ones at least).

The scotch ale down at our local brew pub though-complete garbage. It didn't even taste remotely like a scotch ale. Our local brew pub does NOT know how to make beer.
Posted: Apr 4, 2008 1:23 pm

The scotch ale down at our local brew pub though-complete garbage.

It's a tough style to do.

Best I ever had was Skullsplitter Ale (named after some bad-assed viking I think) Really dark brown, syrupy. Awesome.
Posted: Apr 4, 2008 2:47 pm

Actually, most of the beers down at this town's brew pub are garbage. They started making pilsner again and fucked it up bad. The brew master is a chick that doesn't even like beer. She was taught the job by the previous brewmaster (who wasn't the original one and where the beer started taking a drop in quality) and just goes through the motions. Their IPA and porter are passable but barely. It's an embarrasment when people visit and the only thing made locally I can show them is that stuff.
Posted: Apr 9, 2008 7:38 am

not a fan of Magic Hat, but they've got a seasonal IPA out now that's
pretty good...
Posted: Apr 17, 2008 2:30 pm

Man....Rogue brews some kick ass beer.

Had a few of the Rogue Morimoto Imperial Pilsners last night.
Not sure of the description....but it did kick ass

"Golden color, dry hop floral aroma and intense hop bitterness supported by a big malty backbone culminating into a Hedonistic mouthfeel. (8.8%)"

I'm all about Hedonism.....but not sure I got the same feeling.
Posted: Apr 17, 2008 8:13 pm

Rogue Dead Guy Ale and Shakespeare Stout are just too good..I awake in a gutter, looking at the stars, and lamenting that more beers are not as good as these two.
Posted: Apr 18, 2008 3:14 pm

I've only dabbled in Rogue but I have liked what I tried. It's 75 outside, got chicken and perch on the grill in a few minutes and some Dogfish Head 60 Min. IPA's on ice. It's like a freakin' summer day 'round here.
Posted: Apr 19, 2008 3:20 am | Edited by: SSSSSSS

I used to LOVE Shakespeare Stout. Now I only drink pussy American Guinness stout.

Well, I do still love Rogue Oatmeal Stout from time to time, but I pretty much figured out I don't care for stouts or porters all that much. It's been way too much time since I've tried whatever bitters or IPA offerings Rogue has. The bottles are rare on my local store shelves...pretty much just the occasional Dead guy ale sighting
Posted: Apr 22, 2008 1:34 pm

Yeah, it helps that one of my friends is the local rep for Rogue....
Posted: Apr 22, 2008 1:52 pm

Didn't like Rogue much before but I dig it now. Just had the Brutal Bitter last night, and it was pretty good. The only Rogue brew I've tried and didn't like at all was the Irish Kels. Tasted like Bud Light or something. Weak shit.
Posted: Apr 28, 2008 3:52 pm

So, my friend over at Romans Pub is finally tapping the Dogfish 120 Minute IPA this Thursday!!!!

Hey, Hey, First of May,
Outdoor fucking starts today!!!
Posted: May 1, 2008 3:32 pm

Wooohoooo!!! Tonights the night.....

Getting shitfaced on 120 Minute IPA!!
Posted: May 1, 2008 4:27 pm

http://www.beerpal.com/Dogfish-Head-120-Minute-IPA-Beer/9323/

I was mistaken....it's over 20% ABV!!!!!!!

I better call a taxi now.....
Posted: May 1, 2008 5:04 pm

It gets ya!
Posted: May 2, 2008 8:08 am

Eyed up Stone Ruination last night but they wanted 17 bucks for a six pack so I had to pass.
Posted: May 2, 2008 12:40 pm

HOPPE!

goddamn it.
Posted: May 2, 2008 5:14 pm

Anheuser-Bush started "distributing" their beer and everything went to hell.

everything they touch turns to shit, eh?

Buttwipers.
Posted: May 21, 2008 10:27 pm

Memphis folks, try the Copper Flask lager

I have. Not a fan. It's been weeks since I picked some up and I'm only four beers into the six pack.

I love beer. But not this beer.

Drinking one now. I think the sweetness in the finish is what is putting me off.

Eh, there's nothing particularly disagreeable that stands out. It's got too much going on the be a simple swiggable refreshment beer, but it isn't interesting enough to be a slowly sipped "pairing" beer. It may fill a niche I'm overlooking, but I doubt I'll be buying any more. And I keep getting a taste memory of Tequiza, which was horrible.
Posted: May 25, 2008 1:22 pm | Edited by: dale

Tequiza

I see that Breckenridge has an Agave Summer Wheat and my first impression was "Uhhh...I wonder if it's a higher quality Tequiza". I haven't tried it yet though cuz there's been some other stuff I haven't had before showing up at the "finer" retailers in town that I wanna give a taste first and I haven't been impresses by any of the Breckenridge stuff in the past. That and yeah-what if it is just a higher quality Tequiza. ICK!
Posted: May 26, 2008 6:26 pm

dale - I found it. The guys at the store we frequent were Nazis about this shit though. I had to practically beg to get more than one bottle.
Posted: May 26, 2008 9:08 pm

The guys at the store we frequent were Nazis about this shit though.

Yeah. It seems to be a pretty cherished thing. I got a pre-order in for the next batch and the guy at the store told me "The distributors are acting like it's rare diamonds. I can't get any more than one case". I'm gonna buy 'em all and hoard them.
Posted: May 26, 2008 9:10 pm

I paid $6/bottle. How much are they charging you for a case?
Posted: May 27, 2008 1:37 am

I was quoted "about 70 dollars". We'll see when it comes in what the actual deal is.
Posted: May 27, 2008 7:32 pm

What I am wondering though is if Founder's retails out of their brewery/pub? It may or may not be cheaper.

http://www.foundersbrewing.com/beer_styles.php
Posted: May 27, 2008 8:27 pm

I'll have to go there sometime and see. It's little over a mile from our house.
Posted: May 29, 2008 9:38 pm

I had an Avery Maharaji last night. Hop insanity. It almost burned...and it ruled. Barley Wine is for pussies with stuff like that around.
Posted: May 30, 2008 10:18 am

I had a few Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere Harvest Fresh Hop Ale's last night. Long assed name, but A damn fine beer. Lot's of hops, but not over the top. Very drinkable.

Had a few Bear Republic Racer 5's too. Good shit.....
Posted: May 31, 2008 7:38 pm | Edited by: dale

A bunch of Meijer's stores have expanded their beer selection but, natch, the one's here aren't as full on as some of the other ones. They did have some New Holland makes on the shelf. Say yes to Michigan beer so I picked up their Sundog amber ale (not to be confused with that Anheiser-Busch fake ass microbrew of the same name). I'm splitting the first one with my wife but even as not a big fan of amber ales it's a damn decent beer. I guess that means malts over hops for me tonight.

Apparently Sierra Nevada is a poser's microbrew but I'll drink their pale ale any time of the week. I haven't delved much into their limited/specialty things though.
Posted: Jun 4, 2008 1:18 pm

Apparently Sierra Nevada is a poser's microbrew

They were the original microbrew that got national attention. Them and Pete's (of Wicked Ale fame).

I remember drinking my first SNPA at a Dead show back in the mid 80's or so. (yeah, I'm OLD). Still tastes the same as I remember it....

If you wanna talk poser microbrews, let's talk about Redhood.....or Sam Adams. Now those are posers.
Posted: Jun 5, 2008 1:10 pm

Redhood

That would be Redhook...

Redhood sounds like some kind of STD.
Posted: Jun 5, 2008 3:04 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

Sierra Nevada and Red Hook got too big to be considered Microbreweries. Red Hook predates Pete's by 5 years, so dunno if I'd call Red Hook any more or less poseur than Pete's. Pete's seemed like all the rage back in the early 90s, hardly ever see that shit around these parts these days, tho.

No matter who's brewing it, it always seems like there's a trade off wherein flavor and quality are traded for consistency and mass production.
Posted: Jun 5, 2008 3:08 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

I guess sell-out microbrews would be more apt tan poseur microbrews in the case of Redhook, Widmer, et al...
Posted: Jun 5, 2008 6:49 pm

Sam Adams

I always figured Sam Adams was mircobrew for people that don't like microbrew. Never been impressed by anything they've made. Any place with the primetime TV advertising budget the have can't really be a "small guy". With that said I've never seen a Sierra Nevada commercial on TV. And their beer has been consistent good since the first time I tried it (early 90's) ti now.

Red Hook has sure gone down hill.

I like how Bud has all these microbrew brands now that all taste like weak ass or just plain wrong versions of good beer. Their ownership is played down on the packaging but you can always tell.
Posted: Jun 5, 2008 6:50 pm

...and it's all about Founder's Centennial IPA for me right now.
Posted: Jun 5, 2008 8:06 pm

Terminal Gravity IPA for me. Totally splurged for the damn-near-ten-bux-a-six-pack brew today!
Posted: Jun 5, 2008 9:26 pm

Any beer worth buying in this town averages around that price....then tax and 10 cents a bottle deposit.

Bud and his posers.
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/29
Posted: Jun 5, 2008 10:03 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

I enjoyed a couple six-packs of Bud Light Lime back when it was warm out a couple days. I tried their Summer Heat Wheat, or whatever they call it. Not bad, but not great. Just about on par with Henry Weinhard's summer wheat.

Yeah, the T.G. IPA was over $10 after tax. I can usually get Bridgeport or something of the sort for $7.50-$8.00 on sale.
Posted: Jun 5, 2008 10:08 pm

Oops, I was thinking Pyramid's Curveball (which was on sale for $6.99 last summer) - that wheat beer! Not Henry's.
Posted: Jun 6, 2008 1:57 am

Pyramid

I'm waiting to be impressed by anything they make yet. So far just "Ehh".
Posted: Jun 6, 2008 1:06 pm

I remember drinking my first SNPA at a Dead show back in the mid 80's or so.

that shits just as bunk as the acid at that dead show you were at!
Posted: Jun 6, 2008 3:26 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

Pyramid

I'm waiting to be impressed by anything they make yet. So far just "Ehh".

You won't ever. Snow Cap is nice cuzza 7% alcohol. I seem to remember liking it a whole lot better in '94.

Apricot's OK if yer in a fruity mood, but you don't wanna get drunk on it. My band got paid with a case of it once. Uggh. Curve Ball is good when it's on sale for a buck or so more than a six of Bud.
Posted: Jun 6, 2008 6:00 pm

Stef likes their Apricot stuff. I'm not all that crazy about fruit beers but it was passible. More than one though it just starts tasting like weird flavored jello mix.
Posted: Jun 9, 2008 11:09 am

Yeah, I guess my take on Sierra Nevada is that they are still locally owned.
They didn't sell out to Bud (like Redhook etc did...) And their beer still is well brewed and consistent. A good brewery is a good brewery, no matter how much beer they put out. Look at Samuel Smiths. They crank out a ton of beer, and <most> of it, is pretty damn good.

......and the acid at that Dead show was 4x4 piece of windowpane that me and one other dude split......so....yeah, it wasn't bunk. I think I lost about 50 pts off my IQ that day.
Posted: Jun 14, 2008 7:27 pm | Edited by: dale

Drank Bud at a family reunion today. Now back home but the highest class beer there is at the corner store is Sierra Nevada.

I'm gonna walk to the store to get some Sierra Nevada now....
Posted: Jun 19, 2008 3:34 am

Had an Avery Maharaja tonight. Damn! That stuff is just slightly north of Heaven!!!
Posted: Jun 19, 2008 11:21 am

I had a Total Domination IPA day before yesterday. Not bad for hippies from Eugene.
Posted: Jun 19, 2008 11:25 am

Har, Har, Har. Ninkasi brewing, makers of Total Domination also have a double IPA called Tricerahops.

Funny hippies.
Posted: Jun 19, 2008 4:39 pm

My beer-geek bar just got a couple more Belgians on tap....brings it up to 8!! Tonight might be a "hammered drunk" night.

Kasteel Chateau Triple Ale is really tasty beer....and it's 11% al-kee-hawl!!!
Goes down like a two bit hooker......
Posted: Jun 20, 2008 1:07 am

Damn! I could go for a bar with 8 Belgians on tap. Alas, I sit here knockin' back PBR Light!
Posted: Jun 21, 2008 12:54 pm

Founder's makes a triple IPA called Devil Dancer. Tried one last night for the first time. WOO! Wild!
Posted: Jun 23, 2008 4:08 pm

My bar is FINALLY getting Stone's beers!! They are rolling out the Arrogant Bastard and Ruination Imperial IPA!! I am soooo psyched!
Posted: Jun 26, 2008 10:43 am

Stone's beers!!

Well, I drank a couple Arrogant Bastards and a bunch of the Ruination IPA and I have to say....damn that's a good IPA. The hops kick you hard....but not with that over the top sour grapefruity hop taste of some IPAs. Great, bright color. I predict I drink many more of these.... It was so good that even Tommy Two-Beers had a third....

I will have to give the AB Ale another shot, I was hell bent for the IPA last night.
Posted: Jun 26, 2008 10:59 am

I just got a local hookup for Yuengling Lager! very hard to come by in these parts.
Posted: Jun 26, 2008 7:51 pm

I just got a local hookup for Yuengling Lager! very hard to come by in these parts.
I would jizz my jeans!

My beer today is Mandarin Hefewiezen by Lang Creek brewery of Marion, Montana. I don't like orangey beers, why do I keep trying them? It's going down smooth on this warm evening, but I'm switching to wine after this one.
Posted: Jun 27, 2008 10:41 am | Edited by: JimiHaze

It was 80 degrees after the sun went down last night up here in wisco.

Perfect day to drink of bunch of Hoegaarden.

man that beer goes down smooth.....and quick.
Posted: Jun 28, 2008 12:55 pm

The Ruination is scaring me into buying it just cuz it IS really expensive. The Arrogant Bastard is nice but a little to much of a brute for the weather to me. In the fall and early winter though I'll be visiting them again. They have an oak casked one too I see.

The regular Stone IPA is good.

Had a Magic Hat last night. A bunch of fake tasting fruit was what I noticed most. A lot of people love 'em though it seems.

I gotta go to the bar tonight for the Smackmadam reunion (only maybe 4 people here know who I'm talking about). The bar they're playing at fanciest beer is Killians. I'm gonna go across the street to the brew pub and load up on a couple of local made beers then walk back and drink water when watching them play.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®