Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Fucking indispensible kitchen appliances!
Posted: Jan 19, 2008 10:36 pm

My mini Cuisinart food processor.
Posted: Jan 19, 2008 10:58 pm | Edited by: arman

the kegerator
Posted: Jan 20, 2008 2:31 am

Posted: Jan 20, 2008 5:16 am

Good.

Better.

Best! This is the one we've got!
Posted: Jan 20, 2008 6:03 am

I can't wait til we get back to Memphis and can have a huge kitchen again so we can have such wacky items as a little hot dog cooker if we even wanted such a thing. We have to hide everything but the toaster oven, the mini food processor, the espresso machine and the coffee grinder. Then there is zero room for cutting and arranging things for cooking. I hate our little kitchen!
Posted: Jan 20, 2008 6:49 am

That's the beauty of the AmeriMark Hot Dog Roller! Put it on the goddamn coffe table! Max sez: It's like having a 7-11 right in your house!

Oh man a hot-dog rotisserie on the coffee table is NOT what you want child welfare to see. Where you takin' my babies?!?
Posted: Jan 20, 2008 8:01 pm

Oh man a hot-dog rotisserie on the coffee table

...is the opposite of baby-proofing.
Posted: Jan 20, 2008 9:08 pm

those hot dog toasters have really come down in price! they used to be like $300 in the skymall catalog.
Posted: Jan 20, 2008 10:01 pm

kegerator

the Millionaire wants one of these.
Posted: Jan 21, 2008 7:35 pm

those hot dog toasters have really come down in price!
What are the hot dogs like after they've come out of one of those? Is it like a grilled dog? If it cooks 'em good, I can't afford to NOT have one at that price.
Posted: Jan 21, 2008 7:48 pm

What are the hot dogs like after they've come out of one of those? Is it like a grilled dog? If it cooks 'em good, I can't afford to NOT have one at that price.

I have no idea. I doubt it's like a grilled dog, probably more like one of these: http://www.hoponpops.com/images/hot_dog_rotisserie_h.jpg
Posted: Jan 21, 2008 11:58 pm | Edited by: a cobb

I can confirm that the hotdogs offa the rotisseries are delicious. The toaster, I have my doubts. It's unnatural.
Posted: Jan 22, 2008 12:17 am

I make mine in a grill pan--perfect every time!
Posted: Jan 22, 2008 1:46 am

I don't know if it's indispencible, but I just scored a brand new quesidilla maker off Freecycle. At least I can now say to Jack, "Go make your own snack your ownself"! He was way into it, as was John who made a surprise appearance at home tonight.
Posted: Jan 22, 2008 3:11 am

quesidilla

Again, grill pan! Perfect everytime!
Posted: Feb 9, 2008 10:47 am

mini cuisinart, le creuset spoon-shaped spatula (favorite thing ever and not really an appliace but oh well) george foreman grill ONLY for gardenburgers and grilled cheeses, my very cute orange cube shaped microwave!
Posted: Feb 11, 2008 10:18 am

1st place... vita prep
2nd..... micro plane
3rd....... my wooden roux spoon
Posted: Feb 11, 2008 12:46 pm

gotta second the microplane...but my grandmother's cast iron skillet beats 'em all.
Posted: Feb 11, 2008 1:05 pm

What the hell is a micro plane???

Now I MUST have one.

I beginning to fall in love with this old, short, flat wooden spoon I found at an estate sale.
Posted: Feb 11, 2008 6:18 pm

micro planes rule. i want a grill pan, a la creuset, a chinese handled strainer thing a ma jig and a really good saucepan with a tight fitting lid.
Posted: Feb 11, 2008 8:51 pm

I want a better steamer--any suggestions?
Posted: Feb 11, 2008 9:22 pm

i want a grill pan, a la creuset

Jessiebelle, I got one as a gift and already have one. I emailed Le Creuset and they won't let me exchange because I have no packaging. It's red, the big, oblong one, this:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f139/Remabuenning/0211082014.jpg

Don't know what they retail for, but I'll go cheaper... interested?
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 3:56 pm

What the hell is a micro plane???

A fancy lemon zester... I love mine for that... but can't really figger out what else to use it for...
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 5:25 pm

is a microplane the thing that dumbass rachel ray uses? my grandmothers been asking me about some thing that grates and catches at the same time that she uses on her show- this has to be it, right?
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 5:37 pm

Posted: Feb 12, 2008 5:37 pm

I think the original one is like a grater on a stick:

http://www.thekitchenstore.com/098399400204.html
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 10:32 pm

kegerator

my dad got one for christmas. wed tapped it by the third day of our visit.
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 1:14 pm

im going to say refrigerator, freezer, toaster, oven/range, and microwave.
im thinking a dishwasher would be pretty essential but i never get around to getting one. not an appliance, but i find my under the counter cd player/radio to be a good thing to have.
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 1:36 pm

i like the microplane actually for grating parmesan, nutmeg, lemon zest ala rachelwhore and whatever like that. i actually use it all the time.
grill pan! hmmm.... what i really want is one of those pot things. although a grill pan would be nice?
i don't how much there worth either. i am interested but i'm kinda cheap...so, if it is a la creuset i would almost just keep it. but i can go look up how much they go for??
and i need a toaster. fuck.
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 1:40 pm

i found some grill pans that are in the $40 range but they aren't la creuset...hmmm....
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 3:58 pm

Yeah, the oblong Le Creuset is about $100, it looks like... I guess I'd take $50-60 depending on shipping (fucking heavy), since I didn't pay for it in the first place. I just don't need it, because I already have the smaller square one... but I do want a French oven and those fuckers are $160. I can't believe they won't let me exchange... it's obviously never been used... dicks.
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 4:45 pm

thats what i truly truly want! fucking french oven. crap. i think i'm too poor right now. ugh. but your awesome for mentioning it.
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 7:50 pm

I got this grill pan from my dad a few years back...and it has been GREAT.

But now that I am looking at it, I cannot believe he spent $90 on a pan for us. Ah the old days of wedding presents!
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 11:58 am

i got a lodge cast iron grill pan a few years ago that works very nicely.

now that i know how to make chicago deep dish, i'm obsessed with getting a deep dish pizza pan. think a $10 aluminum one is just as good as the more expensive ones?
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 12:57 pm

I like my electric can-opener, my microwave, and the skillet I found in the neighbor's yard.
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 2:01 pm

mmm....grill pan.
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 2:01 pm

i also want one of those dumb emulsifier things that you put in soup to blend it and what not. is that what there even called?
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 2:38 pm | Edited by: saint sarah

Immersion blender? Fucking indispensible for sure! Mine's a kitchen aide. I wanna get all the attachments for it thereby eliminating the need for all other kitchen appliances.
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 2:56 pm

we got some kinda new kettles that are nonstick but it aint teflon and doesnt scrape off, its not a coating, theyre actually made from a non stick metal or something. i love em, even burned on cheese or egg wipes right off.
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 9:01 pm

thats what it is! immersion blender. god i want one.
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 5:27 pm | Edited by: miss linda

[i]thats what it is! immersion blender. god i want one.

fun stuff. They don't make a mess!
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 6:05 pm

Can you crush ice with an immersion blender?
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 6:52 pm

it seems like you can do anything with the damn things. help puree that pea soup and then make a margarita.
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 6:57 pm

you could probably turn crushed ice into very smooth ice, but I doubt it would turn ice cubes into a frozen margarita.
Posted: Feb 16, 2008 2:04 pm

It can turn your weiner into hot dog juice.
Posted: Feb 16, 2008 5:16 pm

hmmm...well, to dream.
i said screw it and i bought one.
Posted: Feb 16, 2008 6:24 pm

you could probably turn crushed ice into very smooth ice, but I doubt it would turn ice cubes into a frozen margarita

Actually you can. When I bought it it came with a very tall plastic container. I made smoothies in it all the time. Then once I didnt wash it and it got nasty and I threw it out. I wouldn't put it in a glass, or a cheap 7-11 kinda plastic cup so I haven made any frozen drinks with it since.
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 12:09 pm

I want an immersion blender.

My favorite things I have are my Kitchenaid professional mixer and my cast iron skillets.
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 12:55 pm

cast iron rules! i went for it and bought the cheaper of the two immersion blenders on amazon when i went for the gold and bought sale le creuset french (dutch) oven. yahoo...
i also need to find a vietnamese grocery coz i want one of those drip coffee things they have so i can make it at home. my friend got one in washington and having that amazing coffee with condensed milk at home seems amazing!!!!!
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 3:55 pm

mmm....grill pan.

Hey Jessiebelle! Good news for both of us. I went into Sur La Table today and asked if they'd accept my pan with no packaging as exchange. 'No problem', they said. They've got them for $60 (everything I saw online was $100) and have some cute colors! So when you're ready for your next big hot purchase... whoooo! (you have Sur La Table, right?)
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 4:39 pm

yes we do boy howdy!!! yay! i want one. crap. grill pan....mmmm....
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 8:11 pm

We gots a hot dog cooker. I think my roomate just has it b/c it says "rape" on it, though.

Toaster oven is pretty sweet. So is the microwave. Mini chopper thing is nice, but would be better if we had room for a real food processor. I've also grown accustomed to the rice cooker.

Bread machine, crock pots, blender, george foreman grills get little use. I need to make some damn margaritas soon!
Posted: Mar 31, 2008 12:32 pm

I got a folding cutting board not long ago. It fuckin rules. I can fold it in half longways and the food slides right into the pan. plus, it has a magnet inside to keep it folded closed for smaller storage.
Posted: Mar 31, 2008 4:14 pm

We gots a hot dog cooker. I think my roomate just has it b/c it says "rape" on it, though.
In what context does your hotdogger say rape? Is it just out there, like,
"RAPE?" Is it a warning like, "Failure to clean the hotdogger will may result in rape?" Very curious business.
Posted: Apr 4, 2008 7:43 am

My saucy new Dualit hand blender! Yeah!
Posted: Apr 4, 2008 12:43 pm

food processor!
Posted: Apr 4, 2008 2:35 pm

I only own one countertop appliance that plugs in. Senseo coffee maker I got for $15. I wouldn't call it indispensible, though. I'm gonna miss my roommate's blender when I move out, that ain't indispensible either.

Never did understand the allure of rice cookers. 1/2 inch of rice in the pot, fill with water 'til it's 1/2 inch above the level of the rice, bring to boil, throw a plate on top, reduce heat to low and cook for 20 minutes.

I really can't live without a cast iron skillet and a knife. I hate it when I don't have a salt and pepper mills, but have mashed peppercorns with an olive oil bottle in a pinch.
Posted: Apr 4, 2008 2:38 pm

you should use twice as much water as rice.
Posted: Apr 4, 2008 2:48 pm

Dem rice cookers always have aluminum pots. They'll give you Japanese alzheimers - the worst alzheimers there is...
Posted: Apr 4, 2008 2:53 pm

fork
Posted: Apr 4, 2008 2:59 pm

Posted: Apr 12, 2008 7:16 pm

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®