Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / good eats in NYC?
Posted: Jan 9, 2008 11:25 pm

Will be in NYC 3/3-3/7 for work. Staying near Washington Square Park. Work is near Union Square, on 5th Ave between 15 & 16th st. Grew up in NJ so I'm not a total novice, but I've been away for over 15 years. Probably gonna hit Gray's Papaya as it's right near the hotel. Might take some coworkers to White Castle, but I can get that while visit the folks over the weekend, so playing that by ear. I know Shopsins moved is it very far? do they still do the bacon brittle?
Posted: Jan 9, 2008 11:39 pm

Criff Dogs is a must and not to far from the square. St. Marks (8th street) and Ave. A. You want the spicy redneck. A bacon wrapped deep fried hot dawg with chili, jalapenos, cheese etc....

Two boots pizza is also pretty great. Ave. A and 3rd street.
I like the Night Tripper slice. 2 kinds o cheese (i think) , carmelized garlic and jalapeno pesto sauce. Pretty awesome.

West Village is awfully crowded these days, so I don't venture too far over there , but the Cowgirl Hall of Fame is pretty fantastic. 10th street and Hudson.
I recomend the frito pie and multiple awesome frozen margaritas served out of a soft serve machine.

For Italian, ya can't beat Bona Fida's at 2nd Ave. and 4th street. They only serve dinner, no lunch.
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 7:16 pm

Is there still a Nathan's in Times Square?
Posted: Jan 11, 2008 4:43 am

I like Dumpling Man right across the way from Criff Dogs. Kate's Joint is a favorite, but seems to get lamer everytime I go. New favorite from the last couple of trips is Temple Korean at St. Mark's and First, better ambiance than most of the popular joints in NYC's K-town. I also REALLY dig Gobo for insanely good food. They have one location in the Upper East Side, and one in the West Village.

Man... after the really bad Thai food I just had in Germantown tonight... I'm seriously craving some of this stuff.... I have to go cleanse my palate tomorrow.
Posted: Jan 11, 2008 4:47 pm

Is there still a Nathan's in Times Square?

I don't think so. When I worked in Times Square in the 80s, if one wanted to call in sick the next day, you made it a point to tell the boss you were going to eat at Nathan's and offer to bring them back a dog.... (my boss was a real food snob... hot dogs for her = death and food poisoning which meant calling in sick was expected)

In the mid/late 90s and Nathan's was gone - and in its place was a HUGE complex of offices and super stores... and Sbarro and stuff like that

I've been in NY/NJ since Monday and have not eaten anything of note... yet
Posted: Jan 11, 2008 4:54 pm

Go to Panna II for killer Indian w/ good prices and great atmosphere. It's in the village on 1st & 6th. I think.
Posted: Jan 12, 2008 12:11 am

dtrain - jerryd and I will be up there the first week of April!
Posted: Jan 12, 2008 1:27 am

damn dtrain... Everything you listed sounds amazing! Used to be able to get awesome bacon dogs from street vendors all over Hollywood. The cops shut them all down, cuz they didn't have permits. Though I think some of them have snuck back.
Actually eveyone made great suggestions... that's why i like this place. Not one sushi bar or yuppie spot mentioned.
I think i'll be making bacon dogs tonite! MM-mmm!!
thanx a bunch & keep em coming.
Posted: Jan 12, 2008 1:30 am

Dtrain is in Harrisburg right now. He just called me and said him and Goner Rhea just worked up an appetite. I wonder what that means?

Anyway, can't wait to find out what they got to eat! Me and 16 got Vietnamese today up the street from our place and it was killer. Zipper-heads rule!
Posted: Jan 13, 2008 8:57 am

I know Shopsins moved is it very far? do they still do the bacon brittle?

It's in the Lower East Side now, in the Essex Street Market (Essex & Delancey).

And, ALAS, the bacon brittle is off the menu, and when I inquired about it, I just about caused a restaurant-wide panic...

But you've still got two, densely-packed sides of the menu to choose from. (Pointing at the mac-n-cheese-pancakes, for starters...)
Posted: Jan 13, 2008 8:58 am

Oh, and do yourself a favor while you're in town, and hit this place every day for at least one meal:

http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/caracas-arepa-bar/

Everything they have is D E L I C I O U S.
Posted: Jan 13, 2008 4:49 pm

Shopsins

That documentary, I Kill Flies For A Living is great.
Posted: Jan 13, 2008 6:55 pm

Actually eveyone made great suggestions... that's why i like this place. Not one sushi bar or yuppie spot mentioned.

http://www.sakebardecibel.com/

I would never recommend this place for food, but I love this place for drinks. They have a massive variety of sakes available, most of them pretty damn good. The staff there is awesome, and help keep a pretty tolerable crowd there. I make it a point to drop in there every time I'm in NY.
Posted: Jan 14, 2008 11:37 am

When I worked in Times Square in the 80s
did you stop off for a quickie at the peep shows..?
Posted: Jan 15, 2008 4:14 pm

Da Nico on Mulberry Street...great Italian.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®